The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-24-2013, 08:42 PM   #76
concretekiller

Re: Wing or vent window rebuild

Sweet! Thank you Cougar.
Posted via Mobile Device
concretekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 04:07 PM   #77
Cougar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougar View Post
Does it matter or is it easier to install the glass into it's frame before or after installing the glass frame into the vent window assembly? Alan's pictures show the completed assembly without the glass so I assume he put it in after. I have heard thought that installing the glass into it's frame may require force to seat it properly which I think may be better to do before. Any opinions?
No opinions? I am tempted to put the glass into its partial frame before assembling the rest of the vent window. Just wondered why Alan did not.
Cougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 10:47 PM   #78
Alan's Classic
1 thing at a time is progress.

Quote:
Originally Posted by concretekiller View Post
Quick question (hope someone answers), if I pull the vent window and divider out and drive around for a few days like that, will it cause the door to distort at all?
Posted via Mobile Device
It won't be a problem. Be sure to remove or secure the roll up glass. The vent window track keeps the main glass in place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougar View Post
Does it matter or is it easier to install the glass into it's frame before or after installing the glass frame into the vent window assembly? Alan's pictures show the completed assembly without the glass so I assume he put it in after. I have heard thought that installing the glass into it's frame may require force to seat it properly which I think may be better to do before. Any opinions?
I don't see a problem doing it before or after. I didn't want glass around where I'm hammering rivets. It did take some force to get the glass to fit correctly. I used clamps and finally got it too close.
Alan's Classic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 03:38 PM   #79
68JOHNDEERE

I have rebuilt some of these frames, and a note to Cougar. If the glass frame is installed into the vent assembly there is a chance of breaking the frame loose from the bottom pivot stud when installing the glass into the frame. Speaking from experience.
68JOHNDEERE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 11:42 PM   #80
Cougar

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68JOHNDEERE View Post
I have rebuilt some of these frames, and a note to Cougar. If the glass frame is installed into the vent assembly there is a chance of breaking the frame loose from the bottom pivot stud when installing the glass into the frame. Speaking from experience.
Good thing to know. Thanks for the heads up!
Cougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 07:22 PM   #81
sboris

I saved this thread a while back, lifesaver.. Got mine wings done the other day thanks to this write up. So I thought I would bring it to the top for any new guys getting ready to do this.
The one thing I should have done different is to drill out the upper PIVOT rivot. I drilled the 2 that hold the pivot bracket to the frame. It just made it tougher because that large rubber does need to go in first, and those rivots are underneath. Therefore the wing was installed as I was trying to install the vertical rubber. I took them both apart ahead of time.. Oops
71 short step-sold
71 chevy Beauville van
My build.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=633039
sboris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 12:06 PM   #82
jdoisher

Alan, did you ever find a option for the pivot for the vent lock? Like you, I too thought I was done, than realized I was missing them.
Thanks
Jason
Old 11-08-2013, 11:21 PM   #83
Alan's Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdoisher View Post
Alan, did you ever find a option for the pivot for the vent lock? Like you, I too thought I was done, than realized I was missing them.
Thanks
Jason
I had to find some a glass frame with the stud
Old 11-09-2013, 06:02 PM   #84
zippeay

Did you replace the rubber around the frame that holds the glass "The U channel that you slide the glass out of"? The kit I ordered didn't come with that piece. It just came with the two rubber pieces you mentioned and both sites I've ordered parts from don't list it. What did you use and where did you buy it?
The picture in Step 5 on your write up shows the piece I'm talking about.

I think I found my answer. I think it's glass setting tape and you can get it at an auto glass supply place. I hope I can find some around here.

Last edited by zippeay; 11-09-2013 at 06:20 PM.
zippeay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 09:06 PM   #85
Alan's Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippeay View Post
Did you replace the rubber around the frame that holds the glass "The U channel that you slide the glass out of"? The kit I ordered didn't come with that piece. It just came with the two rubber pieces you mentioned and both sites I've ordered parts from don't list it. What did you use and where did you buy it?
The picture in Step 5 on your write up shows the piece I'm talking about.

I think I found my answer. I think it's glass setting tape and you can get it at an auto glass supply place. I hope I can find some around here.
You are correct it is called glass setting tape. You can get it locally or thru parts catalogs. Be sure to get enough for the vent windows and the roll up glass if your changing the glass. The channel on the roll up glass is held on the same way.
Old 11-13-2013, 12:06 PM   #86
zippeay

Thanks Sir!
Old 12-11-2013, 08:09 PM   #87
Mike65longbed

I have a quick question. On the channel side (window support) of the vent assembly, there is something I would describe as a canvas backed corrugated metal channel that the felt once lived in. The kit I have supplies self-adhesive strips with felt on one side. It appears that the strips are too large to fit into the channel with the corrugated metal and too small to snug the window without the channel. Any ideas? Do I keep the channel or just use the strips?

Thanks!
Mike
Mike65longbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 09:46 PM   #88
Alan's Classic

Are you able to post pics so we have a clear understanding?
Old 12-12-2013, 10:10 AM   #89
jdoisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike65longbed View Post
I have a quick question. On the channel side (window support) of the vent assembly, there is something I would describe as a canvas backed corrugated metal channel that the felt once lived in. The kit I have supplies self-adhesive strips with felt on one side. It appears that the strips are too large to fit into the channel with the corrugated metal and too small to snug the window without the channel. Any ideas? Do I keep the channel or just use the strips?

Thanks!
Mike
You bought a "cheaper" kit, its the same one I used on Maggies truck. You remove everything except the Chrome strips on the edge of the vent window frame (cut the old felt loose with a razor), yes the glass fits loose but it works fine. If doing a "real" restoration you can still get the original style!!
Old 12-12-2013, 06:36 PM   #90
Mike65longbed

Thanks for the replies!

Kit came with truck... so I was really in the dark. That is how I did it...looks OK. And thanks for the picture tips... I have to go through that thread, I have no idea how to post pics.

Cheers!

Mike
Mike65longbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 12:49 PM   #91
zippeay

For anyone that did this where did you buy your rubber from? I think I got mine from LMC and omg... These fit horrible! There's more than a half inch gap between the rubber and the door frame.... once I installed the vent window in the door...
I kept thinking I did something wrong until I put the other vent window in that I hadn't rebuilt yet and it fits pretty tight.
I started looking at the new rubber and it's much thinner than the original rubber. I know some aftermarket stuff isn't great but this is horrible. I thought about buying new rubber from Steele rubber but I'm worried I will have the same issue and it's not cheap.
Anyone have the same issues?
Old 03-01-2014, 11:24 AM   #92
Hart_Rod

Great thread!
Hart_Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 12:45 AM   #93
Alan's Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hart_Rod View Post
Great thread!
Thank you Sir.
Old 03-22-2014, 12:25 AM   #94
travtodd

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippeay View Post
For anyone that did this where did you buy your rubber from? I think I got mine from LMC and omg... These fit horrible! There's more than a half inch gap between the rubber and the door frame.... once I installed the vent window in the door...
I kept thinking I did something wrong until I put the other vent window in that I hadn't rebuilt yet and it fits pretty tight.
I started looking at the new rubber and it's much thinner than the original rubber. I know some aftermarket stuff isn't great but this is horrible. I thought about buying new rubber from Steele rubber but I'm worried I will have the same issue and it's not cheap.
Anyone have the same issues?
Bit of a delayed reply, but I have been on quite a journey replacing the vent window rubber in my 87' K5 Blazer. This thread was VERY helpful. I also had quality issues with LMC and 1A Auto. I finally ordered from Steele and found the quality to be far superior. In this case, I got what I paid for. The fit-n-finish was awesome and I could easily tell which one was from Steele just by the look and feel of the rubber.
travtodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 10:36 AM   #95
Hart_Rod

Just thought I would share this YouTube video to add to the knowledge base of this thread. I found it when I was getting ready to redo the vent windows on my 68. It specifically covers restoring a 67-72 vent window, but most of the stuff applies to other years. It's very in depth and helped answer a lot of questions. The only thing I did different was to drill out the 2 rivets holding the vent window pivot on. I chose to do it that way because the original rivet is stainless and the replacement rivet is galvanized. It adds a little more time to the project, but I thought it wold be worth it in order to have the factory pivot rivet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WiZOiHmcb_w

Rob
Attached Images

Hart_Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 02:36 PM   #96
ms2335

Fixin to get started on mine
ms2335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 10:28 PM   #97
sboris

Truck looks good Rob. Yeah this write up was a lifesaver for me.
71 short step-sold
71 chevy Beauville van
My build.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=633039
sboris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 12:30 PM   #98
Keating121

Thanks for the great help! Wow, more than 5 years later, this is still helping folks!!!
Old 01-19-2015, 12:14 AM   #99
msg

Thanks so much Alan for posting this so many years ago! Im now tackling mine and had a question.

On the vertical channel I was going to have it sandblasted and repaint it, but the chrome part had me wondering if there is a way to separate the two so they dont sandblast the chrome as well?

msg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 10:42 PM   #100
Alan's Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by msg View Post
Thanks so much Alan for posting this so many years ago! Im now tackling mine and had a question.

On the vertical channel I was going to have it sandblasted and repaint it, but the chrome part had me wondering if there is a way to separate the two so they dont sandblast the chrome as well?
I wish I had a good answer for you. It's been a while since I did this article. I remember leaving mine on. I taped the chrome sanded and primed.

Glad the write up is still helping folks.