The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-21-2014, 05:44 PM   #351
SCOTI

Re: My daily driver/beater : How I turned lemons in lemonade

Really??

Guys, guys, guys.... It's 132nd's of an inch w/one eye closed & the other squintin' through the magnifying glass.

Gotta get it right. It's all in the details!

99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 07:42 PM   #352
PBFAB.COM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx Firefighter View Post
I respect Scot for being that guy, but I just don't have the motivation to go to that level. I'm not going to let scope creep set in on this one I swear. Get it good and solid then move on to the next task is my motto on this build.

I'm actually pretty bummed this morning. I've been working and my brain is always churning when I'm out in the shop so I called Dave at Porterbuilt to discuss with him about engine location changes due to dropmember. Its widely known and publicized that the DM moves the engine up and forward. He couldn't give me any specifics but he told me that the fan shroud is a goner. Must run e fans. And he told me I'd have to cut the floor for a high hump. I knew this was the case for 72 and earlier, but several 73-87 guys I've spoken to first hand did not do any floor mods during the install. High humps for square bodies are pretty freakin rare. So that means my virgin factory floor mat is toast and I'll have to rip my entire interior apart, do the cutting and welding, then buy all new floor covering.

If anywhere, there was a halfway decent guide to the dropmember and some details about stuff like this, I'd have just sectioned my crossmember and not had to lose my fan shroud and cut my virgin floor.
Now now.... before you get too down, let me add a little clarification and give some insight that will better explain your conversation with Dave earlier today.

I have installed Dropmembers in 73-87 trucks while maintaining the factory floor... no large hump required (all SBC/TH350 combos). Depending on which transmission you are running it might or might not fit without modification OR the need of the large hump conversion. However, from a business standpoint, knowing that there are a couple transmission combos that WILL require a large hump, it is standard protocol for us to tell people when they call or email that we "recommend" a large hump trans tunnel. We would much rather hear the feedback "I have plenty of room and didn't need the large hump" rather than "you told me it would fit and it doesn't". I hope you understand the reasoning.

We have been making this recommendation for several years now. It is in our instructions (which will be posted on our website for all to see here shortly). They are and have been available by request through an email.... or as you found, even a phone call will yield the information... albeit it wasn't the information you wanted to hear.

With that said, there is a good chance that you will be just fine without cutting up and tossing out your "virgin" goods. I would proceed as the others recommend and move forward with a test fit of the cab to see if yours will yield adequate clearance.

Since you "won't call back for sure" because the information I made standard protocol for Dave to give wasn't what you wanted to hear.... I understand. In that case you can always shoot me an email tech@pbfab.com as I personally respond to them.

Nate

Phone: 480-297-2621

E-mail: sales@pbfab.com

Find us on FaceBook under Porterbuilt Fabrication

Specializing in Chassis and Suspension Components for your Classic Chevrolet Truck.

We offer components from the following manufacturers:

Porterbuilt
Accuair
Ridetech (Air Ride Technologies)
Air Lift
Wilwood
Intro
Unisteer
ECE
Gotta Show
Air Lift
Borgeson
CPP

Supporting this forum since 2003!
PBFAB.COM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 08:03 PM   #353
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

Nate, try not to be offended by my words. I'm not a good communicator. I'd have felt a lot better if he'd have said "maybe yes, maybe no depending on your specific combo". When he didn't ask what engine or trans I'm running, I just had the perception that he threw out his answer to expedite the conversation without getting into it any further. I can easily grasp a "maybe" answer since there so many different variables.

I'm sure the new website will go a long way towards clearing up some questions folks have.
Old 07-21-2014, 08:14 PM   #354
PBFAB.COM

Quote:
Nate, try not to be offended by my words. I'm not a good communicator. I'd have felt a lot better if he'd have said "maybe yes, maybe no depending on your specific combo". When he didn't ask what engine or trans I'm running, I just had the perception that he threw out his answer to expedite the conversation without getting into it any further. I can easily grasp a "maybe" answer since there so many different variables.

I'm sure the new website will go a long way towards clearing up some questions folks have.
Trust me... NO offense taken. I don't believe it a matter of Dave trying to expedite the conversation, just a matter of protocol I implemented a while back after getting a nasty phone call from a customer who took my "maybe" as a yes.

At times we all lack on the communication end.... it happens, we are human. One guy takes a "maybe" as "you told me so" another guy takes it as a "you said it would never work".

Since at times there is ambiguity when it comes to this custom stuff, we have learned that it's best to error on the side of caution when making recommendations.

With that said, we are always looking for ways to make communication more clear on all ends. Our new site will be a huge help as we are in the process of revising all our install guides where than can be accessed on the site, along with a FAQ section. It's in the works.... just taking a bit of time.

Do me a favor and follow up with me as progress continues and I will do all I can to help provide you with all the information you need. Even if it means giving a sliver of hope with the word "maybe" attached.

Nate

Phone: 480-297-2621

E-mail: sales@pbfab.com

Find us on FaceBook under Porterbuilt Fabrication

Specializing in Chassis and Suspension Components for your Classic Chevrolet Truck.

We offer components from the following manufacturers:

Porterbuilt
Accuair
Ridetech (Air Ride Technologies)
Air Lift
Wilwood
Intro
Unisteer
ECE
Gotta Show
Air Lift
Borgeson
CPP

Supporting this forum since 2003!
PBFAB.COM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 03:46 PM   #355
Zumo
Hot Rods For Life

Cheese and rice this truck is straight up ill'n.
Los Muertos Custom Bicycles
Zumo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 09:48 AM   #356
rs72z

Not sure how I missed this build, but I like it.

78 ccsb dually
4l60e
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=491551
rs72z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 11:14 PM   #357
Tx Firefighter

I've been putting in the hours lately. The rear suspension is basically complete. All I have left to do is build lower shock mounts and set pinion angle and burn the saddles in place. I'll wait to do the pinion angle and saddle deal until after I get my dropmember in place since the engine, trans relocation will come into play there. At that time I'll set the angle then remove the entire rearend for welding and clean and paint it also.

Today I built a rear crossmember for my air supply stuff. The tank mounts to the front of it and the compressors sit on shelves on the rear of it.

I did throw the cheesy Viair rubber grommet vibration mounts away and ordered some proper bolt in vibration absorbing feet from McMaster Carr.

I got my panhard bar parts from Speedway Motors. Good pricing there. I built a stud into the left side link bar and welded brackets to the right frame rail. My goal was to have the bar be close to horizontal at ride height and as long as possible. I think both goals were pretty much met within reason.
Old 07-27-2014, 04:06 AM   #358
tommyd241

That is super clean!
Old 07-27-2014, 06:29 AM   #359
darkhorse970

Very nice work, as always Kevin. You are really moving on this truck!

SOLD - 1963 C10 Short Fleet
350/700R4
4/6 drop

1967 GMC Super Custom - Short Fleet
COPO concept w/427 BBC
T-400 w/Doug Nash overdrive
4/6 Drop, Buddy Buckets, etc...
Frame Off (In Progress)
I call it "Vulgar Display of Power"

1980 Silverado
Original paint
49k Original miles
4/6 drop

Check out my build thread here: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post6209941
darkhorse970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 09:14 AM   #360
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

Looks great!
I'm pretty sure you could sell that air tank/compressor crossmember.

Here's a few pics of a slammed stepside and the mods they did to tuck a BIG wheel.
The bed was raised and the fenders were stretched.
I seen a few other builds like this.
That's why I had concerns for your stepside bed.
Obviously your total tire height will be less than this one.
Attached Images

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823
lolife99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 09:16 AM   #361
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

Another pic,...
Attached Images

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823
lolife99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 09:25 AM   #362
Tx Firefighter

Ive already bought the paint and the wheels and tires. I can promise, no one is gonna see the end product coming. It's going to be different than any other truck I've seen built out there.

I've got another month minimum waiting on the drop member so I'll start body work this week. Much work to do before February.
Old 07-27-2014, 10:12 AM   #363
flashed

Cant wait to see how this one turns out .
flashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 11:51 AM   #364
Tx Firefighter

One reflection I can make as I've worked on this project.

A lot of guys throw out very unrealistic prices as to what it costs to do an air suspension. Frankly, some are so unrealistic as to be completely full of sh1t. Its expensive and just wears you out with nickel and dime stuff. Fittings are expensive. You could spend 75 dollars just in wiring for your compressors if you do it right. 4ga wiring ain't cheap. And, the more sanitary you want the end result to be, the more expensive it gets.
Old 07-27-2014, 06:19 PM   #365
rusty76

That's always been my consensus with pricing of doing airbags and doing them right. It looks like you've got a pretty good handle on this bad boy. I like the mount for the tank and compressors. Kool.
My build thread
Crossmembers CC
rusty76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 11:18 AM   #366
rs72z

Did you post any pics of the lower bars that you made?

I have been thinking of build a 4 link for the rear of my dually.

78 ccsb dually
4l60e
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=491551
rs72z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 11:37 AM   #367
aggie91
I'm just glad to be here!

Tank/Compressor mount looks great!

What size tank did you use? Where did you get it from?

1965 Chevy Stepside(Grandpa's Old Blue) and (July 2015 Shop Build!)(2020, the Saga Continues)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=372424

The LST Challenge:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post7812257

Korbin's 1st Square: "Sunburn"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=418618

1985 GMC Sierra: "White Trash", Korbin's 2nd now...
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=632305

Henry - 1984 Chevrolet, Owen's 1st Square
aggie91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 12:28 PM   #368
SCOTI

Quote:
I've been putting in the hours lately. The rear suspension is basically complete. All I have left to do is build lower shock mounts and set pinion angle and burn the saddles in place. I'll wait to do the pinion angle and saddle deal until after I get my dropmember in place since the engine, trans relocation will come into play there. At that time I'll set the angle then remove the entire rearend for welding and clean and paint it also.

Today I built a rear crossmember for my air supply stuff. The tank mounts to the front of it and the compressors sit on shelves on the rear of it.

I did throw the cheesy Viair rubber grommet vibration mounts away and ordered some proper bolt in vibration absorbing feet from McMaster Carr.

I got my panhard bar parts from Speedway Motors. Good pricing there. I built a stud into the left side link bar and welded brackets to the right frame rail. My goal was to have the bar be close to horizontal at ride height and as long as possible. I think both goals were pretty much met within reason.
Did you decide to increase the bar length per our discussions or go w/things as is? I like the x-member for the air supply.... Simple, & looks very nice.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Old 07-28-2014, 07:15 PM   #369
bluex

Did you post the picture of the link bars in here? I was looking for it to show a friend....
bluex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 11:34 AM   #370
Stoney
Farm Truck

Nice Work.

Mike
Jersey Village, Tx
Stoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 06:33 AM   #371
Tx Firefighter

Not much updating recently. I'm working on it all day every day though.

I'm one month in since I ordered the dropmember. I have all steering rack stuff, air bags, etc here just waiting. I'm not really expecting anything in that area until nearly September though, per my conversation with Travis when I placed the order initially.

First, the rear suspension.

I tried several different ways, but I just couldn't be happy with the 2 link setup. I could set it up to where I was satisfied with the pinion angle range, but the side to side was what killed it for me.

I set it up with a 36 inch long panhard bar mounted from the bottom of the frame to the opposite side lower link. Much like a typical ECE Super Track Bar. Then I tacked my shock mounts in place and cycled the suspension. When I did that, it smartly ripped all of the shock mounts off. From dump to lift, the rearend shifted 2 inches side to side. Hell no. There's a reason that Ekstensive mounts their shocks sideways rather than up and down like they ideally should be. I had wondered why, until I saw it with my own two eyes, then it became clear. Facepalm moment.

So I took all of that off and thinned my spring pack down to two leafs and built a lowering block and set up an AOL system. Much better. At least the suspension stays lined up during cycle from bottom to top. After testing to see if I'd be happy with AOL, I went ahead and ordered two sleeve Firestone bags and am mounting them from the side of the step notch down to the old leaf spring pad on top of the axle.

So, for all keeping score out there and preparing with the "I told you so's".....yes, I went down a dead end street with that whole 2 link idea. Lesson learned. I paid for it financially and labor wise.

I got proper mounts for the compressors instead of that cheesy grommet crap Viair supplies with them stock.

Built a bracket for my electrical stuff back there.

And I have all paint supplies here on hand. I had to place an order this weekend for some Rage filler, Evercoat Glazing Putty, Epoxy primer, and 2k primer.

So, from here forth, if you don't see me posting much, it's because I'm doing paint and body work. Color pictures will be forthcoming when I'm ready to debut the truck in color.
Old 08-03-2014, 07:10 PM   #372
jhama78

Did you entertain the idea of a watts link to locate the rear axle before ya scrapped the two link? Looking forward to seeing progress on this thing.

'06 3500 LWB CC 4wd, 8.1 Allison
jhama78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 11:35 PM   #373
Hankster

Looks like its coming together. Can't wait to see it laid out.

'86 Chevrolet C10 Custom Deluxe - Gen V 454 - 4l80e - welded 12 bolt
(Build thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=611611 ) SOLD
Hankster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 11:59 PM   #374
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhama78 View Post
Did you entertain the idea of a watts link to locate the rear axle before ya scrapped the two link? Looking forward to seeing progress on this thing.
While I get your logic..... it's like spending a dime to save a nickel.

TX....
Personally..... Even w/a 4-bar, you would have needed the shocks mounted so they could pivot side to side. Not that big of a deal IMO & the shocks still function @ less than the OE engineered angles (I set them up to be @ less than the OE angle they just pivot differently). Mine have about >3/8" of side shift total over approx ~4" of height change from ride height to fully compressed. I just set them so that @ full drop, they don't interfere w/anything or bind (worst case scenario).

Fab on . . .....
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 08-04-2014, 01:22 PM   #375
rusty76

You know it's all a learning curve. I can't wait to see what you came up with. Either way still digging the build. Keep on keeping!
My build thread
Crossmembers CC
rusty76 is offline   Reply With Quote