View Single Post
Old 09-27-2015, 06:54 PM   #114
theastronaut

Re: Winter Beater Build- '66 BBW Custom Short/Fleet with Heat!

Went to Oreilly's and picked up a couple quarts of Dupli-Color clear, one matte and one gloss. I cleaned the gate with razor blade scraper and a red scuff pad with dish detergent to get the loose rust and dead paint off. Mixed the clear 50/50 and shot a spot on the inside of the tailgate, and also a license plate to see how it would look on a smoother surface like the top of the hood.

Before, paint was chalky and rust stained.

After scraping and scuffing.

And after shooting clear. It's very overcast so it looks like it has more sheen than it actually does.

The license plate shows the amount of sheen better.

Also sanded and painted the wood strips for the bed floor, and shot the metal strips with satin black. There is almost zero grain showing through even though I tried raising the grain by lightly misting water on the bare wood after it was sanded. This is why I didn't want to use it for Goldilocks, it just looks like plain black boads. Plus it's too heavy for 'Locks, she'll be going on a strict diet back there... It's fine for this truck though. I'm about halfway through grinding all of the welds down from the steel floor, so once that's done I can clean/scuff the inside of the bed and stick the wood floor in for good.

theastronaut is offline   Reply With Quote