View Single Post
Old 08-30-2009, 01:51 PM   #35
Hart_Rod

Re: 68 S/C update.....

Sorry for being slow with the updates. I've spent the last week cleaning up some odds and ends:
1. tuning the motor - carb and timing (still needs some adjusting)
2. replaced the $29.99 duralast starter , with a high torque one
3. removed the B&M floor shifter since the column shifter is installed
4. Chased down some wiring gremlins....It has an adjustable rheostat to control the electric fan but it has never worked. So I pulled it apart to see what the problem was. The entire circuit was fried, . I think the problem may have been because the electric fan and the high flow holley fuel pump were all connected to the same hot wire coming off of the alternator with no fuses of fusible links in the circuit , So I got everything rewired (the fuel pump had about 5 splices in it....) and connected correctly. I wish people understood how dangerous doing stuff like this was and how easily you can burn your pride and joy down by being careless with wiring. OK, off of my soap box. So I got it running well enough to drive it to the local weekend car show. So me and the wife headed out. About a half a mile from the house it just dies and won't start! Luckily we were able to turn off into an empty neighborhood. After about 2 minutes of going through everything I had done to it, it dawns on me that the fuel pump is not running.....so look underneath and realize that I forgot to crimp the one end of the new wire I had run to the fuel pump, , easy fix and were on our way. It drove and rode quite well on the way over and was getting some curious looks when I pulled into the parking lot . I tried the bad alternator bearing story, but after about 10 minutes I had to open the hood and show em da stuff, . Everyone thought it was pretty cool. It's definitely a sleeper. I think next time I'll go over with the hubcaps on . Here's some picture of the wiring and some new goodies, .
Attached Images

Last edited by Hart_Rod; 08-30-2009 at 01:56 PM.
Hart_Rod is offline   Reply With Quote