The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-12-2016, 10:15 PM   #426
Valarius_Starchaser

Re: Project Orange Crush (57 3100)

Here is how it sits as of now got all the trans cooler lines run radiator is hard mounted and got the fan away from the radiator finished the ignition system

Remaining list
-shorten and mount negative battery cable to the back of the bell housing
-find a good location for my engine to frame ground strap
-fill coolant
-cobble an exhaust system together
-steal battery from nova
-plug in "liberated battery" and hope to see no fires
-prime oil pump
-crank to find TDC
-prime fuel pump
-pray that break in goes smooth (if not ignore next three steps)
-smile endlessly
-dance with joy
-sleep well (or not at all due to happiness)
Attached Images

Old 07-13-2016, 12:37 AM   #427
lower50's

Progress, sweet progress. On the last point you may sleep well but you will have a smile.
1967 Jeep CJ5 1.9L TDI 33X13.5X15 Mud Grapplers.
1952 GMC 9700 p/u 7.3L diesel on air, dually
lower50's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 07:45 PM   #428
Advanced Design

Hope you are dancing with joy soon. Maybe your neighbors will like open headers?
Advanced Design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 04:53 PM   #429
Valarius_Starchaser

Update time!

Last night I got a late start around 8:30 so not a lot

I got coolant in (I needed more to even fill the radiator up)
Plugged in the battery NO FIRES YAY
Turned the ignition nothing happened....

By this point it was dark so we did a few tests but nothing major I came to the conclusion the problem was likely the NSS being clocked wrong and called it quits

Then lunch today rolls around and rather then eating I start to diagnose and I wasn't getting any power at the NSS voltage in whatsoever traced the wire back and I forgot to put my Solenoid fuse in popped that baby in and she cranks good the bendix is aligned well and doesn't grind

Tonight we will
-Prime the pump
-fill the coolant
-find TDC
-check trans fluid level
-drop the distibutor
-run spark plugs
-mount the gas pedal
-cobble exhaust together

I'm thinking break in will be saved for Saturday just because it takes so long and I imagine it will be very loud
Old 07-14-2016, 05:03 PM   #430
Valarius_Starchaser

Heres a few of the radiator brckets I made from some brackets I had laying around do we think they are thick enough

Supper temporary as I don't even know if this is a long term radiator or not but it will work for break in
Attached Images

Old 07-14-2016, 05:03 PM   #431
II_Slow

II_Slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 02:08 PM   #432
Valarius_Starchaser

Having a hard time finding a piston stop locally didn't think I would have this much trouble I suppose I will just have to make one...
Old 07-15-2016, 11:06 PM   #433
Valarius_Starchaser

Found a piston stop from a tech at work to use for the weekend so that problem is solved for now!

Whats done now is:
-Found TDC set my initial to 7 degrees
-Dropped my distributor in
-ran wires
-added two more gallons of coolant (STILL NOT ENOUGH)
-Checked trans level (still showing overfilled (odd as I have only added around 12 quarts when GM says a full rebuild is 13.4 quarts does it need ran through the gears?)
-Covered the rest of my external wires
-Got reducers and collectors installed on my exhaust
-Exhaust hung and bolted up (no welds or clamps though for now)
-Plugged in my tach and cranked it over but there was no signal do I need power in as well as the tach signal? I was under the impression the power in was just for lights could be wrong though
-wondered what to do next and that I'm still not sure of

I think we are ready to start!!!!
Old 07-15-2016, 11:07 PM   #434
Valarius_Starchaser

Quote:
Originally Posted by II_Slow View Post
haha I can't see photo bucket images at work due to virus protection but man did that give me a good laugh

I just imagine my neighbor yelling that out but hey then I would know who was doing the calling
Old 07-16-2016, 06:16 PM   #435
Valarius_Starchaser

Try one
Wouldn't fire due to distributor being 180 off
Try two
Fires up but I forgot to tighten a hose clamp on a trans cooler line what a hot mess that was
Try three
Fired right up got it to 32 degrees at 3000 RPMS ANDDDD two plug wire light on fire (water ended this fire easy)
Try four
Ran some other wires we had laying around this time we are up and running for atleast a minute THEN the oil pressure sender hose BURSTS from heat near the header sending hot oil onto it and igniting a very large flame on the back driver side of the bay pulled the key got the hose and she was out but not without a battle wound I can safely say this was one of the scaryist things I've seen it was a large enough fire I thought we weren't going to be able to get it with the fires extinguisher without major damage to the truck but all in all just a little soot and we are all good not a bit of paint lost
Try Five
We ran without a oil pressure gauge this time as I couldn't find a new spot the worked well and the pressure never went bellow 45psi at 3k so I was confident. Continuing we have a steady 2 drips a second oil leak on the front of the pan and were getting very hot like 210+ 2 minutes in the timing mark is hard enough to read we don't actually know what it is but I read what was 36 at 3k which is a little advanced for my comfort zone with the small radiator so we will take a paint pen to brighten some key marks up

All in all disappointed but not crushed and boy the sound of that big block bumping over makes me want to get it done even faster then before

also I want to appologize how picture light I have been since I feel like I don't have anything worth posting in a picture as the bay doesn't look any different then before just with water everywhere now

so to make up for it heres a cool 55 I found on google also the direction I am headed with the roll bar and such notice the wheelbarrow in the firewall

full article can be seen here

Last edited by Valarius_Starchaser; 07-16-2016 at 06:22 PM.
Valarius_Starchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 08:35 PM   #436
Kim57

At least you got it started.
Sounds like a few minor glitches and all will be good.
Kim
Old 07-17-2016, 07:13 PM   #437
Valarius_Starchaser

these headers are becoming the bane of my existence looks like they took out ever wire going down to the starter too I had a heat wrap and a shield on them and still they got fried not sure where else to run them and I can't even start it up again without fixing it and theres no parts houses open I guess we will wait another week to see if I can do it right....

As for now there is nothing I can do I have been broken fellas...

Old 07-18-2016, 01:35 PM   #438
Valarius_Starchaser

Back to it today I got another positive cable some header wrap and metal zip ties I'm going to wrap the starter body and the wires as far up as seems necessary to prevent burning

Also just buying my own battery this one was comendeared from a 93 Cherokee we got for my step sister and with the parts here for that I can't keep it for testing anymore luckily I didn't kill it because last night the tender thought it was a 6v battery it was so low I imagine the positive cable grounded on the block and drained it overnight
Old 07-19-2016, 11:29 AM   #439
Valarius_Starchaser

Last night we fired her up again the oil leak on the front of the pan is slowed but not stopped so a dropped the front and filled it with sealant hopefully that finishes that, I think it has to do with the chrome timing cover the price we pay for bling sometimes

Also replaced the generator light bulb in the gauge not sure why I didn't before and the light was on when running so we have a bad alternator no surprise I suppose so I am looking around for a rebuild kit that doesn't cost as much as a new alternator if that doesn't work I will just buy a new one just don't see the sense in that...

Other then that the header wrap around the starter worked well to keep away the heat and with the paint mark at 32 degrees we were able to get the timing dialed in and nothing lit on fire some boots got warm and discolored but I'm finding that is normal kind of blows my mind that nobody can make a good set for less than $100 but I suppose that's modern hot roding at its finest

Now that the motor starts efficiently I don't need to focus so much on it I can get back to body work and the rear axle this week but the heat is supposed to be killer 95+ and 100+ by Thursday so we will see if I can stand working outside in the heat

Here's an updated bay pic with the new wires

Name:  IMG_1926.jpg
Views: 362
Size:  45.9 KB

Thanks for tuning in guys!
Old 07-19-2016, 12:08 PM   #440
Valarius_Starchaser

In other news I think I am running lean because the headers when I got it set started to glow "the main reason we shut down"

I ran the cast on the carb and found it to be a 600cfm I'm no professional here but I imagine that's light for what I'm doing here I found some formula and have seen that 750cfm is what I need any gurus out there? anyone that can direct me to someone that would know their stuff or maybe has a larger carb for a good price? wink wink
Old 07-19-2016, 09:44 PM   #441
lower50's

Congrats on the FIRE up? No not that. The start up!! Glad all ended up being ok, I bet that big block sounds great. Get the issues figured out now and when you start driving it will be smooth sailing. How long of heat protection do you need past the headers?
Old 07-21-2016, 01:19 AM   #442
Valarius_Starchaser

Quote:
Originally Posted by lower50's View Post
Congrats on the FIRE up? No not that. The start up!! Glad all ended up being ok, I bet that big block sounds great. Get the issues figured out now and when you start driving it will be smooth sailing. How long of heat protection do you need past the headers?
haha I'm surprised your the first to say that!

Yes it was quite the show of how many small details that one could miss but we got it dialed in I got a new reman alternator and am on the hunt for a good used carb been flaked on once and sold out from under once through craigslist already and just now I lost an ebay sale for a 750 AGH

For tonight and tomorrow the heat index is into the 95+ range so no real truck work getting done

Final prep for the wedding is underway with no hope for the truck at this point I would be lying if I said I wasn't disappointed in myself fellas can't help but think I could have had it done "if" I had gotten a better deal or worked a little more.... Oh well that's life at this rate it will become the 6 year hell project I never wanted it to if I even can hold onto it that long without parting it out or being forced to sell

Likely no major updates for awhile fellas don't have the time or money now thanks for being a part of the ride up to this point hopefully someday I can drive this old basketcase of a frankentruck

Until next time
- Logan
Old 07-21-2016, 05:40 PM   #443
lower50's

So sorry to hear!! Keep us posted with whatever and whenever you have some updates. Till then
Old 07-21-2016, 08:20 PM   #444
Advanced Design

Congratulations on the start Logan! Good luck with the wedding plans and check in from time to time.
Advanced Design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 09:45 PM   #445
joedoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valarius_Starchaser View Post
In other news I think I am running lean because the headers when I got it set started to glow "the main reason we shut down"

I ran the cast on the carb and found it to be a 600cfm I'm no professional here but I imagine that's light for what I'm doing here I found some formula and have seen that 750cfm is what I need any gurus out there? anyone that can direct me to someone that would know their stuff or maybe has a larger carb for a good price? wink wink

glowing exhaust is usually OVER fueling, running really rich. you get an incomplete burn in the cylinder and it all burns in the exhaust.

I would only consider a 750 if it was a vacuum secondary, which only adds the secondaries when the engine needs it, over your 600 if it is a double pumper. if its a 600 with vacuum secondaries, your mixture is way rich.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 10:20 PM   #446
Valarius_Starchaser

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedoh View Post
glowing exhaust is usually OVER fueling, running really rich. you get an incomplete burn in the cylinder and it all burns in the exhaust.

I would only consider a 750 if it was a vacuum secondary, which only adds the secondaries when the engine needs it, over your 600 if it is a double pumper. if its a 600 with vacuum secondaries, your mixture is way rich.
I have heard that problem as well joedoh but I've heard it said both directions I started it again and retarded the timing to 27 at 3000 RPM and it quite glowing thus my belief of it being lean but its not the "correct fix" I will keep watching for a deal

But at this point we are stuck I don't have a space to work on it lined up we are looking at getting into a house shortly after getting married in a nearby small town for multiple reasons I was looking today and found a 5 br 2 ba with a detached 2 and a half wide 1 and a half garage for 89k with low property tax and a nice neighborhood so may try to jump on it just to keep the truck safe because the 780+ a month 1 br apartment in the city with no garage isn't going to cut it for me

Also getting restless at my position no raise after a year like I was promised and no real incentive to stay due to needing to work 50 just to make ends meet it was nice when in school but now when I'm out of the house not to good.

Just to much going on to work on the truck regularly at this point but I will be back guys don't worry I will do a burnout in this monster one day

Thanks for all the support guys I can honestly say your like an extended family to me
Old 07-22-2016, 09:32 AM   #447
II_Slow

Logan,
There's usually plenty to do on one of these things without spending a lot of time or money. I wouldn't completely pull off of it - just get your mind right and be happy with accomplishing smaller tasks that pay off later, like detailing stuff, tidying up the wiring, replacing fuel and brake lines, etc. And be opportunistic on the things you need like the carb - just grab one when a good deal falls in your lap. Seems like the best deals always come along when you're not looking!
Sounds like you've got a full plate with the family changes, maybe moving, maybe changing jobs, etc. Working on the truck can be therapeutic if you don't set too many deadlines and expectations.
II_Slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 10:02 PM   #448
lower50's

That garage sounds good and there is a house on the property as well bonus. I agree it feels like we are all friends/family on here great ppl. You should be able to look up what carb works good on what size motor, you know in your spare time
Old 07-27-2016, 03:30 PM   #449
Valarius_Starchaser

Keeping my wheels turning in my head I am on the lookout for a 7.4 multipor fuel injection manifold with injectors throttle body etc to fix my lean carb issue it will alow me to easily get my TPS signal to my trans and be so much more reliable then the carb system so if anyone knows a guy or a junkyard with something like that then send me a PM and we can hash it out from there

went and looked at the house it didn't match up as expected so moving on tomorrow night I am inspecting a 2br 1.5ba 1000sqft with garage literally blocks from my work for less money fingers crossed on that one!

thanks for the encouragement guys I have yet to touch the truck since this last week

Here is a picture of said intake manifold
Old 07-28-2016, 08:10 AM   #450
lower50's

What vehicle did that manifold come on?