The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-29-2016, 09:54 PM   #1
Rod Run

Vintage Air & smooth firewall question

The big brown truck dropped off my system today. I got my condenser and everything outside installed, but then I ran into a roadblock.

I mounted all the brackets on my evaporator and now have a question.

The instructions say to use 2 bolts through holes in the firewall, to mount the rear bracket. My firewall is smoothed, so I have no holes. This means I have no way to mount the bracket, or even locate the evaporator. What did you all do, that have shaved firewalls?

Thank you
Old 03-30-2016, 01:36 AM   #2
badherb

Re: Vintage Air & smooth firewall question

maybe try this
http://www.mscdirect.com/browse/tn/H...navid=12102936
Old 03-30-2016, 02:37 AM   #3
Frugalmeyer

I ordered my Vintage Air kit today and plan on smoothing my firewall. I am going to use the Vintage Air template to locate the bolt locations, drill the holes through the firewall, put the bolts against the holes from the inside with the head side facing the firewall, and spot weld through the hole onto the bolt head. Or you can spot weld the side of the bolt heads to the firewall from the inside. If your firewall is painted then those ideas probably will not work.
Frugalmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 07:30 AM   #4
Rod Run

Quote:
Originally Posted by badherb View Post
those won't really help the situation
Old 03-30-2016, 07:37 AM   #5
Rod Run

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frugalmeyer View Post
I ordered my Vintage Air kit today and plan on smoothing my firewall. I am going to use the Vintage Air template to locate the bolt locations, drill the holes through the firewall, put the bolts against the holes from the inside with the head side facing the firewall, and spot weld through the hole onto the bolt head. Or you can spot weld the side of the bolt heads to the firewall from the inside. If your firewall is painted then those ideas probably will not work.
My firewall is already smooth, so I would be guessing on template location.

You also might want to rethink your idea. The bolts twist INTO the threaded support bracket, so a stationary bolt won't do you any good. Once you get the kit, you will see what I mean.
Old 03-30-2016, 08:30 AM   #6
Hart_Rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod Run View Post
My firewall is already smooth, so I would be guessing on template location.

You also might want to rethink your idea. The bolts twist INTO the threaded support bracket, so a stationary bolt won't do you any good. Once you get the kit, you will see what I mean.
Post pictures of your firewall...
Hart_Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 09:23 AM   #7
Rod Run

It ain't pretty

Just waiting for the wetblaster to get here and strip the cab and inner fenders. Should be done in a couple/few hours. Then it's on to final bodywork
Attached Images

Old 03-30-2016, 09:46 AM   #8
Hart_Rod

Quote:
It ain't pretty

Just waiting for the wetblaster to get here and strip the cab and inner fenders. Should be done in a couple/few hours. Then it's on to final bodywork
You should be able to used the Vintage Air bracket as the template to determine where to drill your holes. There's only 2 bolts that go through the firewall that the interior bracket connects to. Here's a picture of the last one I installed.
Attached Images

Old 03-30-2016, 11:50 AM   #9
Rod Run

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hart_Rod View Post
You should be able to used the Vintage Air bracket as the template to determine where to drill your holes. There's only 2 bolts that go through the firewall that the interior bracket connects to. Here's a picture of the last one I installed.
My problem is that my firewall is/will be smooth, so there will be no holes, or bolts coming in from the outside and as I mentioned earlier, the option of welding threaded studs from the inside really won't work either, because the thread into the bracket that is already threaded

I REALLY appreciate everyone trying to help, but hopefully someone with a smoothed firewall, that has added A/C will chime in
Old 03-30-2016, 12:22 PM   #10
Hart_Rod

Quote:
My problem is that my firewall is/will be smooth, so there will be no holes, or bolts coming in from the outside and as I mentioned earlier, the option of welding threaded studs from the inside really won't work either, because the thread into the bracket that is already threaded

I REALLY appreciate everyone trying to help, but hopefully someone with a smoothed firewall, that has added A/C will chime in
Weld the bracket to the firewall.....
Old 03-30-2016, 03:17 PM   #11
cleszkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hart_Rod View Post
Weld the bracket to the firewall.....
Not an option. The bracket has to be mounted to the evaporator/interior box before it is bolted to the firewall. No access to weld on bracket.

I suggest getting someone that has a VA unit installed to make a template that goes all the way out to the edge of the first step in the firewall and has the necessary bolt hole locations marked out. That way the bolt hole locations are referenced to the edge of the first step in the firewall, a feature that is identical between a stock and smoothed firewall.
cleszkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 04:48 PM   #12
screaminchevypickup
Laid Back

It's really simple to do.. Place your metal plate that comes from V/A in place on the inside of the firewall just using it to locate your two mounting holes. The directions tell you which two to use.. Mark the holes and pull the panel off. Take two 5/16 X1" bolts and weld them in your marked locations.. On your bracket that bolts to the vintage air unit drill the threaded holes out to 3/8".. Then slide the unit in on the welded in studs and use nuts or locking nuts to secure the unit.. Then use the provided sheet metal screw to attach the top bracket the inner cowl..

Direct dealers for..

Vintage Air, Porterbuilt, Billet Specialties,Budnik wheels ,eddie motorsports, raceline wheels, intro wheels, Dakota Digital, precision, unisteer, Trimparts, and many many more... Laid Back Recreations.. Full restoration shop and full paint and body..

Kyle

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=574629
screaminchevypickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 11:10 AM   #13
Rod Run

Quote:
Originally Posted by screaminchevypickup View Post
It's really simple to do.. Place your metal plate that comes from V/A in place on the inside of the firewall just using it to locate your two mounting holes. The directions tell you which two to use.. Mark the holes and pull the panel off. Take two 5/16 X1" bolts and weld them in your marked locations.. On your bracket that bolts to the vintage air unit drill the threaded holes out to 3/8".. Then slide the unit in on the welded in studs and use nuts or locking nuts to secure the unit.. Then use the provided sheet metal screw to attach the top bracket the inner cowl..
Thanks Kyle. I actually bought this kit off of Laid Back. it's awesome to know that you guys can help out on this end too

I'm heading back out to the shop right now to take care of this. THANK YOU very much!!
Old 03-31-2016, 07:35 PM   #14
screaminchevypickup
Laid Back

No problem and thank you for the business..

Direct dealers for..

Vintage Air, Porterbuilt, Billet Specialties,Budnik wheels ,eddie motorsports, raceline wheels, intro wheels, Dakota Digital, precision, unisteer, Trimparts, and many many more... Laid Back Recreations.. Full restoration shop and full paint and body..

Kyle

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=574629
screaminchevypickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 08:37 AM   #15
MattPSU

I was in the same boat. I had shaved and painted my firewall before I bought & installed my vintage air kit. I don't have any pictures, but I made a bracket that hangs down. Two bolts run through the inside of the cowl, pointing down to hold the bracket in place. So far so good.

Good Luck!

1972 Chevy Cheyenne SWB - Build: Porterbuilt State 1 Front & Rear, Bolt in Notch, McGaughys 2.5 Drop Spindles, Boyd Welding Fuel Tank

UPSTATE SC GM TRUCK CLUB: FACEBOOK WEBSITE
MattPSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 01:43 PM   #16
Rod Run

Just mocked it up as described and it went fine. I still got to take it back down, to install my lines and see exactly where they are going to run. I bought the longer hose kit, that way I could run them out the firsewall way over toward the fender
Old 04-01-2016, 02:45 PM   #17
biketopia

Quote:
Originally Posted by screaminchevypickup View Post
Never installed one of these units but reading what everyone was saying, this idea was exactly what I was going to suggest.

07 Silverado Classic 2wd

95 Camaro 427SBC/TH350
biketopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 06:47 PM   #18
Raleighswb

Quote:
Just mocked it up as described and it went fine. I still got to take it back down, to install my lines and see exactly where they are going to run. I bought the longer hose kit, that way I could run them out the firsewall way over toward the fender
Ran my lines out the fresh air vent in the kick panel then over the inner fender to the front you only see the lines from the front of the inner fender naturally my picture is upside down but maybe this will give you another option good luck used a vintage air bulkhead
Attached Images

Raleighswb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 09:41 PM   #19
Rod Run

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raleighswb View Post
Ran my lines out the fresh air vent in the kick panel then over the inner fender to the front you only see the lines from the front of the inner fender naturally my picture is upside down but maybe this will give you another option good luck used a vintage air bulkhead
You must have uploaded the wrong picture, because there are no inner fender wells in this picture. Heck... There aren't even any lines coming out of the firewall or a bulkhead
Old 04-01-2016, 11:42 PM   #20
Zeroman

Hey Rod Run, any way you could post up pics and dimensions for the bolt placement?

I am going to have to do the same thing, but my paint will be done way before I can take delivery on my Vintage Air System.

Thanks if you can.
Zeroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 08:22 AM   #21
Rod Run

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeroman View Post
Hey Rod Run, any way you could post up pics and dimensions for the bolt placement?

I am going to have to do the same thing, but my paint will be done way before I can take delivery on my Vintage Air System.

Thanks if you can.
I'm on my way out the door for the Boston Autorama right now, but I'll see if I can figure something out later this weekend. I'm not to confident that I'll be able to get good dimensions, but I'll give it a look.

Just thought of something.....

If you give me your address, I can trace the template on a piece of paper and can mail it to you
Old 04-02-2016, 09:29 AM   #22
Zeroman

Thanks, Rod Run.

I PM'd you.

Hope you have a good Autorama.
Zeroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 07:09 PM   #23
Raleighswb

Quote:
You must have uploaded the wrong picture, because there are no inner fender wells in this picture. Heck... There aren't even any lines coming out of the firewall or a bulkhead
Truck is apart lines run out bottom of cowl lay on top of inner fender,they are hidden behind the area where the inner fender bolts to the fender here is the area at the bottom of the cowl where the bulkhead is located lines go from the unit through the fresh air vent---then you fab up something to close up that area around the lines hope this helps I ordered all my hose ends from summit
Attached Images

Old 04-03-2016, 07:11 PM   #24
Raleighswb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raleighswb View Post
Truck is apart lines run out bottom of cowl lay on top of inner fender,they are hidden behind the area where the inner fender bolts to the fender here is the area at the bottom of the cowl where the bulkhead is located lines go from the unit through the fresh air vent---then you fab up something to close up that area around the lines hope this helps I ordered all my hose ends from summit
inside
Attached Images

Old 04-05-2016, 09:39 AM   #25
Rod Run

I LOVE that idea. Thanks so much for sharing!

I will be doing that exact same thing