View Single Post
Old 12-09-2019, 05:30 PM   #64
theastronaut

Re: 1966 F100 Short Bed Styleside Metal/Body/Paint Work

Quick update on the '39, I now remember why I don't like going behind other people's body and paint work! I'm guessing whoever did the bodywork before didn't have a flexible sanding block, there wasn't a properly shaped spot on it. Really fun to try to blend in good bodywork into "friendly" bodywork. It's in epoxy now and at the paint store for color matching. It'll be a few more weeks before we get the new grill for fitting.

Back to the '66. The bed tops are fully bodyworked and ready for epoxy sealer except for adding and shaping the seam sealer.

I started prepping to weld the bed floor in by using tubing to align the side panels and leveling/squaring the bed on a body cart. The header panel was slightly out at the front so I pulled it in with ratchet straps to correct that before tacking the front corner panels in place. As usual, I applied epoxy between the layers to prevent future rust.

The bed floor had a few high spots where we accidentally over-stretched before adding the ribs. That was an easy fix with the shrinking disc. Still need to fine tune it before welding it in but the overall shape is correct now. I also trimmed the floor to the correct length so it can be dropped in for a test fit.

Before/after.

theastronaut is offline   Reply With Quote