The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-14-2022, 09:37 AM   #1
rbruno68

CPP ball joints/tie rod ends

I am looking at suspension/brake kits to upgrade my 63 to disc brakes in the front as well as rebuild the suspension. I like the CPP kit because it seems to have everything I need. The one kit comes with ball joints and tie rod ends made by PolyPlus. I have always used Moog suspension components on past projects and always liked them. Has anyone used the CPP parts and how do they compare to Moog. Any complaints or issues?
Thanks,
Rob
rbruno68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 12:48 PM   #2
SCOTI

Re: CPP ball joints/tie rod ends

I can't answer your question specifically because I don't believe in the 'kit' concept.

I would place my bet that the Moog pieces are of higher quality vs what comes w/the kit. They likely get the 'kit' stuff (most likely some chain-store outfits cheap/house brand) @ a very good discount which helps them lower the overall price-tag somewhat.

That's not to say what's included in the 'kit' is garbage but until I know the exact brand it's an unknown. I wouldn't use tires of an unknown origin either....
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 12:52 PM   #3
rbruno68

I think what you are saying about the "kits" makes sense. I tried to look up PolyPlus as a manufacture and could only find their parts in "kits" and not for buying individual pieces. Moog for instance you can go to their website and get all the part numbers and see the part. Couldn't do that with PolyPlus. That is why I was looking to see if anyone else had used them to see what they think.
Old 09-14-2022, 09:49 PM   #4
theastronaut

Moog quality has gone downhill in the last few years. We used a set of Problem Solver ball joints on my sister's TBSS when we rebuilt the control arms and had new tires mounted, plus an alignment was done. They were loose enough to throw off the alignment and create enough of a wear pattern to kill the front tires within 30k miles. Check recent reviews, they're not what they used to be.

I've used Mevotech Supreme on a few vehicles since then and those parts seem to be holding up well.
theastronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 01:37 AM   #5
Chevy Fleetside

I don't like kits either. I usually just go on Rockauto and order parts. I know what I need usually. On my truck I used 75 year model spindles. I just had an AIM spindle snap and i put new MOOG ball joints in and I had to heat shrink both lower control arms to get them tightened up enough so they didn't move around in the hole. I have used Mevotech and they seem pretty good. They are made here in the USA in Colorado I think.

65 Short Fleetside BBC
65 Long Fleetside 283 3 on the tree for now.
my build thread http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=259536
Chevy Fleetside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 09:46 AM   #6
rbruno68

That is too bad that it sounds like MOOG is not what it used to be. It has been a long time since I have used them, but again, they were considered top of the line when I had been doing this sort of thing in the past. I will check out Mevotech and see what they are about.
Old 09-15-2022, 11:45 AM   #7
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy Fleetside View Post
I don't like kits either. I usually just go on Rockauto and order parts. I know what I need usually. On my truck I used 75 year model spindles. I just had an AIM spindle snap and i put new MOOG ball joints in and I had to heat shrink both lower control arms to get them tightened up enough so they didn't move around in the hole. I have used Mevotech and they seem pretty good. They are made here in the USA in Colorado I think.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbruno68 View Post
That is too bad that it sounds like MOOG is not what it used to be. It has been a long time since I have used them, but again, they were considered top of the line when I had been doing this sort of thing in the past. I will check out Mevotech and see what they are about.
I've heard the same about the Moog line & I know from my research that they definitely have 2 different 'lines' of product. The 'Problem Solver' is supposed to be top-tier quality vs. thei R/K series of parts.

In the end, it seems nothing lasts anymore so even if the Moog isn't what it used to be, if you get the parts from a source that warranty's select items you're still likely to be better off vs. a kit purchased online (unless it's they're both from the same manufacturer).
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 05:40 PM   #8
Blk63vette

Hello
MOOG parts are made in China. I looked for NOS MOOG parts that was on Ebay They are still out there but getting harder to find.
I bought brand new Cloyes heavy duty timing chain. The box say made in USA. I do believe the box was made in USA. I think the gears are made in USA the chain made in China 😟.
I trying to build my 327 with all USA made parts hard to do. A lot Cam and lifters are now made in China and they suck big time and are junk. The names of trusted parts aren’t quite what they use to be for sure.
Blk63vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 01:36 PM   #9
curvedglass

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbruno68 View Post
I am looking at suspension/brake kits to upgrade my 63 to disc brakes in the front as well as rebuild the suspension. I like the CPP kit because it seems to have everything I need. The one kit comes with ball joints and tie rod ends made by PolyPlus. I have always used Moog suspension components on past projects and always liked them. Has anyone used the CPP parts and how do they compare to Moog. Any complaints or issues?
Thanks,
Rob
Been running the CPP complete kit since 2014. Rebuilt everything when I went to power brakes and front disc. 40k miles later and I have no complaints. I added front and rear sway bars too. All from CPP. I know others have had issues with some of their stuff but no issues for me. Mine must have been sourced with parts made on a Wednesday around 10am!!! Just my 2 cents.
Old 09-27-2022, 09:04 AM   #10
rbruno68

It seems like so much of it these days is hit or miss. I research and read many post on this forum, other forums, and different write ups on different brands. It seems as though some people have had good luck with MOOG and others bad. Some good with other brands and some not. Since my experience has been with MOOG, I order MOOG parts. I specifically ask for the problem solver line. I also went to my local AutoZone because I said to the guy that helped me I wanted to look in each box before I bought them because I had heard stories of MOOG mix and matching boxes. He said he understood and had heard the same thing. All my parts came in yesterday and they look ok. Problem solver on the parts. The boxes were pretty beat up. But, how many people are ordering 65 Chevy C10 parts these days. Looks like they had been on the self for a while or moved around. So, time will tell. It will be a while before I start working on the truck. Just collecting parts now. But, I am hoping all will be fine.

Thanks for the feedback and comments.
Rob