The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-15-2022, 01:03 PM   #51
Hart_Rod

Re: Sandy~~1984 C10 L86/4L80 build

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1957 Chief View Post
Well good news on the tuning front...my friends at GPI got it whipped. Went down there yesterday and talked to Aaron Salisbury about the next steps for getting the truck lined out. Aaron is a great friend of mine and the head of GPI and a really smart fella. That morning I woke up not knowing what the solution would be, whether it was changing the wiring harness with a factory ecu, or changing the camshaft to one with a stock fuel lobe. I just didn't know and that sucked...were 60 days out from LS fest and that's our target. Aaron and I discussed what was already done to the truck and what it was doing, wouldn't idle worth a flip, and would die after letting off the gas and couldn't do a foot brake. Aaron pulled up all the different specs on the terminator, and went to work. Him and Ryan spent the better part of an afternoon getting the truck happy. He sent me a video about 430 that afternoon with the truck performing like it should. Man what a relief...

I wish I was smart enough to post up the video, but I'm not ha ha. Maybe someone can help me.

So next week ill go get the truck, bring it home to service the AC and take it back to them so they can drive it and do some more tuning on it.

Man Im so thankful for Aaron, Ryan and Ben for figuring this out. And thankful for my good buddy Chris for trusting me and letting me build this truck. He lives in GA and hasn't seen it in person since the week before Christmas. When we started this I told him I would build this truck for free, that's the kind of friend he is.

But I did tell him when he sees it again he will need to buy new rear tires...

Bubba
Glad they got it figured out. What was the issue if you don't mind sharing?
Hart_Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2022, 01:37 PM   #52
1957 Chief
Proud Vet that loves the USA

Man was a myriad of things. Aaron mentioned start enrichment, IAC settings, injector pulse length and some other stuff. Said they did a data log of a factory DI engine and applied some of the settings to the Terminator. And through trial and error the engine started to smooth out and get happy. I did drive it Wednesday and it is a nasty little thing. Can boil tires on command, but it still has some things to address. AC blew 48 degrees going down the interstate tho :-)

Bubba
1957 Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2022, 09:03 AM   #53
Hart_Rod

Quote:
Man was a myriad of things. Aaron mentioned start enrichment, IAC settings, injector pulse length and some other stuff. Said they did a data log of a factory DI engine and applied some of the settings to the Terminator. And through trial and error the engine started to smooth out and get happy. I did drive it Wednesday and it is a nasty little thing. Can boil tires on command, but it still has some things to address. AC blew 48 degrees going down the interstate tho :-)

Bubba
I bet it's a blast to drive! I'm doing an L86/8L90 swap into a 93 OBS truck. Do you think the radiator and fan setup you used will work in it? Do you have the part numbers? Thanks!

Rob
Old 07-20-2022, 06:39 PM   #54
1957 Chief

Well I dunno how it will fit in an OBS, but I do know you can make a 2007 and ups rad fit in a square pretty easy.

https://www.amazon.com/Radiator-Chev.../dp/B07G4JXXZP

https://www.amazon.com/Seasons-76016...Silverado+1500

These are what I use Rob.

Where did you get your driveline from?

Bubba
Old 07-21-2022, 10:55 AM   #55
Hart_Rod

Quote:
Well I dunno how it will fit in an OBS, but I do know you can make a 2007 and ups rad fit in a square pretty easy.

https://www.amazon.com/Radiator-Chev.../dp/B07G4JXXZP

https://www.amazon.com/Seasons-76016...Silverado+1500

These are what I use Rob.

Where did you get your driveline from?

Bubba
Thanks! Do you think it will fit in a 88-98 truck?

I bought 2 setups from a guy in Dallas. Take care,

Rob
Old 08-01-2022, 08:40 PM   #56
1957 Chief

A few updates on the truck.

I got it last week, drove it home, zero issues. We have been driving it around as much as we can so it can "self learn." I still haven't flat footed it yet, but it pulls like a mule. Stall converter and cam choice are spot on, couldn't be happier with the performance of the truck.

I have 5 things left to do on it before we turn it loose:
1. Wire up the AC kick input so the idle increases when the AC is on
2. Tighten up the steering column (feels like the two 15mm nuts under the dash are loose)
3. Pull the centering plunger out of the brake proportioning valve (forgot to take it out after bleeding the brakes)
4. Install the BIM module so the Terminator will talk to the gauges
5. Change the oil/filter and then inspect the filter to make sure all is well.

We will have it at LS Fest at Bowling Green in a couple weeks. Then it will go home to its new owner, if not sooner.

Bubba
Old 08-02-2022, 08:40 AM   #57
SCOTI

Quote:
A few updates on the truck.

I got it last week, drove it home, zero issues. We have been driving it around as much as we can so it can "self learn." I still haven't flat footed it yet, but it pulls like a mule. Stall converter and cam choice are spot on, couldn't be happier with the performance of the truck.

I have 5 things left to do on it before we turn it loose:
1. Wire up the AC kick input so the idle increases when the AC is on
2. Tighten up the steering column (feels like the two 15mm nuts under the dash are loose)
3. Pull the centering plunger out of the brake proportioning valve (forgot to take it out after bleeding the brakes)
4. Install the BIM module so the Terminator will talk to the gauges
5. Change the oil/filter and then inspect the filter to make sure all is well.

We will have it at LS Fest at Bowling Green in a couple weeks. Then it will go home to its new owner, if not sooner.

Bubba
Care to share the cam/stall & other changes made to the 6.2? It's nice to read through the things required to get these newer LS/LT motor swaps in & functional.

Much appreciated sharing the install logic & tasks to get things accomplished so far. Having stuff like this on the site as well as the members shared experiences can really help others out. Kudo's to you sir!
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 10:53 PM   #58
1957 Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
Care to share the cam/stall & other changes made to the 6.2? It's nice to read through the things required to get these newer LS/LT motor swaps in & functional.

Much appreciated sharing the install logic & tasks to get things accomplished so far. Having stuff like this on the site as well as the members shared experiences can really help others out. Kudo's to you sir!
Thanks for your kind words brother, I sure know this site has helped me a lot.

THe camshaft is a GPI Stage 3 low lift cam, 223/235 duration .540/.540 valve lift and 114+4 lobe separation. We have a built 4L80E with a 3200 stall and the combo flat out works.

Another reason we went with this cam, and a thicker head gasket, is that a blower is planned on down the line, and we didn't want to tie our hands with compression ratio or camshaft.

The motor is a standard bore 6.2 with Compstar rods and Mahle pistons, was a good foundation for making power now, and later, with a power adder on down the line.

Ive done many LS swaps on these trucks, but this is my first start to finish LT build. Its def not for the faint of heart, because just about everything is different between the two engine platforms. And the aftermarket support just isn't there yet, like it is with the LS platform.

And yet I'm looking to put an L86/10spd into an 86 now....

If anyone has questions, hit me up.

Bubba
Old 08-03-2022, 08:36 AM   #59
Hart_Rod

Quote:

THe camshaft is a GPI Stage 3 low lift cam, 223/235 duration .540/.540 valve lift and 114+4 lobe separation. We have a built 4L80E with a 3200 stall and the combo flat out works.

Another reason we went with this cam, and a thicker head gasket, is that a blower is planned on down the line, and we didn't want to tie our hands with compression ratio or camshaft.

The motor is a standard bore 6.2 with Compstar rods and Mahle pistons, was a good foundation for making power now, and later, with a power adder on down the line.

Ive done many LS swaps on these trucks, but this is my first start to finish LT build. Its def not for the faint of heart, because just about everything is different between the two engine platforms. And the aftermarket support just isn't there yet, like it is with the LS platform.

Bubba
I'm traveling down this road right now (L86/8spd in a 93/84), and you're absolutely correct about the LT's being majorly different! Nothing that I have found crosses over.... The aftermarket support is coming, but not anywhere close to where the LS stuff is.

So far we have pulled the motor out of the 93 and are getting ready to place the new setup in with the Dirty Dingo adjustable motor/transmission mounts. I will report back after we get everything placed.
Attached Images

Old 08-03-2022, 08:43 AM   #60
SCOTI

Quote:

Bubba
TY for the info.

I know I'm among the few, but I just don't care for the added complexity the 6/8/10spd autos bring to the table. I'll take a 4l80e any day of the week & live just fine.

Same on the can choice.... Jeez some of the aftermarket stuff seems like it kills the efficiency benefit of the late model combo all in the name of full time big power. I'd prefer a mild bump in power w/minimal or no loss in efficiency.

Was the piston/rod upgrade needed for targeted compression needs or ??
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Old 08-03-2022, 09:07 AM   #61
1957 Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hart_Rod View Post
I'm traveling down this road right now (L86/8spd in a 93/84), and you're absolutely correct about the LT's being majorly different! Nothing that I have found crosses over.... The aftermarket support is coming, but not anywhere close to where the LS stuff is.

So far we have pulled the motor out of the 93 and are getting ready to place the new setup in with the Dirty Dingo adjustable motor/transmission mounts. I will report back after we get everything placed.
Rob, PM me your phone number when you can. Id like to share some things with you.

Quote:
TY for the info.

I know I'm among the few, but I just don't care for the added complexity the 6/8/10spd autos bring to the table. I'll take a 4l80e any day of the week & live just fine.

Same on the can choice.... Jeez some of the aftermarket stuff seems like it kills the efficiency benefit of the late model combo all in the name of full time big power. I'd prefer a mild bump in power w/minimal or no loss in efficiency.

Was the piston/rod upgrade needed for targeted compression needs or ??
I can see your point on the diff offerings of the transmissions. However the 6L transmissions have come a long way in regards to performance, and the 8-10's are close behind.

What I did learn from this whole experience, is the vacuum signal with the LT motors is WAY different than LS motors. With the direct injection the fuel is squirted into the cylinder versus in the intake runner. Normal injectors increase the Venturi effect in the runners versus the DI motors. Hence the reason GM put the vacuum pumps on the truck motors.

As far as the piston/rod combo, we found a short block that already was built with them in it. Kinda a "peace of mind" when it comes to later performance increases. The factory combo would have done just fine with the performance we have now, however knowing what we could do/might do down the line, it was a calculated decision.

Bubba
Old 08-03-2022, 10:23 AM   #62
SCOTI

Quote:
Rob, PM me your phone number when you can. Id like to share some things with you.

I can see your point on the diff offerings of the transmissions. However the 6L transmissions have come a long way in regards to performance, and the 8-10's are close behind.

What I did learn from this whole experience, is the vacuum signal with the LT motors is WAY different than LS motors. With the direct injection the fuel is squirted into the cylinder versus in the intake runner. Normal injectors increase the Venturi effect in the runners versus the DI motors. Hence the reason GM put the vacuum pumps on the truck motors.

As far as the piston/rod combo, we found a short block that already was built with them in it. Kinda a "peace of mind" when it comes to later performance increases. The factory combo would have done just fine with the performance we have now, however knowing what we could do/might do down the line, it was a calculated decision.

Bubba
TY for the insight/answers.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 08-18-2022, 09:00 PM   #63
1957 Chief

Some more updates o Sandy before we go to LS Fest East in a few weeks

Installed some sweet new emblems that compliment the truck. Truck's name is Sandy and these are some nice additions to the truck .

And just got word today that my buddy that owns the truck, bought a coilover rear suspension, so we will need to install that before we go in less than three weeks....

Bubba
Attached Images

Old 09-04-2022, 10:54 AM   #64
1957 Chief

Been driving the truck pretty regularly and its fun as heck to drive. Very docile until you mash the sound pedal. Had a few issues to line out, most noticeably a vibe around 61-62, and the tires were rubbing the inside of the outer fender.

Well during all that, we decided to put a RideTech 4 link on the truck. With that, called up Kim at Matt's Classic Bowties and away we went. Now for pics....
Attached Images

Old 09-04-2022, 11:00 AM   #65
1957 Chief

Talking Re: Sandy~~1984 C10 L86/4L80 build

Pulled the wheel spacers off and took the grinder to the calipers so that they would clear. I must have had those wheels on and off 50 times, each. But finally got em to clear. That gained us 1/4 inch on each side. I also took a cutoff wheel and a hammer/dolly to the inside of the fenders to bend the lip in. Now we got plenty of room.

Also had to raise the transmission up a lil bit to get the pinion angle where it needed to be. Got that lined out and the truck is smooth as heck...

Might also have to adjust the rear coil overs to get the back of the truck up a lil higher. But she is done....
Attached Images

Old 09-04-2022, 11:02 AM   #66
1957 Chief

And so now its time to get both of these to LS fest at BG, KY, this week.

I started this truck almost 1 year ago with the goal of getting to LS fest with it, and we can see the finish line!

Bubba
Attached Images

Old 09-04-2022, 01:08 PM   #67
SCOTI

Kudos on the success of this journey!
Have fun @ LS Fest/BG.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 10-20-2022, 04:06 PM   #68
Hart_Rod

Any updates?
Old 10-23-2022, 08:20 PM   #69
1957 Chief

Quote:
Any updates?
Well the truck is dead in the water. Lasted 168 miles. We have changed the low and high press pump as well as the regulator. Still won't run worth a flip. Sent all the datalogs to Holley and we are awaiting further instruction. Got a new GDI controller and awaiting more info from them.

Frustrating is an understatement. Rob, you have my number, text me on the side and I can let you know the details.

Bubba
Old 10-23-2022, 10:17 PM   #70
SCOTI

Quote:
Well the truck is dead in the water. Lasted 168 miles. We have changed the low and high press pump as well as the regulator. Still won't run worth a flip. Sent all the datalogs to Holley and we are awaiting further instruction. Got a new GDI controller and awaiting more info from them.

Frustrating is an understatement. Rob, you have my number, text me on the side and I can let you know the details.

Bubba
Bummer.... I can only imagine the frustration.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 10-24-2022, 09:33 AM   #71
1957 Chief

Quote:
Bummer.... I can only imagine the frustration.
Absolutely. Hope to be able to divulge the solution(s) here pretty soon. But I can def tell you that I have learned a TON more about direct injection motors and the theory of operation.

Bubba
Old 11-15-2022, 02:58 PM   #72
Hart_Rod

Quote:
Absolutely. Hope to be able to divulge the solution(s) here pretty soon. But I can def tell you that I have learned a TON more about direct injection motors and the theory of operation.

Bubba
Making any progress? Been wide open here....
Old 11-16-2022, 03:06 PM   #73
1957 Chief

Quote:
Making any progress? Been wide open here....
Same as last month Rob. Still waiting on Holley to provide the solution. Hope to get it soon, but keep hearing, "Any day."
(insert the rolling eye emoji here)

Send me some pics of your rig.

Bubba
Old 11-17-2022, 11:11 AM   #74
rodstored-72
chevy truck fan

sorry to hear the issue(s)... I was looking foward to more out and about photos... have you tried looking into a GM work around? or is it for sure a aftermarket issue?
rodstored-72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 04:47 PM   #75
1957 Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodstored-72 View Post
sorry to hear the issue(s)... I was looking foward to more out and about photos... have you tried looking into a GM work around? or is it for sure a aftermarket issue?
Totally agree. It was fun for 168 miles. and we left a lot of rubber on the road.
We are entertaining options now for sure, but it is def the Holley Terminator system.

One option is a cam swap with a smaller fuel pump lobe, but then again we dont know if the Terminator will perform, like its supposed to.
Second is pulling the Terminator out and installing a stand alone engine and another stand alone trans harness.

Either was whatever we decide will be a pain in the a$$ to do. Jus waiting on some software now....

Bubba