The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-30-2020, 04:50 PM   #1
weq92f

A prediction and a suggestion.

I just read a news article that detailed one of our State's governor's intentions regarding plans to reopen the local economy. It involved COVID testing and contact tracing on a pretty large scale.

Contact tracing is not an exact science even if we use some of the newer technologies available such as facial recognition and geo location data stored in our personal devices ( phones ). However these government people are going to attempt to go back in time for every COVID-19 positive case and locate every contact for the past 14 days and then isolate or otherwise quarantine each of those contacts for a period of time.

Prediction:
Armies of Contact Tracers are going to be hired and trained ( very quickly ) on the basics of what they need to know. They are then going to be given authority to determine who is required by law to be isolated or quarantined based on their own possibly flawed interpretation of whatever data is put in front of them or whatever information they deem relevant to the case at hand.

Suggestion:
When this starts happening, avoid carrying a GPS enabled device around with you when you travel. If you need to have one, power it down until you actually need to use it. Wear full facial coverings to avoid being caught up in any kind of facial recognition software net and therefore being spotted electronically at any specific location at a specific time. Use cash or gift cards for any purchases to avoid being traced at the check out stand.

This will prevent you from getting a call ( or a visit from local law enforcement ) informing you that you and everyone in your household must self isolate because you have potentially been infected with the COVID-19.

-klb
99 540 sport V8 6sp -- sold
73 240z L24 4sp -- given to friend
68 C10 step 350/350 3.73 open -- sold
weq92f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 05:16 PM   #2
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Re: A prediction and a suggestion.

-
I don't think they can trace it if you don't have "Location" turned on.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 07:11 PM   #3
Thealien

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
-

LockDoc
I have been reading news stories of them using phone data to tell if people are in groups etc. I certainly don't know but I assume they are tracking?

Mention something out of the ordinary near your phone and see what adds start popping up.

Not trying to be paranoid or political but I wouldn't want to be doing something I wasn't supposed to with my phone in my possession GPS off or on, phone off or on. I have worked in nuclear power plants and had many background checks so I am squeaky clean but if I wasn't....
Thealien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 07:20 PM   #4
Willie Makeit

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
-

LockDoc
sure can. all they (authorities/phone company) need to know is your number. they can then look at transmitter tower logs and querie your phone "ping" log on those towers and calculate the location using a process called triangulation.
Willie Makeit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 07:47 PM   #5
The Rocknrod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Makeit View Post
sure can. all they (authorities/phone company) need to know is your number. they can then look at transmitter tower logs and querie your phone "ping" log on those towers and calculate the location using a process called triangulation.
Even with the phone off?
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 07:47 PM   #6
72c20customcamper

Google maps already uses it. They know where there is a slow down by how fast the phones are moving . If you want total annimity. Pull the battery but some phones you cant so what's with that?
1969 AMX ,
1968 c20 stepside ,85 K20
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
72c20customcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 07:49 PM   #7
72c20customcamper

Interesting

https://www.seattletimes.com/busines...a-traffic-jam/
1969 AMX ,
1968 c20 stepside ,85 K20
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
72c20customcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 09:01 PM   #8
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

All you have to do is wrap your phone in aluminum foil. Really. Even one of those "smoke" colored electrostatic discharge bags provide a good shield, which I can personally attest to. The ubiquity of cameras will defeat that, but the gov can't trace your phone if it is shielded. Of course, as soon as you uncover it for use, you're caught in your nefarious scheme.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 06:32 AM   #9
special-K
Special Order

I just got my first phone of this type last fall. I don't call them smart, that is a term used for living creatures. Maybe highly capable would be a better name. I haven't added a single app, don't use navigation, really do not like the phone. I am seriously considering getting another superior quality and far more functional for use as a phone flip phone. I lost my last one or I'd still have it. It was seven years old and going strong. Better reception and function over the highly capable phone I'm using. Extremely durable, made to military spec for their use and law enforcement. I'd rather peck out a text on that thing than deal with the shortcomings of my highly capable phone. I know all mobile phones can be tracked by use, but I just really liked that phone and hate this one.

They'll have to hire an awful lot of people to do this tracking

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 07:02 AM   #10
Boog
laying low

Don't forget your foil beenies.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/282882420332435920/
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 07:18 AM   #11
jjzepplin

I am surprised that a survivalist has not gone "Rambo" yet. I guess this is what we get for not living in the mountains and hunting and gathering.
jjzepplin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 07:47 AM   #12
The Rocknrod

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjzepplin View Post
I am surprised that a survivalist has not gone "Rambo" yet. I guess this is what we get for not living in the mountains and hunting and gathering.
He's too busy watching Tik Tok.
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 11:07 AM   #13
FleetsidePaul
R.I.P. E.S.L.L.

If someone is tracking me I feel sorry for them. They're going to get really bored, really fast.

"Oh look. He's taking another nap"

1970 CST 20

1970 C/30 Flatbed

1983 C/30 Dually

2015 Corvette Z51 2021 Corvette Z51 1991 Cadillac Hearse 1982 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz 2000 Porsche Boxster S 2020 Jeep Gladiator 1973 VW Thing 1973 Plymouth Satellite wagon 1963 Baja Bug 1959 Bug Dune Buggy 1970 Baja Bug 1987 Jaguar XJ 350.

R.I.P. El Jay

R.I.P Jessie.

R.I.P Grumpy.

Every day is a gift from God.
FleetsidePaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 12:33 PM   #14
1976gmc20

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
I just got my first phone of this type last fall. I don't call them smart, that is a term used for living creatures. Maybe highly capable would be a better name. I haven't added a single app, don't use navigation, really do not like the phone. I am seriously considering getting another superior quality and far more functional for use as a phone flip phone. I lost my last one or I'd still have it. It was seven years old and going strong. Better reception and function over the highly capable phone I'm using. Extremely durable, made to military spec for their use and law enforcement. I'd rather peck out a text on that thing than deal with the shortcomings of my highly capable phone. I know all mobile phones can be tracked by use, but I just really liked that phone and hate this one.

They'll have to hire an awful lot of people to do this tracking
Net10 told us our old phone wouldn't work anymore and we had to get a new one. So we reluctantly ordered a new Galaxy from their website, but after a couple weeks they never could get it to connect to their network from Montana. Finally after a lot of wasted time and a complaint to the CC company, we got them to take it back and reverse all the charges including the "plan" that didn't work at all.

So we went to Radio Shack and got a $20 flip phone and made them get it connected and working before we left the shop with it. It costs about $7 a month to keep it active, and we only ever even turn it on when we are in town or on a long trip because there is no cell service at all out in the "holler" where we live. Even on long trips it is Off most of the time because there is no cell service between towns most of the places between here and Colorado. Heck, some towns don't even have cell service

I wouldn't have the damn thing at all except for the hope that if we broke down somewhere that we might be able to call for assistance, and it's handy when one of us goes to town to be able to call home to check-in. That way I know when she left town to drive home and how long to wait before getting worried about her (about 1.5 hrs).

Last time we went over to a neighbor's house to visit with her and another couple, first thing they do is get out their stupid phones and set them on the table so they could keep checking them (neighbor lives up on a hill). I thought it was danged rude and almost just up and walked out right then
1958 Chevy C-60; 1965 GMC C-50; 1965 Chevy C-10; 1971 Chevy K-10; 1973 Chevy K-20; 1976 GMC C-20; 1977 Chevy C-10 Suburban; 1980 Chevy K-10; 1989 Chevy K1500; 1991 GMC V1500 Suburban; 2016 Chevy K2500 HD

Other vehicles: 1988 Jeep XJ; 2011 Toyota 4Runner
1976gmc20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 12:49 PM   #15
weq92f

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72c20customcamper View Post
Exactly!

Now imagine Google and Apple doing what they say their working on right now with GPS tracking and then providing that data to the government under subpoena. Then BAM! they have a massive network of moving targets that can be used to assemble a very accurate COVID-19 Contact Tracing Program complete with names and locations down to a few meters.

Based on previously revealed information, we know Apple devices already keep a log of GPS location data regardless of the Location Services settings. It's not a big stretch to assume Google ( Android ) is doing or could easily begin doing the same, you know, under the guise of safety for all...right.

This type of tracking system might be useful to other branches for other nefarious purposes as well...

Right back to "No reason to let a good pandemic go to waste" eh?

-klb
Old 05-01-2020, 01:09 PM   #16
Rich84

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1976gmc20 View Post
Last time we went over to a neighbor's house to visit with her and another couple, first thing they do is get out their stupid phones and set them on the table so they could keep checking them (neighbor lives up on a hill). I thought it was danged rude and almost just up and walked out right then
Well I need my phone because I have a crew working all over the state. But the reason I slap the phone on the table is because by butt will bend it in half if i sit on it.
Rich84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 01:46 PM   #17
Willie Makeit

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rocknrod View Post
Even with the phone off?
I was responding to the post asking about the "Location" featuring being turned off
Willie Makeit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 02:03 PM   #18
dajn
Account Suspended

I know a guy can get by with directions and a map but what a pain in the ass that would be for me. My smart phone is a life saver with the GPS. Just today I have five stops. I am on the third job of the day now. So much easier when my boss can just send me a pin for the new job location. Saves so much time and so much less stressful.
dajn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 06:47 PM   #19
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Quote:
Net10 told us our old phone wouldn't work anymore and we had to get a new one. So we reluctantly ordered a new Galaxy from their website, but after a couple weeks they never could get it to connect to their network from Montana. Finally after a lot of wasted time and a complaint to the CC company, we got them to take it back and reverse all the charges including the "plan" that didn't work at all.

So we went to Radio Shack and got a $20 flip phone and made them get it connected and working before we left the shop with it. It costs about $7 a month to keep it active, and we only ever even turn it on when we are in town or on a long trip because there is no cell service at all out in the "holler" where we live. Even on long trips it is Off most of the time because there is no cell service between towns most of the places between here and Colorado. Heck, some towns don't even have cell service

I wouldn't have the damn thing at all except for the hope that if we broke down somewhere that we might be able to call for assistance, and it's handy when one of us goes to town to be able to call home to check-in. That way I know when she left town to drive home and how long to wait before getting worried about her (about 1.5 hrs).

Well, Elon Musk is launching some 1500+ rattle can spacecraft that are going to bring the internet to the whole world. You'll have phone coverage then, I imagine...if your phone has internet access.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 09:31 PM   #20
joedoh

I used to go to china for work and before the first trip I bought an RFID shielded wallet. Passports have an RFID strand in them, and when going through any chinese airport I was always singled out for search or paperwork inspection, which I guess means it works.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 09:33 PM   #21
1976gmc20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeveedee View Post
Well, Elon Musk is launching some 1500+ rattle can spacecraft that are going to bring the internet to the whole world. You'll have phone coverage then, I imagine...if your phone has internet access.
I think it might have wi-fi ability but I don't know since there's no point in it.

So are these satellites going to beam wi-fi all the way down from orbit ???

That sort of makes all the fiber optic construction a waste.
1958 Chevy C-60; 1965 GMC C-50; 1965 Chevy C-10; 1971 Chevy K-10; 1973 Chevy K-20; 1976 GMC C-20; 1977 Chevy C-10 Suburban; 1980 Chevy K-10; 1989 Chevy K1500; 1991 GMC V1500 Suburban; 2016 Chevy K2500 HD

Other vehicles: 1988 Jeep XJ; 2011 Toyota 4Runner
1976gmc20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 11:33 PM   #22
weq92f

Quote:
I think it might have wi-fi ability but I don't know since there's no point in it.

So are these satellites going to beam wi-fi all the way down from orbit ???

That sort of makes all the fiber optic construction a waste.

The orbital bandwidth will not compete with local fiber. The intent of these systems is to bring service to areas where it isn't otherwise available, at considerably reduced speeds.

-klb
Old 05-02-2020, 06:28 AM   #23
special-K
Special Order

My device causes more stress for me than finding where I have to go w/o GPS. I have never used that and can find places same way I have all my life. It's an important thing to me to not become so dependent. These devices have people so dependent and lame it's ridiculous. Most are brainwashed into thinking these are all things we actually need. As far as I'm concerned "app" is not a real word. But hearing people use it helps identify them as brainwashed dependents for me. I never want my life to circle around a "device". I think in time you will find more and more people waking up and taking a step back once the newness has worn off.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 07:38 AM   #24
richard2717
Equal opportunity joke ofender

Most people have no idea how to even read a map book anymore. It really is sad
Dually Jams, OlBlue60, ScottH, Tommyboy24, Dujobo, Warbucket, 2003 Silverado, Notsolo, my90k5, 6t727t2, Special-K ,Jack_71C10, tabarcus,72blazer_mud_bogger,pwdcougar,RSavage,EricSean,1Rippen6,invicta455,tennaragtop71,arks, Kendal,Bennett68C10, Perpendicular, Chainsawman, McGeesCustomMinis,ShortbedClayton,longblue72,6768chevylover,Tim71,Travisarmenta,Ol' Drippy,fleetmitch,georgieb51,Dave,bcnya2,Dadsburb
https://paypal.me/6772GMtruckparts
Most women like the strong, silent type… Fortunately for me, my wife prefers the out-of-shape, mouthy type.
richard2717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 08:34 AM   #25
jjzepplin

I had to get a net10 flip phone when my I phone suffered catastrophic failure. My job depended on constant communication. It worked but was difficult. I have to send building codes and installation schedules for windows and doors so the the flip made it so I had to use a computer with wifi. They can follow me if they want as I am not doing anything but staying home for all of your safety. When I get that Blazer running- I doubt they can catch me. Anyway, it's gonna take more police than citizens for this to be effective. At that point there would be revolution, At least from me.
jjzepplin is offline   Reply With Quote