The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-02-2022, 11:22 AM   #26
GOPAPA
"Tail Gate Best Seat In House"

Re: Remember them metal license plate frames that

[quote=LockDoc;9150427]-

Nice ..and like a lot of things ,,it will mean a lot to you and the story behind it

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuccales View Post
My first tax paying job I had. Started in detail then lof's and PDI's. First car came from there.
Great to have to bring back good memories of your first job
Old 12-02-2022, 07:07 PM   #27
michael bustamante

Quote:
Originally Posted by CG View Post
I have the Keep On Truckin and Bonneville Speed Week frames. What I would really like to have is two really nice Ed Black Chevrolet frames for my Burb since that is where it came from.

Almost forgot I have Dont Follow Me Im Lost, its a little bent up though. It was on my 57 Chev when I spun out in a corner, went through a fence, and knocked down a couple of small trees. I still have the license plate from that car too, it has a Bicentennial expiration tag (sticker) on it. I might have forgotten the actual date of my first and only car totaling but Ill never forget the year =)
you have an ed black veh way out there? these are highly sought after here in Albuquerque, they even have a ed blacks collecotor store here thats open in the summer.
I have an original ed blacks lic plate on my truck now.
Old 12-02-2022, 08:47 PM   #28
GOPAPA

Stay tuned ,,,I just scored a fairly nice license plate Metal Frame on Ebay that was from the Dealer I bought my 65 Chevy Truck from new ,,after I get it I will try and post a photo of it with a Oregon 1965 License Plate and join them together
Old 12-02-2022, 09:31 PM   #29
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael bustamante View Post
you have an ed black veh way out there? these are highly sought after here in Albuquerque, they even have a ed blacks collecotor store here thats open in the summer.
No Ed Black up here. My Burb migrated from there. I have all the original paperwork, even a business card from when it was purchased, but no plates.
I can make stickers myself, but having a plate holder would be kinda neat.
Old 12-02-2022, 10:23 PM   #30
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael bustamante View Post
I bought an Ed Black's dealer tag off Ebay a while back. listed as vintage. It sure looked cool in the pictures. One of those dumb dumb Buy It Now button purchases where my finger got ahead of my brain. It shows up and it's a mass-produced piece of plastic that has never been at the dealership. Good thing I didn't pay that much for dime a dozen junk.

I used to have a Galles dealer tag, though. Been looking but can't figure out where I put that daggone thing

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 11:17 PM   #31
Ironhorse

Interesting thread about the dealership plate frames. I have one I scored off eBay several years ago. Here in Wichita Yingling Chevrolet on 300 South Topeka St was THE place to go for factory performance cars in the 50s and 60s. Sadly the building caught fire in Nov of 1968 and was totally destroyed. Four local firefighters died when the roof suddenly collapsed on them during their initial entry into the building to confront the fire. Any sort of Yingling Chevrolet memorabilia from that dealership is considered locally as the ''holy grail'' to collectors. I scored my plate frame off eBay from a eBay vendor from all places in San Diego, Cal. for $32. Displayed as a ''Not For Sale'' piece at a swap meet a few years ago and was offered upwards of $125 for it but did not sell. It has a special place for me, I used to pass that building while in high school and drooled over the cars sitting there waiting for their new owner. Camaros, Chevelles, Novas, trucks, Impalas and even some used cars from brand X, Y and even Z. They had it all !
Attached Images

Original Truck AM/FM
Wellington, Ks
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 08:51 AM   #32
special-K
Special Order

That's a nice one with a personal connection.

Back east where they didn't use those but would screw or rivet their body rash advertisement in some crappy places. Like on the driver side of the cowl cover on 67-72s! If I bought a new truck back then I would have insisted they add another on the opposite side! who would want their new vehicle out of balance like that???

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
Old 12-03-2022, 09:42 AM   #33
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

^ That reminds me of how many people were convinced that some Chrysler products had been in an accident because the pentastar was only on one front fender.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 10:39 AM   #34
GOPAPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhorse View Post
Interesting thread about the dealership plate frames. I have one I scored off eBay several years ago. Here in Wichita Yingling Chevrolet on 300 South Topeka St was THE place to go for factory performance cars in the 50s and 60s. Sadly the building caught fire in Nov of 1968 and was totally destroyed. Four local firefighters died when the roof suddenly collapsed on them during their initial entry into the building to confront the fire. Any sort of Yingling Chevrolet memorabilia from that dealership is considered locally as the ''holy grail'' to collectors. I scored my plate frame off eBay from a eBay vendor from all places in San Diego, Cal. for $32. Displayed as a ''Not For Sale'' piece at a swap meet a few years ago and was offered upwards of $125 for it but did not sell. It has a special place for me, I used to pass that building while in high school and drooled over the cars sitting there waiting for their new owner. Camaros, Chevelles, Novas, trucks, Impalas and even some used cars from brand X, Y and even Z. They had it all !
Nice Story and great find

I too have looked at Ebay and also checked often with the car club I was with from the area that I wanted a dealership frame ... like I stated ,, there has been two for a $100 for maybe 5 years now and passed on them ,hoping to find one cheaper ...Then the two of them went up to $120 dollars and so it got me to looking and NOW I have one coming that I bid on and got for $50 plus shipping .. I figure the one I got came out of the woodworks due to the high priced ones... another thing about mine coming is that the dealership was in a small town back then of maybe 2000 people ,,not a great big dealership .. again happy for you Iron Horse
Old 12-03-2022, 01:01 PM   #35
1968k20

Quote:
Originally Posted by weasel29gm View Post
My buddy's dad collected license plates, when he passed Cody got them. In the mix was 7 boxes of dealership plates and frames, i got them. After I retire this month I'm going to sort them and see what's there. Approximately 700+ should be a good little project.
Let me know if you want to sell any please
Yanmar Tractor 3 Cyl Diesel
1968k20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 11:06 PM   #36
theastronaut

I've been able to find a few from local dealers, including one from Leroy Cannon Motors in Greenville SC where my '64 VW was bought new. Also found a few NOS frames that have never been used, including one that still had the cardboard insert. I don't have a pic of it, but I found the frame from the '69 F100 that my granddad bought new when we were cleaning out his workshop. I'll reunite it with the truck when we get it back on the road again.

theastronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 08:24 AM   #37
GOPAPA

Nice collection astronaut ,,I like them ..and to have one brand new is got to be very rare..
Old 12-04-2022, 09:28 AM   #38
1968C30

I have this one on my 64 C 10. Only personal connection is my nephew gave it to me and I always liked them.
Attached Images

Old 12-04-2022, 09:48 AM   #39
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by theastronaut View Post
I've been able to find a few from local dealers, including one from Leroy Cannon Motors in Greenville SC where my '64 VW was bought new. Also found a few NOS frames that have never been used, including one that still had the cardboard insert. I don't have a pic of it, but I found the frame from the '69 F100 that my granddad bought new when we were cleaning out his workshop. I'll reunite it with the truck when we get it back on the road again.

This one is mighty fine, different, very nice.

I've been to Anderson a few times when I was playing with 6.5TD diesels 15-20 years ago. Jamie Avant has or had a diesel service business I don't recall the name of. He made performance cams and installed one in a crate marine engine (Peninsular Marine)

Tim

Old 12-04-2022, 11:09 AM   #40
GOPAPA

[QUOTE=GOPAPA;9150209]dealers put on your new car or truck when you bought it ? It had the dealers name and town to advertise their place of business.

This is the one I came across on Ebay and it is on its way to me now .. Bid $30 and got it .. not as perfect as the $100 or so ones but it makes me happy .

I was wondering if some one could tell me what this emblem on the frame stands for

Name:  IMG_4780.jpg
Views: 175
Size:  58.7 KB
Old 12-04-2022, 11:21 AM   #41
special-K
Special Order

Oldsmobile?

Tim

Old 12-04-2022, 11:48 AM   #42
GOPAPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
Oldsmobile?
.You got it Tim ""Oldsmobile ..""
1964-65
This Dealer Walt Reitman offered me a job to become a mechanic at his dealership when I was 19 years old and I turned it down as his pay scale was $1.25 @ hour .. I and another guy was offered the job and the other kid took it and stayed there until the Chevy/Olds went out of business
Old 12-04-2022, 12:20 PM   #43
old51sedan

These license plate frames and the dealers emblems, especially if their metal or even plastic are highly collectible now days. I have a 51 chevy that I first tried to buy in 1959 when I was 15 years old, bought it several years later from the grandson who inherited the house and all. He called me a few months later and asked if I wanted the original plate and dealer emblem from that car. The plate is now registered to the car and it is stamped on the original title that I have. Also a picture of my 78 Olds with original emblem on it. My 69 C/10 that I bought out of CA back in 2016 came with the original black plates on it that I still have.
Attached Images

old51sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 05:24 PM   #44
Ironhorse

With the reference to the dealer's die cast emblems that were applied to the vehicles they sold. Years ago my wife and I ordered the one and ONLY new car we have ever bought. Ordered a '74 Dodge Charger, 318 2bbl, 3 spd auto, buckets, console, A/C, am/fm. Loaded for that time period, LOL. Gave just over $4,800 for it at the time. Picked it up from the dealer it had 3.2 miles on the clock. When we walked back to the shop area to where it was, a shop mech was headed towards it with a die cast emblem in his hand. He stopped at the rear of the car with a drill motor and knelt down as if to attach the emblem. I told him to stop, the emblem wasn't going on the car, the car belonged to me. He replied ALL their cars received the emblem I told him it was no longer "their" car as I had ordered the car new as I wanted it built and had been told the car was ready to pick up and take it home. A bit of a rather heated discussion followed which involved the head salesman and the shop manager. Spirited exchanges were made but the gist of it is.....that most likely was the ONLY Dodge Charger sold that DID NOT have a dealership emblem on the rear trunk when it left the premises, LOL.
Original Truck AM/FM
Wellington, Ks
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 06:29 PM   #45
old51sedan

I totally understand where your coming from, I have both over a dozen new cars and trucks over the years and always figured that I wasn't going to give anyone free advertising, but it's kinda nice to see an old car, truck, or whatever with these dealer emblems or license frames on them, if nothing else it's something to be able to talk about a vehicles past history. I've often wondered where the new 62 Belair bubble top or the new 66 chevelle, or the original 69 pickup I bought new ended up, if these vehicles could only talk..........
old51sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 09:29 PM   #46
GOPAPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by old51sedan View Post
I totally understand where your coming from, I have both over a dozen new cars and trucks over the years and always figured that I wasn't going to give anyone free advertising, but it's kinda nice to see an old car, truck, or whatever with these dealer emblems or license frames on them, if nothing else it's something to be able to talk about a vehicles past history. I've often wondered where the new 62 Belair bubble top or the new 66 chevelle, or the original 69 pickup I bought new ended up, if these vehicles could only talk..........
I have said for awhile that I do not need to purchase any more license plates as my walls for them is full .. but,,, I check every once in awhile just to see if the dealership frame that I relate to by buying a new truck in 1965 that I took them off when I got home is maybe available in my price range ,, it finally happened like I showed above .

.it is very rare and last I new the whole car and truck club I was with back in Oregon where this frame came from is not be found, that is just how rare this one is.. I have a smile on my face as I write this down .

. It would be nice to know where all these great cars and trucks you had is ,, i agree with ya..
Old 12-04-2022, 11:58 PM   #47
special-K
Special Order

I ordered a '92 GMC and had a cool salesman. He knew how special that truck was to me and asked, "You don't want our emblem on there do you?" He liked it, too. He told me, "I'd go straight to the parts dept. and order up a pair of those 6.5 turbo stickers", which I did.

I have a couple chrome dealer emblems I bought. One is Hicks Brothers. I bought two and gave one to my brother. The other one is Dick Handy. I also have a Key Chevrolet from Frederick, MD off a truck I had

Tim

Old 12-05-2022, 03:55 PM   #48
GOPAPA

[QUOTE=GOPAPA;9150209]dealers put on your new car or truck when you bought it ? It had the dealers name and town to advertise their place of business.
I had a couple on my new 65 Chevy Truck I bought new and did not keep them .

This is one of the only 3 photos of the 65 Chevy Truck I bought from this Dealer that I just got the License Plate Frame ,,,

Name:  1 (3).jpg
Views: 144
Size:  25.3 KB
Old 12-05-2022, 10:19 PM   #49
special-K
Special Order

Nice. Wouldn't you love to have that now. Too bad we didn't take pictures of our vehicles like today

Tim

Old 12-08-2022, 10:21 AM   #50
GOPAPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
Nice. Wouldn't you love to have that now. Too bad we didn't take pictures of our vehicles like today
I used to know exactly what that truck cost me new but since have forgot .. I know I traded in a 63 409 on it so most likely lost on the deal,, I am guessing with all the options that year with it ,, maybe $2700 and I had payments..I got a lot of flack for buying it from the sawmill workers I worked with by the them asking why didnt I buy a truck instead of a pretty car truck that I couldnt haul much .. Like many others , including you too Tim,,couldnt keep it and have it now with a worth of like $60K or so.. one owner and that big back window cab ,,rare truck ..