View Single Post
Old 01-02-2024, 07:34 PM   #369
theastronaut

Re: 1966 F100 Short Bed Styleside Metal/Body/Paint Work

Building the lower door skins. I started by making templates of the cab corner and fender bottom so I can match the skin to the adjacent panels.

The inner door flange was marked and trim to make room for the outer skin.

Skin shaped on the english wheel using an inner tube on the upper wheel to make the top to bottom curve without adding any crown front to rear. I did make a few passes without the inner tube to add a slight amount of front to rear crown to match the shape above the patch.

Lower edge bent in the brake as far as possible.

Using a slapper to take it from this angle to nearly flat.

Pullmax with delrin dies leftover from the fender top, with a strip of 1/16" thick metal as a spacer so the flange isn't fully flattened. This leaves enough room for the skin to slide over the inner flange but leaves minimal hammer/dolly work to make the hem snug on the flange. Also minimizes the change of stretching the flange when hammer/dollying the hemmed flange flat.

Test fit at the correct height to match the fender bottom and cab corner.

Scribing the fold lines using a tool that references the fender edge for a consistent gap.

Establishing the fold on the bead roller.

Test fit. The door needs to be adjusted back a hair to even out the gaps front and rear.

Overlapping the blacked out original skin to scribe the cut line.

After cutting, zero gap except a slight amount at the outer edges for tweaking the flushness with a thin pry tool- no rear access due to the inner flange.

theastronaut is offline   Reply With Quote