View Single Post
Old 01-20-2022, 05:55 PM   #291
theastronaut

Re: 1966 F100 Short Bed Styleside Metal/Body/Paint Work

The door was way off before I took the truck apart, and stripping the paint didn't magically make them fit better.

The door was sunk inward so far at the front that slotting the bolt holes inthe hinge wasn't enough to get the door out far enough. The outside edge of the top hinge was hitting the hinge pocket in the A-pillar, so I ground off a bit of the hinge and used an air hammer to push the pocket out wider. This pic shows where the hinge was contacting the pocket.

With the door out enough to match the windshield post and fender height, the bottom half of the cowl no longer lined up. I left the rust repair in the bottom of the cowl sides unfinished in case this didn't line up, at this stage I can easily reset the cowl width to match the door and hood width/shape.

The corner profile between the door and pillar were mismatched so I cut the cowl and jamb to reshape that corner to match the door.

Window frame starting point. The top is already way better than the before pic, disassembling the roof and drip rails let me straighten a lot of the inconsistencies out of the rails.

Huge A pillar gap.

Tapered B pillar gap.

Typical taper of the B pillar- flush at the top but sticks out at the bottom. Would love to know Ford's reasoning for their terrible fitment here.

1/8" welding rod welded to the door edge and pillar edge.

Ground flush, blacked out, marked to set the new gap.

Rod edges ground straight and sanded smooth. The gaps are set to roughly .156".

theastronaut is offline   Reply With Quote