The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-26-2005, 05:28 AM   #1
Brainchild
Still drivin' a Rat Rod

Value?

Are these trucks worth more as a resto,or as a streetrod?

I know what I want to do with my truck finally,but I can't decide on how bad I want to tear up a nearly original truck.It doesn't have the original engine,dealer changed in 54.Dealer installed flatbed in 49.I'm 4th owner.Other than a new seat cover,that's all that's been done to this truck.

I'm looking at S-10 frame,and a 350 auto if I decide to rod it.Even concidered a TPI injected 4.3 and OD tranny.

So what do you think.Here are the pics.

49 Chevy
Rusty Member #13872
Instead of saying.....you are a discomfort in the back of my front.....one should be able to say...... you are a pain in the *a$#*

71 GMC LWB
49 Chevy
85 Chevy G20

Check out my website
Brainchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2005, 10:46 AM   #2
Phat

Its your truck so you should do as you want. To restore your looking at way over 15 grand. Most restos can be had for 10 to 14 grand .Rods how ever can cost you 10- 20 grand(more if you get crazy and farm out the work) These trucks rodded now are in the 10-50 grand range and getting crazer ever day. Read my post on s-10 it might change your mind. Make sure you have a budget in mind first,i think that will make you decide what too do.
Phat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 12:53 AM   #3
Brainchild
Still drivin' a Rat Rod

Let's see Budget..........none,well to speak of anyway.Of course I have no time to equal things out
Rusty Member #13872
Instead of saying.....you are a discomfort in the back of my front.....one should be able to say...... you are a pain in the *a$#*

71 GMC LWB
49 Chevy
85 Chevy G20

Check out my website
Old 06-29-2005, 08:00 AM   #4
Hart_Rod

Street Rod:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=90965

Rob
Hart_Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 01:18 PM   #5
Fred T
Cantankerous Geezer

The street rods get a lot more money on resale, if they're done the way someone else likes. But, do not base my decision on resale value, base it on what you want. And figure that your original plan will change as you do the work. One more thing, if you are doing this to make money, you'll probably get a better return at the bank. Unless you're real good and very lucky, you won't be able to sell your completed truck for the money you have invested. And that's not counting your labor. The reason we have old trucks is to stay out of the house, spend money and have fun working on them.

There is no such thing as too much cam...just not enough engine.
Fred T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 03:13 PM   #6
Brainchild
Still drivin' a Rat Rod

I'm not planning on selling the truck now or anytime in the future.In fact it took me 10 years to get it.
But things come up,so you never know.I just didn't want to totally ruin the value of a fairly clean ol truck.

Now yesterday I drove my 67 around a little,and decided that it needs PS,PB,and ect.Looks like I'm gonna do some kind of a frame swap.Prolly change to short bed,and ect.Hopefully I can start on the thing in the fall.
Rusty Member #13872

71 GMC LWB
49 Chevy
85 Chevy G20

Check out my website
Old 06-30-2005, 11:14 AM   #7
escher

you only live once

so do whatever makes you happy
escher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 06:25 PM   #8
Brainchild
Still drivin' a Rat Rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by escher
you only live once

so do whatever makes you happy
I'd be Divorced,broke and in jail
Rusty Member #13872

71 GMC LWB
49 Chevy
85 Chevy G20

Check out my website
Old 07-02-2005, 10:00 AM   #9
BigSix302

I am the type of person that really enjoys both worlds. There is a lot to be said for a nice retoration as well as a great Hot Rod. It does however depend mostly on your abilities, financial depth, and time considerations. I like to do a great deal of my own work. It would be nice to farm some of it out, but the expense keeps me from it. Consequently I do not have a really nice, finished truck yet. One day! It will all come together. It may not be the best out there, but it will be mine, done by me, and the way I like it. A driver for sure!! Good luck with your prize and have some fun with it along the way. Rick
Old 07-03-2005, 03:11 AM   #10
Brainchild
Still drivin' a Rat Rod

Quote:
Consequently I do not have a really nice, finished truck yet. One day! It will all come together. It may not be the best out there, but it will be mine, done by me, and the way I like it. A driver for sure!! Good luck with your prize and have some fun with it along the way. Rick
That's makes both of us.And I do 95% of the work myself also.cause I like to have bragging rights............oh and I'm broke

You can't buy a hotrod,a real one is built by you IMO.

I went looking for an S-10 frame today,even after the heated debate.it seems like the cheapest/easiest solution for me.Hopefully I can get underway in a couple of months.Still have to get some things figured out
Rusty Member #13872

71 GMC LWB
49 Chevy
85 Chevy G20

Check out my website
Old 07-05-2005, 09:40 AM   #11
Phat

Hey Rusty on your 67 you dont have to go the complete frame swap. Just yank the front crossmember out of a newer 80s truck with disc. It will allmost bolt in. maybe have to drill 2 or 4 holes i forgot. But its a pretty straight forward swap.
Do yourself a favor and ask some of the guys that have done there s-10 swap how many years it took them too do or if they ever finished it.(not some well equipt shop) I had one here the other day poor guy is thinkin about buying and after market frame(8000 bucks !!!)....he has worked on the s-10 deal for 4 years in his driveway and garage with too many problems. Also check front a-frames when your shopping around we found his to be very rusted and one will need replacing if he keeps it. Second ...dont toss the stock frame . This poor guy is kicking himself in the rear for giving his frame away.. Same deal no money and thought it would be easy as he is a good welder.I just may surprize him with stock frame next week for free!!!!
Old 07-05-2005, 09:51 AM   #12
Phat

This is a nice s-10/AD in NY. But from the back window back everthing is hand made. From the frame rails to bed sides. He did a nice job But its a tight fit.
More of a long clip Job
Attached Images

Old 07-05-2005, 05:53 PM   #13
Brainchild
Still drivin' a Rat Rod

Phat,I'm still not totally decided on which way to go with this even now.I have been kicking it around for over a year,and still no closer than when I got the truck.

I definitely want power disc brakes,power steering,5 lug axles,and IFS.Also gonna swap the rear to a 10 bolt,maybe a 12,depending on how stupid I get up front.Plan for now is to make it a nice streetable truck.But then my Nova started that way,and ended up running high 10's

So shoot me some ideas,low $$ junkyard type stuff,that will work on the stock frame.Links and or pics would be good.

As far as the 67,I bought a 71 3/4 ton with all the disc brakes,and goodies on it
Rusty Member #13872

71 GMC LWB
49 Chevy
85 Chevy G20

Check out my website

Last edited by Brainchild; 07-05-2005 at 05:55 PM.