The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-11-2018, 07:24 PM   #1
Hart_Rod

Re: Detroit Steel Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by bMr View Post
US Mags Sierra is a forged aluminum wheel costing upwards of $900/ea. This is steel. Apples v oranges.

http://detroitsteelwheel.com/wp-cont..._Retail_v1.pdf
Don't forget beauty ring @$60 apiece, center cap @$50 apiece, paint or powder coat $150??, + shipping. I would guess around $1800 for a complete set shipped. Still alot cheaper than US Mags.
Hart_Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 07:42 PM   #2
Gromit

I like these wheels well enough and especially if the wheel can fit the original dog dish hubcaps - (though I realize that is not yet the case with these without modifications).

I still use my truck mostly as a truck though and on occasion will travel to the brickyard and pick up a cubic yard of some sand or granite aggregate or clay bricks or pavers.

So I wonder what the load rating is on these wheels - I hope it will be at least what is stated on our OEM load capacity tag..(though I don't recall that figure for a C-10 with HD rear springs.. guessing 1,100 lbs.? (why they call it a half-ton?)
Gromit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 10:17 AM   #3
hewittca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gromit View Post
I like these wheels well enough and especially if the wheel can fit the original dog dish hubcaps - (though I realize that is not yet the case with these without modifications).

I still use my truck mostly as a truck though and on occasion will travel to the brickyard and pick up a cubic yard of some sand or granite aggregate or clay bricks or pavers.

So I wonder what the load rating is on these wheels - I hope it will be at least what is stated on our OEM load capacity tag..(though I don't recall that figure for a C-10 with HD rear springs.. guessing 1,100 lbs.? (why they call it a half-ton?)
I'm not sure specifically on the load rating for these, but I'm sure it's more than enough to do some hauling. I've seen quite a few people hauling stuff with their plain steel wheels. I'm running transits which are very similar in construction and they are DOT approved (as are the Mobsteel wheels) and I haul stuff all the time no problem. The wheels are constructed in a very similar fashion to the stock wheels on our trucks. Much more important than the wheels ability I think is making sure your low profile tire is up to the task.
-
C10 Concept/Development Photos: Master Thread
hewittca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 01:34 PM   #4
ARCTICFRONTIER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gromit View Post

Their other rims can be drilled and tapped to allow dog dish caps. I’d assume these are the same. My plan is to run these eventually. My money tied up in a complete suspension upgrade and brake swap.

ARCTICFRONTIER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 01:51 PM   #5
ARCTICFRONTIER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hart_Rod View Post
Don't forget beauty ring @$60 apiece, center cap @$50 apiece, paint or powder coat $150??, + shipping. I would guess around $1800 for a complete set shipped. Still alot cheaper than US Mags.
My plan is to run without the beauty rims, thankfully I have a set of dog dish caps to use. I’m 6x5.5 and want to run a staggered rims so my options are pretty limited without breaking the bank.

18x8 rims $279 each
20x9 rims $288 each
Powder coat $140 per set
Drill and tap for dog dish cap $15 each

$1334 plus tax. Not bad I guess. US Mags I price at above $900 each plus caps, taxes and shipping. I can’t afford that.

Shipping will kill me though. I’m in Canada and a long way from Detroit.
Old 01-12-2018, 01:59 PM   #6
Ekliptix

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARCTICFRONTIER View Post

Shipping will kill me though. I’m in Canada and a long way from Detroit.
What I do is have US items shipped to the boarder, Montana in my case. There are companies there who will receive your shipment and hold it for a couple dollars per day. You take a drive down to the US boarder, pick up your stuff, pay duty and GST en route back home. Save a lot on shipping, especially with Summit and others who offer free shipping within the US.

The drive isn't worth it for small dollar items, but is for stuff like this.
Drivetrain: Built 402BB, TCI Streetfighter 700R4, 2,500 stall, Eaton posi, 3.73. Suspension/Chassis: ECE 4.5/6.5 drop, CPP nitrogen shocks, CPP front and rear sway bar, CPP cross members. Exhaust: 3" exhaust with x-pipe, Spintech 3000 mufflers, Hooker ceramic coated headers. Best 1/4 mile time: TBD.
Ekliptix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 02:05 PM   #7
ARCTICFRONTIER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ekliptix View Post
What I do is have US items shipped to the boarder, Montana in my case. There are companies there who will receive your shipment and hold it for a couple dollars per day. You take a drive down to the US boarder, pick up your stuff, pay duty and GST en route back home.

The drive isn't worth it for small dollar items, but is for stuff like this.
That’s probably what I will do. We use Plentywood Package Service or Curtiss Farm Equipment (also in Plentywood).

My sister lives in Ontario so there might be some option there. She’s only about 1.5 hrs from Detroit
Old 04-20-2018, 03:44 PM   #8
MoFormula

Mounted today...trim rings on the way.
Attached Images

MoFormula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 03:50 PM   #9
ARCTICFRONTIER

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoFormula View Post
Looks great!
Old 04-20-2018, 03:55 PM   #10
Hart_Rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoFormula View Post
How did you attached the center caps?
Hart_Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 04:00 PM   #11
MoFormula

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hart_Rod View Post
How did you attached the center caps?
DSW has a mounting system available now.
MoFormula is offline   Reply With Quote