The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board > 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans and PanelsProjects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-21-2017, 02:51 PM   #1701
Hart_Rod

Re: 1969 SuperBurb build-up (Bagged and Blown!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5150 View Post
I better see this thing in July at the Southeastern ALL Chevy/GMC Truck Nationals!!
You will. Just not sure what year....
Hart_Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 06:17 PM   #1702
WannaBe68

Headliner turned out great! I'm almost to the point I need to get on this in my Sub. Did you need to use a heat gun, or something, to get the plastic to stay curved at the sides?
And was there a certain order putting them in that made things easier? One more! - looking at the plastic now, how would you rate the "look" of it?
Attached Images

WannaBe68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 09:05 PM   #1703
HO455
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hart_Rod View Post
I have an idea, but I'm waiting on someone to confirm that you can get a wire up through the bolt in the corner to the top of the headliner. I don't mind redrilling the hole I welded up, as long as I know it will allow me to run my wires correctly.
I will try to remember on Monday to check and see if it is possible.
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 12:45 AM   #1704
C10 Club Tennessee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hart_Rod View Post
You will. Just not sure what year....
Well, I hope it's 2017!

www.gmtruckshow.com

Project "Andes"-Halen's First Truck

Project: Patina Burb

for he is God’s servant for your good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is the servant of God, an avenger who carries out God’s wrath on the wrongdoer. Romans 13:4
5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 08:46 AM   #1705
Street Smart

Headliner looks great !!! Let us know if the re-pop ribs work out.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/gallery/...=74049&cat=500
Street Smart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 09:47 AM   #1706
Hart_Rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Smart View Post
Headliner looks great !!! Let us know if the re-pop ribs work out.
Thanks, most definitely will!

Quote:
Well, I hope it's 2017!
I do too, but with everything lately seeming to take twice as long, no guarantees....

Quote:
Originally Posted by HO455 View Post
I would really appreciate it. I would really like to get that crossed off of my list, .

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaBe68 View Post
Headliner turned out great! I'm almost to the point I need to get on this in my Sub. Did you need to use a heat gun, or something, to get the plastic to stay curved at the sides?
And was there a certain order putting them in that made things easier? One more! - looking at the plastic now, how would you rate the "look" of it?
Thanks, I've been meaning to write this for a while but just haven't taken the time to sit down and do it. You don't need a heat gun, but if you think you need a little contouring in the front corners, just use a hair dryer just be careful and don't over do it. You mainly need a little patience and a extra hand if you have one, .

I installed them in this order, rear panel, front panel and then the two smaller panels (your choice on which one first). The front panel was the hardest and you really need help to work it in because of the compound curve in each corner. You really need help on this one because you will be "slapping" the panel forward and you need someone to help guide it into the 1/2" metal channel that the edges of each roof board goes in. That's why I did the rear panel first as it easier to install. You have to "slap" it to get it to move also, but not having the curve makes it little easier and it gives you some practice at it.

So the way I began installing each panel was to put one side into the 1/2" channel (L or R, doesn't matter). Then, I would let it sag in the middle, which allowed me to put the other side in the channel. The FRP is flexible enough to do this, just be careful. Once both side are seated in the channel, then you can push up on the middle until it fits the contour of the roof. If your panel is trimmed correctly, the tension created by the bow of the roof should hold it up and there should be no ripples in it. I cut my panels a little wide (1/8") to make sure I had plenty of material. Plus, it's always easier to cut more off than to add it back, . It took me several removal/installations and trimmings to get each panel to fit the way I wanted them to. Once you are happy with the fit, then you can start "slapping" it to slide it in the rear groove (front and back panel only). Be careful, because if you slap to hard, you can actually crack the FRP, which is a $35 mistake (don't ask how I know...). You can then fit the two center panels such that when you push up in the middle they are in place.

Bottom line, if you take your time (I played around with mine for a week or two), you can get a really nice finished product. Maybe not factory, but pretty close AND I think it will last longer as these panels are waterproof and should not warp. One more tip, If you take a marker and color the brackets where the screws go to hold the center of each panel up, you can gently rub the panel after you have fitted it in order to mark where your screw hole should go.

Also, if you don't have your original headliner boards to use for templates, there are some good diagrams and info in this thread that will get you started:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...install&page=2

Last edited by Hart_Rod; 04-24-2017 at 09:34 AM.
Old 04-22-2017, 10:23 AM   #1707
kvn1011
Kvn1011

Im just here to say that it still looks awesome!!
kvn1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 08:34 PM   #1708
WannaBe68

Rob,
Thanks for the great write-up, Man! I copied and pasted that into my headliner file so I can study it later. Looking forward to any thing else you might you remember!
Old 04-23-2017, 12:00 PM   #1709
Hart_Rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvn1011 View Post
Im just here to say that it still looks awesome!!
Thanks!

Quote:
Rob,
Thanks for the great write-up, Man! I copied and pasted that into my headliner file so I can study it later. Looking forward to any thing else you might you remember!
No problem. Are you using Portheadlights diagrams?

On a side note, since I changed the door panels to 72, I had to change all the door mechanisms to the longer 72 pivot arm. This was fairly simple everywhere expect for the rear door window regulators. You can't purchase them aftermarket as no one makes them, and I gave up finding a good set of used ones. I happened to have a good set of 72 front door regulators, so I disassembled them and removed the longer 72 pivot arm. I then disassembled my original 67-71 rear door regulators, regreased everything and swapped out the pivot arm and put everything back together. Waaalaaahhh, it worked like a charm! As soon as I get my new window seals and door felt in, I'll be able to wrap up the rear window install, .

Last edited by Hart_Rod; 04-24-2017 at 09:38 AM.
Old 04-23-2017, 01:35 PM   #1710
WannaBe68

[QUOTE=Hart_Rod;7923426

No problem. Are you using Portheadlights diagrams?

[/QUOTE]

I do have those handwritten diagrams with measurements, but I was able to recently pick up a set of complete original headliners that I'm planning to use as templates. They are not quite good enough to salvage and use, but complete enough to use as templates.

How are you liking the "look" of the plastic you used? I haven't settled 100% on a material yet, but that plastic looks pretty good, at least in pictures.
Old 04-23-2017, 01:55 PM   #1711
Hart_Rod

Quote:
I do have those handwritten diagrams with measurements, but I was able to recently pick up a set of complete original headliners that I'm planning to use as templates. They are not quite good enough to salvage and use, but complete enough to use as templates.

How are you liking the "look" of the plastic you used? I haven't settled 100% on a material yet, but that plastic looks pretty good, at least in pictures.
Personally, I think it looks really good. No perforated holes to collect dust and it's easy to clean, . I'm glad I went with the satin looking FRP and not the glossy style. I think the glossy panels would have been too much. I think these panels are paintable, so that's always an option if you don't like the look as is.

Last edited by Hart_Rod; 04-24-2017 at 09:43 AM.
Old 04-24-2017, 07:48 PM   #1712
HO455
Post Whore

Quote:
I looked into getting into the header void (?) to no avail. Using a piece of 14 guage soild conductor wire I could get from the bolt out, but not into the void, and I couldn't get from the void through the hinge bolt holes or the hinge cutouts. The green arrow shows where I got through and the red ones where I couldn't.
Attached Images

Old 04-25-2017, 09:03 AM   #1713
Hart_Rod

Quote:
I looked into getting into the header void (?) to no avail. Using a piece of 14 guage soild conductor wire I could get from the bolt out, but not into the void, and I couldn't get from the void through the hinge bolt holes or the hinge cutouts. The green arrow shows where I got through and the red ones where I couldn't.
I'm confused. On the bottom portion of the picture there is a green and red arrow going through the bolt hole. Where you able to get to the top of the headliner there? If so, that's what I was trying to accomplish!
Attached Images

Old 04-26-2017, 12:41 PM   #1714
HO455
Post Whore

Sorry for not being clear. Turning the photo may help. I put the test wire into the bolt hole and got it to come out under the headliner. (Next to those stupid crimp clamp connectors the PO used for trailer lights). That would be the green arrow.
I thought you wanted to get past the weld seam into the void area where the hinge bolts on. That is what all the red arrows were about.
Attached Images

Old 04-26-2017, 01:35 PM   #1715
Hart_Rod

Quote:
Sorry for not being clear. Turning the photo may help. I put the test wire into the bolt hole and got it to come out under the headliner. (Next to those stupid crimp clamp connectors the PO used for trailer lights). That would be the green arrow.
I thought you wanted to get past the weld seam into the void area where the hinge bolts on. That is what all the red arrows were about.
No that's exactly what I need to know! I'm going to shift the wire for my light closer to the corner of the hatch and then redrill the hole to run up to the headliner. I picked up some spiral wire, so hopefully this won't look to bad. Thanks for checking into this!
Old 05-06-2017, 08:15 PM   #1716
C10 Club Tennessee

Thought I'd share a pic of Rob's burb from the Battle in Bama show today. I believe it was its maiden voyage. See you in July at the Southeastern ALL Chevy/GMC Truck Nationals, Rob

www.gmtruckshow.com

for he is God’s servant for your good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is the servant of God, an avenger who carries out God’s wrath on the wrongdoer. Romans 13:4
Old 05-06-2017, 09:20 PM   #1717
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Wish I could have made it over there.

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 09:51 PM   #1718
likaroc13
Rollin' Old Skool

Quote:
Thought I'd share a pic of Rob's burb from the Battle in Bama show today. I believe it was its maiden voyage. See you in July at the Southeastern ALL Chevy/GMC Truck Nationals, Rob
Would be nice to see it there. Looks awesome, Rob!

My Build threads:
1966 Chevy C-10 "Black Betty"

shortbed, fleetside, BBW, 327 V8/ Powerglide (under construction)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ighlight=betty

1997 Chevy Tahoe, 2dr/2wd, mild custom (Daily driver)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=601142

Pics:
'66 C-10 https://flic.kr/s/aHsjHWD4h9
'97 Tahoe https://flic.kr/s/aHsjGZ7wKP
'93 C-1500 https://flic.kr/s/aHskxdpdnQ
'88 S-10 Blazer https://flic.kr/s/aHsjYGx4Md

Previous Rides:
1993 Chevy S-10 ext. cab, 4.3L, 4/5 drop (Sold)
1993 Chevy C-1500 short/step Retro-Rod (Sold)
1988 S-10 Blazer 2dr/2wd mild custom (Sold)
likaroc13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 04:38 AM   #1719
ajgriffin

Worth every penny!
Old 05-08-2017, 08:35 AM   #1720
Bennett68C10

Congrats on the maiden voyage Rob, the Burb looks awesome.

66 Suburban

Burb Build Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=751361

IG: bennett68c10
Bennett68C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 08:19 AM   #1721
Hart_Rod

Quote:
Thanks Bryan. The wife and I were talking last night about trying to make it up for the show. We just need to take a good look at the calendar. I'll keep you posted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palf70Step View Post

Wish I could have made it over there.
Thanks Bill would have been nice to see you again, hopefully I can make it over for CTC this fall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by likaroc13 View Post
Would be nice to see it there. Looks awesome, Rob!
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajgriffin View Post
Worth every penny!
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennett68C10 View Post
Congrats on the maiden voyage Rob, the Burb looks awesome.
Thanks Keith! I almost didn't go as the Suburban is not totally finished and I hate showing it like that. But at some point, you get tired of working on them and just want to drive them, . It drove really well and everything worked as it should. I'm still working on the tune, but the drivability was good and I got around 15 mpg running around 75. I think that will go up as we have the tune somewhat rich. Other than that, I'm still working on the interior. My door panels are repainted and I received the restored Cheyenne door trim from CSM. I think it came our really well, . Will get everything put on in the next couple of weeks as I wrap up the interior.
Attached Images

Last edited by Hart_Rod; 05-09-2017 at 08:44 AM.
Old 05-09-2017, 08:29 AM   #1722
duke_lbz

Was really wanting to check this thing out in person but I guess I got there after you had left Saturday.

99 GMC Yukon solid axle swapped
67 Chevy c10 small window swb stepside supercharged ls6
70 Chevy c10 suburban
72 K5 Blazer 4wd
duke_lbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 05:40 PM   #1723
knomadd

Those interior panels look good!

C/10 Club Texas member
1971 Chevy C10 "Brutus" SWB Fleetside 2016 6.0L (L96) 6L90E (driver/project)
1965 Pontiac GTO "Royal Goat" 400/TH400 w/AC (my baby)
knomadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 09:44 AM   #1724
Hart_Rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by duke_lbz View Post
Was really wanting to check this thing out in person but I guess I got there after you had left Saturday.
Sorry about that , maybe at the next show, .

Quote:
Originally Posted by knomadd View Post
Those interior panels look good!
Thanks! I'm really happy with them and thing they will compliment the interior, .

Did an LED headlight install last night, it's really a night and day difference, .

Got the idea for the lights from looking at boardmember JWALL's square build:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/322177905990...AIT&rmvSB=true
Attached Images

Old 05-10-2017, 10:04 AM   #1725
C10 Club Tennessee

Quote:
Thanks Bryan. The wife and I were talking last night about trying to make it up for the show. We just need to take a good look at the calendar. I'll keep you posted.
Rob, if you have any questions or need me to do anything please don't hesitate to ask.

www.gmtruckshow.com