The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Paint & Bodywork

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-12-2014, 02:52 AM   #1
lapajost

66 C10 interior color

I'm restoring a 66 custom cab long fleetside and trying determine the original interior colors. The area I can find that have not been painted appear to be a silver-gray. The sunvisors are pretty messed up, but the cardboard under the binding looks to be silver.

I've been away from this site for a while. It seems like there was a restoration forum at one time, but I can't seem to locate it. Anyone know where I can find this information ? Thanks ........
lapajost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 07:22 AM   #2
hugger6933

Re: 66 C10 interior color

Welcome to the site, a lot of great help on here for the truck guys. I am a 67-72 and a late model guy not much on the 60-66, so I can't come with that info right off hand. There are post that pop up from time to time about the int. color of the trucks and I even found a late GM color that is used on a lot of cars, that is very close. Honda I think also has a color that is a dead on ringer I just don't know the name. If you have not already try using the search window in the top of the page it may lead you to some of the post naming the color. Jim
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 11:55 AM   #3
theastronaut

'66 would have been Fawn Poly with Dark Fawn on the dash. The dash paint had a "ruffing agent" added for a slight texture.

Here is the Fawn Poly color. '03 Nissan Sunlit Sand, code "EVO" matches it well.

'66 only Dark Fawn for the dash. This is an unfaded area from inside my original glove box.

Here is a post I found about replicating the '66 texture without using a textured paint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyertim
i'll try to describe what i did.

the first 2-3 coats are shot as usual. what i want to do is cover the surface/primer with a solid base of color. depending on your paint, i waited 5-10 minutes of flash time as usual. the distance from the surface is about 8-12 inches as usual.

the paint is single stage enamel. basf uno-hd.

i'm using an iwata supernova...not that it matters. but, it's able to spray a finer mist over the devilbiss and the binks bbr that i have. also, i usually shoot high psi with it...even though it's a hvlp gun. my old man was a painter and that's how he taught me...lol.

so...the first few coverage coats were shot at 50-60 psi. the reason i mention this is that after the first few coats, i dropped the air pressure to about 10 psi. also, i adjusted the paint flow to where it just lets a little bit of paint out of it.

understand?

what you are looking for is a fine mist of paint similar to the water mist that is applied to the fresh veggies at the supermarket.

practice a bit...it's not hard.

anywho...after the first few coverage coats, i then hold the gun about 18-24 inches away from the surface. then i mist the paint at the 10 psi and the paint flow adjusted down...just like the water and vegetable example.

don't be tempted to add more paint. you should be able to see the texture after the first mist. let it tack up 5-10 minutes (again, depending on your paint). hit it again with a fine mist. repeat until you are happy with the result.

usually, 2-3 mist coats works for me.

hopefully, you have a lot of light while you're spraying. that should help with seeing your progress.

again, practice on something. play around with different psi settings and paint flow. i find with even lower psi settings, the paint "blobs" are larger.

if you allow too much paint to flow out of the gun, the "blobs" of paint start to settle down and even out. also, if you get too much paint on the surface, the "blobs" will flow into each other and flatten out.

hope this helps!

tim

theastronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 12:57 AM   #4
lapajost

Jim, thanks for the welcome and the info. I'm just now getting back into this site and still trying to find my way around.

Astronaut, thanks for the paint info. I can't view the photos for some reason .. I'm getting a little box with an X. That's an interesting technique for the dash finish. I'll keep it in mind for when I get to that point. From your previous postings, you've done some nice trucks. Where do you make the color transitions from exterior to interior on the doors ? I'm not looking to get it exactly as original, just close.
Old 03-13-2014, 07:53 AM   #5
lapajost

Astronaut, I was finally able to view the photos. That Nissan color is a great match. Making notes !.. Thanks.
Old 03-13-2014, 02:43 PM   #6
theastronaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapajost View Post
Astronaut, I was finally able to view the photos. That Nissan color is a great match. Making notes !.. Thanks.
Glad to be a help! On the masking, I went around the inside edge of the door skin flap that's folded over around the edge. Not 100% sure if that's where the factory split was, don't have an original paint truck to go by.
theastronaut is offline   Reply With Quote