The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-18-2006, 12:25 AM   #1
byrd
Union Electrician

Pics of exhaust routed outside the frame rails

For project Frank I am thinking of running my exhaust outside the frame rails to not go thru the trailing arm x-member. Anybody who has done this and would like to share some ideas on this I would appreciate it. TIA...Randy
Zip:40272
Big Sandy Survivor...

Quote:
We cannot choose the way we die, but we can choose the way we live
Quote:
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.
Quote:
I think Congressmen should wear uniforms like NASCAR drivers so we could identify their corporate sponsors
byrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 12:35 AM   #2
Slammed70

Re: Pics of exhaust routed outside the frame rails

There was a pic of a truck like that on here a while ago....it was just a chassis with the motor and the exhaust routed.

Personally I dont care for it....I value running wide tires.
Old 12-18-2006, 12:44 AM   #3
byrd
Union Electrician

I have 15x10's on the back with a nice back space and plenty of room for the exhaust still
Attached Images

Big Sandy Survivor...

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I think Congressmen should wear uniforms like NASCAR drivers so we could identify their corporate sponsors
Old 12-18-2006, 12:50 AM   #4
roj2323

well it's an idea but usualy running the exhaust through the crossmember is done for ground clearance. in essence instead of cutting holes through the crossmember you'd be cutting holes through the frame which isn't really a good idea.
what i have planned for my 71 is running it through the crossmember then follow along the inside of the frame untill the last 3-4ft where i would run it directly underneith the frame rail.

food for thought,
ondrew
p.s. i wrote a FAQ on the crossmember modification it's honestly pretty easy and only about 2hrs of work with the bed off.

Last edited by roj2323; 12-18-2006 at 12:53 AM. Reason: grammer doh! it's still bad
roj2323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 01:00 AM   #5
SCOTI

I don't have a pic but we ran the exhaust on the outside of the framerails on my buddies 65 short-fleet.

We used slicked ram horns & turned the exhaust pipes 90° under the frame right behind the front wheels. The pipes were tucked up behind the rockers & stayed above the framerails w/o having to modify the t-arm c.member. He used some 2-chamber Flowmasters that were tucked up just under the front of the bedsides & the system dumped @ the rear-end so it was loud (too loud for me). I'm not sure sound wise how it would compare to the traditional location of under the bed (loud vs. too loud).
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 09:07 AM   #6
68C15
blood type; Retumbo

is what you are looking for? I did this merely to avoid sharp bends at the rear. my next time around I will do like said above and come out the side behind the shocks and put mufflers under the bed sides.
Attached Images

68C15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 09:58 AM   #7
70c10
67-72 Addict!

Randy, look here:http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1972-...QQcmdZViewItem

1970 C/10 Fleetside w/Ghost Flames
Lowered 4.5" front and 4" rear (Raked)
355/350 Turbo w/shift kit
10" Redneck Performance Verter w/2500 stall
Hooker Super Comps part#2808-1
Performer RPM Air-Gap
12 Bolt w/3:73 gears- Eaton Posi
Comp Cams XE262 with 1.6 Crane Energizers, Road Demon 625 and Brodix IK 180 heads
70c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 11:04 AM   #8
byrd
Union Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by roj2323 View Post
well it's an idea but usualy running the exhaust through the crossmember is done for ground clearance. in essence instead of cutting holes through the crossmember you'd be cutting holes through the frame which isn't really a good idea.
what i have planned for my 71 is running it through the crossmember then follow along the inside of the frame untill the last 3-4ft where i would run it directly underneith the frame rail.

food for thought,
ondrew
p.s. i wrote a FAQ on the crossmember modification it's honestly pretty easy and only about 2hrs of work with the bed off.

You have made an assumption, I AM NOT going thru thr frame, but rather under and around it get out of the rear suspention
Big Sandy Survivor...

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 12-18-2006, 11:05 AM   #9
byrd
Union Electrician

Jim
Thank for the link, that is kinda what I'm looking for cept I'm going all the way out to the back
Big Sandy Survivor...

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 12-18-2006, 11:07 AM   #10
byrd
Union Electrician

68c15 thank that is what I'm talking about out the rear. I will most likely go out sooner than you, more like the one in the link
Big Sandy Survivor...

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 12-18-2006, 11:33 AM   #11
jerry moss
Born Psycho

byrd,
i don't have pics but i've worked in the same muffler shop since 1985 and have done a few outside the frame. the only problem is if you want too large diameter pipe, to keep the pipe tucked up close to the floor it's tight at the rear of the cab where it hangs down next to the frame rail. i personally don't like doing them like that since the system is too visable when looking through wheel opening.
69 suburban K20-tilt,tach,vacuum,speedwarning,buckets,shoulder belts,am/fm,4 inch all spring lift,4 speed, 14 bolt full floater, dana 44 HD,warn winch,posi front and rear,tow hooks,plus other goodies.
73/80 chevy/gmc K20 SB400,turbo 400,205,tilt,a-c,gas hog.
77 K/5 cheyenne blazer-daily driver/beater. SON HAS IT NOW
BRENTWOOD,CALIFORNIA
jerry moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 11:34 AM   #12
Hart_Rod

Byrd, I'm planning on doing that on my 69 Burb also. I'm worried about clearance with my bags all the way down. Can't wait to see pics.
Hart_Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 11:54 AM   #13
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

There was guy on the 2000 Hot Rod Power Tour, that had just that done. He ran his exhaust through the frame just behind the headers, by using a boxing method on the frame and then putting large round tubes through the box and the frame. After passing the frame he had his mufflers just behind the cab and then turned out in front of the rear wheels. He had trimmed his body to let the exhaust tips fit into the sheetmetal and there was plenty of ground clearance. I have pictures on my work computer of this vehicle, and I will have to dig for them. The guy had a very clean install and the magazines did a full run on him in tow or three different venues. The truck was a customized yellow 71 that had a big block in it and custom grille and interior work.
piecesparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 12:46 PM   #14
whatnow123

Quote:
Originally Posted by piecesparts View Post
He ran his exhaust through the frame just behind the headers, by using a boxing method on the frame and then putting large round tubes through the box and the frame. After passing the frame he had his mufflers just behind the cab and then turned out in front of the rear wheels.
I'm not trying to hi-jack this thread, but does anyone have ideas or photos for an exhaust that dumps right before the rear tires without going through the frame e.g. AAR Cuda style? Would the exhaust be able to run on the inside frame and then just angle out? I haven't been all over my truck enough yet to figure everything out as it's a recent purchase, so I'd thought I'd add this to the mix on this thread.
Attached Images

whatnow123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 06:02 PM   #15
CJJ67

I'm not trying to steal this thread, but roj2323, why a 4.5 inch hole? My duel exhaust is 2.5 inches so I wanted to do this but instead use a 3.5 inch hole. Am I way off on this one? Are you using the larger hole because you have bigger than 2.5 inch exhaust? I like the write you did in the FAQ section. Very detailed.
CJJ67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 06:16 PM   #16
CPNEJR

whatnow123 this is what i have...don't mean to hijack
Attached Images

72 Chevy K20 Suburban (future project)
70 Chevy K20 now 68 GMC K2500
2003 Chevy 2500hd ccsb 4X4 (daily driver)
CPNEJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 07:48 PM   #17
Solver

Randy the exhaust on my work truck runs outside the frame rails. I don't mind it that way other than it looks alittle bad when you see it inside the rear wheel wells. I don't care for that part of it but other than that it fits in well and was problably cheaper to build as there were less bends. I still prefer the exhaust from LMC for fit and look. I went out and took these pics in the dark so if there is something different you need to see let me know and I'll take some daylight pics
Attached Images

• 1972 Cheyenne Super 10 LWB-green
  • 1972 GMC 4x4 LWB-White
  • 1971 Cheyenne 10 LWB-Ochre
  • 1971 Cheyenne 20 Longhorn-Copper
  • 1971 Cheyenne 20 Longhorn-Black
  • 1969 Custom 10 LWB-lt blue
  • 1968 GMC 3/4 ton-green
  • 1968 1/2 ton swb stepside-silver
  • 1967 Chevrolet CST 10 LWB-green
  • 1967 Chevrolet custom 20 LWB-Maroon
Solver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 08:11 PM   #18
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry moss View Post
byrd,
i don't have pics but i've worked in the same muffler shop since 1985 and have done a few outside the frame. the only problem is if you want too large diameter pipe, to keep the pipe tucked up close to the floor it's tight at the rear of the cab where it hangs down next to the frame rail. i personally don't like doing them like that since the system is too visable when looking through wheel opening.
On my friends truck, we curled the cab sheetmetal to allow plenty of room for a 2.5" pipe. To keep it out of view, we coated the pipes w/some hi-temp black header paint from VHT (the 1200° stuff).

It was alot harder to notice though on his because the truck was pretty freakin' low.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 08:42 PM   #19
Huck

Randy, my project short bed in the barn, on the lift, has the exhaust run outside the rails and to the back coming out straight under the rear bumper. I love that design--much less curves, no frame cutting issues, less chance for banging on things, and it sounds just super especially with big 4" tips. I will take a few shots for you. Huck
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 09:57 PM   #20
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

I'm 2000 miles from my 67 but it has exhaust run out just behind the front wheels and the muffs are under the sides of it since it's a panel.(same as a fleet)I can't remember how we ran it at the back,(A friend worked at a muffler shop)But it has the rear mounted tank and the tailpipes cross just at the rear axle then down the framerails out under the bumper.I "think" we came across the rails in the front curve of the kickup for the rear axle(enough above the axle curve to miss the trailing arms) and then back out to lay just below the framerails on out.We used 2" pipe but that was 15-20 years ago.I think it would get tight with anything larger.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 10:07 PM   #21
byrd
Union Electrician

Thanks everyone for the responses.
Warren, yeah I would like to see it and my stop in soon as I think I am going back to see Bill again soon.

I'm an electrician by trade and am very proficient at bending conduit and believe I will be able to disguise the pipe more so than others by staying close to the rail and following the contours of it too. I will most likely uses Sotti's idea and paint the pipe with some Eastwoods high temp in black to further disguise it.
Big Sandy Survivor...

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Last edited by byrd; 12-18-2006 at 10:08 PM.
Old 12-18-2006, 10:59 PM   #22
68C15
blood type; Retumbo

it costs a few more dollars but I suggest using the strap clamps like mine has. that way if you ever need to remove any it comes apart REAL EASY.
68C15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 12:00 AM   #23
bryanw1968

Exhaust is such a personal choice, aside from performance.....
If you have coils in the rear exhaust is a pain in the a$$ on these model trucks. I have had mufflers underneath the cab and under the bed. I've also had pipes run underneath the driveshaft loop and outside the frame rails. I personally prefer exhaust run 'inside' the frame rails. To me it just looks cleaner. Optimally running through the drive shaft loop would be best so you don't see anything hanging down and you actually have a full exhaust somewhere out the back. IMHO
bryanw1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 11:54 AM   #24
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

Here are the pictures of the truck I saw on the Power Tour back in 2000. this guy did an outstanding job and it was being driven across country. It is very clean. Take a close look at the grille for a different look, not to mention the dual wheels in the back.
Attached Images

piecesparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 12:12 PM   #25
c10crazy
Like a Rock!

I like the exhaust but don't like how he ruined the grille with square headlights or the flattened wheel arches.
c10crazy is offline   Reply With Quote