The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-24-2020, 11:11 AM   #1
MikeB

Dragging rear brakes on one side

After 50 miles or so of driving and stopping, especially from higher speeds, the left rear shoes on my 82 C10 start dragging. When I let off the gas to slow down, the brakes seem to lightly pulse – “grab, release, grab, release” with each revolution. Acts like a high spot on the shoes and a high spot on the drum are lining up once per revolution. I know it’s the left rear because the wheel center on that side is 40-50 degrees hotter than the right side.

However, when I get the truck up on jack stands the wheel spins freely. And if I drive the truck a few hours later, there is only a slight hint of the problem. Drums shoes, and wheel cylinders have less than 2K mile miles on them. Shoes fit the drum curvature perfectly. Rear hose is new, and the right rear is fine. I don’t know if axle bearings have ever been changed, but there is no seal leak. Pulling the drum shows nothing strange. If I back off the adjustment, the problem goes away for a while, but self-adjustment brings the shoes closer to the drum and the problem returns. I’m wondering if the brake drum is going out of round when hot. I'm very close to replacing drum, shoes, wheel cylinder and axle bearing on that side.

Any suggestions?
1981 C10 Silverado LWB -- sold, but wish I still had it!
1969 C10 (not the current one) that I bought in the early 1980s. Paid $1200; sold for $1500 a few years later. Just a hint at the appreciation that was coming.
Retired as a factory automation products salesman.
Worked part-time over the years for an engine builder and a classic car repair shop.
Member here for 23 years! This is the very first car/truck Internet forum I joined. I still used a dial-up modem back then!
MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 03:05 PM   #2
SCOTI

Re: Dragging rear brakes on one side

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB View Post
After 50 miles or so of driving and stopping, especially from higher speeds, the left rear shoes on my 82 C10 start dragging. When I let off the gas to slow down, the brakes seem to lightly pulse – “grab, release, grab, release” with each revolution. Acts like a high spot on the shoes and a high spot on the drum are lining up once per revolution. I know it’s the left rear because the wheel center on that side is 40-50 degrees hotter than the right side.

However, when I get the truck up on jack stands the wheel spins freely. And if I drive the truck a few hours later, there is only a slight hint of the problem. Drums shoes, and wheel cylinders have less than 2K mile miles on them. Shoes fit the drum curvature perfectly. Rear hose is new, and the right rear is fine. I don’t know if axle bearings have ever been changed, but there is no seal leak. Pulling the drum shows nothing strange. If I back off the adjustment, the problem goes away for a while, but self-adjustment brings the shoes closer to the drum and the problem returns. I’m wondering if the brake drum is going out of round when hot. I'm very close to replacing drum, shoes, wheel cylinder and axle bearing on that side.

Any suggestions?
I would first swap the drums side to side. See if the problem/heat follows the drum.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 06:43 PM   #3
MikeB

Thanks. You're the fourth person to recommend that, so it's definitely worth trying!

After taking just a short drive today, I actually measured the temp at 3 places on the edges of the brake drums just outside of the backing plates. The suspect side was 80-120 degrees hotter.
1969 C10 (not the current one) that I bought in the early 1980s. Paid $1200; sold for $1500 a few years later. Just a hint at the appreciation that was coming.
Worked part-time over the years for an engine builder and a classic car repair shop.
Member here for 23 years! This is the very first car/truck Internet forum I joined. I still used a dial-up modem back then!
Old 04-24-2020, 11:29 PM   #4
SCOTI

Quote:
Thanks. You're the fourth person to recommend that, so it's definitely worth trying!

After taking just a short drive today, I actually measured the temp at 3 places on the edges of the brake drums just outside of the backing plates. The suspect side was 80-120 degrees hotter.
Yikes.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Old 04-25-2020, 07:46 AM   #5
cadillac_al

Did one of the pins break off?
77 Chevy K10
cadillac_al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 03:39 PM   #6
MikeB

Swapped the drums from left to right and the problem followed the drum. Only thing I can think of is the drum gets out of round due to the heat generated by driving and braking. When at ambient temperature, it slides off and on the shoes easily, just like the other one. No sign of dragging on the drum or shoes.

Interesting that the "bad" drum had a lot more surface rust than the other one, even though both were the same store brand installed at the same time. Must have been from a different batch or a different Chinese communist supplier.

Just ordered a Raybestos drum from Rock Auto instead of the store brand drums at my local auto parts stores. I've always had good luck with Raybestos and Wagner, no matter where they are made.
Old 04-25-2020, 05:37 PM   #7
SCOTI

Quote:
Swapped the drums from left to right and the problem followed the drum. Only thing I can think of is the drum gets out of round due to the heat generated by driving and braking. When at ambient temperature, it slides off and on the shoes easily, just like the other one. No sign of dragging on the drum or shoes.

Interesting that the "bad" drum had a lot more surface rust than the other one, even though both were the same store brand installed at the same time. Must have been from a different batch or a different Chinese communist supplier.

Just ordered a Raybestos drum from Rock Auto instead of the store brand drums at my local auto parts stores. I've always had good luck with Raybestos and Wagner, no matter where they are made.
Very odd indeed. I try to use only Wagner or Raybestos when/if possible. Sometimes it's just not financially...
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 05-18-2021, 10:36 AM   #8
MikeB

I was going through my old posts, and wanted to close out this one. I put around 500-600 miles on the truck after installing the new drum, with no more problems. So that old drum had some kind of defect. Must have been a poor casting causing it to deform when hot.

Ended up selling the truck late last year, knowing there wouldn't be any surprises for the new owner.

Last edited by MikeB; 05-27-2021 at 06:30 PM.
Old 05-18-2021, 02:01 PM   #9
SCOTI

Thanks for the follow-up. It definitely can help others w/similar issues & from someone who tries to help others here when I can, it's appreciated to hear/learn of a resolution.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 05-18-2021, 06:23 PM   #10
LT7A

This is good info. I had a very similar problem on my first squarebody, years ago. Went through much of the same troubleshooting process you did including having the drum turned. Never occurred to me that it might be the drum itself. Makes perfect sense. I'm glad there are people here that have ideas that are better than mine.

Last edited by LT7A; 05-18-2021 at 08:42 PM.
LT7A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 08:09 AM   #11
Hart_Rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
Thanks for the follow-up. It definitely can help others w/similar issues & from someone who tries to help others here when I can, it's appreciated to hear/learn of a resolution.
+1
Hart_Rod is offline   Reply With Quote