The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-08-2011, 01:29 PM   #226
brn agn

Re: Project Charity Case

Quote:
Originally Posted by abebummy26 View Post
Fritz's is no longer fritz's, It's still just as good though. I'm not sure if el Nopal is still El Nopal. It's been a while since I have been there. Dairy delight is still there though. Alot of stuff has changed since then. Wal Mart moved. Target is out by where Chico's used to be. There is a Kohl's out there as well. 100 is 4 lane all the way to 44.
Wow, I have missed out on a lot of changes! I need to stop back in there to check the town out someday.

1971 Cheyenne Super A Combined Effort

The Service Station-A practical ministry for those in need
brn agn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 02:20 PM   #227
jb1016
"Oh well, it's a driver."

Nice pic, I like the hidden hitch behind the bumper.

When can we expect an "alternate tinkerings" Z28 build thread?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Petty
I don't know, but I've been told: You never slow down, you never grow old.
jb1016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 05:17 PM   #228
brn agn

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb1016 View Post
Nice pic, I like the hidden hitch behind the bumper.

When can we expect an "alternate tinkerings" Z28 build thread?
I should probably start a build thread because it is an "interesting" car. I bought it at as a non-running car from the state drug seizure auction (I bid on it, but didn't think I would have the high bid!). I tore into the engine to figure out what exactly I had and have found that the previous owner spent some money on go-fast parts. I'm taking pictures as I go. When I get some free time, I'll start a thread.

Old 11-08-2011, 05:21 PM   #229
mcbassin
Still Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by brn agn View Post
because it is an "interesting" car. I bought it at as a non-running car from the state drug seizure auction (I bid on it, but didn't think I would have the high bid!). I tore into the engine to figure out what exactly I had and have found that the previous owner spent some money on go-fast parts. I'm taking pictures as I go. When I get some free time, I'll start a thread.
Please more info on the drug seizure auction. Is it local? So you low balled it and bought it?
definetly need a link to your new build thread.
mcbassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 05:32 PM   #230
VA72C10
VA72C10

Definitely start a thread on the Camaro!

So what's the plan for it? Keep and enjoy / flip / use in the ministry?
Old 11-08-2011, 06:39 PM   #231
brn agn

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbassin View Post
Please more info on the drug seizure auction. Is it local? So you low balled it and bought it?
definetly need a link to your new build thread.
Short story: North Carolina State Surplus sells retired vehicles (police cars, cars used in the various departments, etc...). They also sell the cars that have been seized by police agencies and from what I can tell it is usually related to drug possession. Their lot is about 15 minutes from my day job. Well, this particular Camaro was for sale about a month ago. I didn't bid on it at the time because I wasn't able to see it in person. The winning bidder never paid for it, so they auctioned it off a second time (sealed bid both times). I was able to look at the car the second time around and although it is in rough shape, it had an LS1 with aftermarket heads, intake, etc... I bid nearly 50% less than what it had sold for the first time and was the high bidder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA72C10 View Post
Definitely start a thread on the Camaro!

So what's the plan for it? Keep and enjoy / flip / use in the ministry?
My daily driver will turn over 200,000 miles on it next month. My thought is to use the Camaro to replace the current daily driver...but it depends on how streetable it is going to be. If doesn't have good street manners, I will sell it, or pull the engine and use it in another project (my first car).

Old 11-08-2011, 11:11 PM   #232
gcburdic
Restoration Virgin!

Quote:
If doesn't have good street manners
if IT doesn't have good street manners!!! I believe the ole saying works here.....
it's the Indian, not the arrow

1972 Custom Deluxe C20 Suburban A Suburban Named Isabella

1966 Ford Mustang Mama's High School Graduation Present
gcburdic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 01:06 PM   #233
ERASER5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcburdic View Post
if IT doesn't have good street manners!!! I believe the ole saying works here.....
it's the Indian, not the arrow
Snicker! Honest officer, this car won't do slow!
ERASER5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 06:47 PM   #234
jb1016
"Oh well, it's a driver."

Anybody else think Roscoe needs an LS1??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Petty
I don't know, but I've been told: You never slow down, you never grow old.
jb1016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 10:08 PM   #235
mcbassin
Still Learning

Quote:
Short story: North Carolina State Surplus sells retired vehicles (police cars, cars used in the various departments, etc...). They also sell the cars that have been seized by police agencies and from what I can tell it is usually related to drug possession. Their lot is about 15 minutes from my day job. Well, this particular Camaro was for sale about a month ago. I didn't bid on it at the time because I wasn't able to see it in person. The winning bidder never paid for it, so they auctioned it off a second time (sealed bid both times). I was able to look at the car the second time around and although it is in rough shape, it had an LS1 with aftermarket heads, intake, etc... I bid nearly 50% less than what it had sold for the first time and was the high bidder.

My daily driver will turn over 200,000 miles on it next month. My thought is to use the Camaro to replace the current daily driver...but it depends on how streetable it is going to be. If doesn't have good street manners, I will sell it, or pull the engine and use it in another project (my first car).
You sure have a way with words brother

Thanks for the run down the auction. I would love to have the LS1 for one my Camaros for sure. Give me a message if you decide to turn a small profit
mcbassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 11:04 PM   #236
Alvin
Never Done?

Very cool! Love to see ya driving it and using it. I'm hoping to get mine to a similar point in the next few months.

Ethel has been sold.
Alvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 01:29 PM   #237
72BlckButy
Tot Roddin'

Quote:
Wow, I have missed out on a lot of changes! I need to stop back in there to check the town out someday.
Washington is not the town it once was. Haha.

1969 CST SWB - Project Blank Slate (4.5/6" ECE Static Drop, 6-lug disc brake upgrade (manual), Billet Specialties Vintec 20x8.5 255/40 (F) 20x10 295/40 (R), 250 I-6)
1960 AMF Skylark - Tot Roddin' (Lowered with custom frame; soon to include custom push bar and interior)
2008 Silverado CrewCab 1LT (5.3L, 3:73, 4x4, LT1, Z-71, Towing Package)
72BlckButy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 02:26 AM   #238
Mike Bradbury

I like the pic of you towing the Camaro.

When I bought my truck I thought the first thing I would do is paint it because I did not like the turquoise. After a while of looking at it I started to like it and now the more guys I see with our color trucks I am glad I did not paint it.
Glad to see it at work helping those in need.

Project: Barn Raising http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=414961

Project: 30 Be Low https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=830583
Mike Bradbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 07:08 AM   #239
brn agn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bradbury View Post
I like the pic of you towing the Camaro.

When I bought my truck I thought the first thing I would do is paint it because I did not like the turquoise. After a while of looking at it I started to like it and now the more guys I see with our color trucks I am glad I did not paint it.
Glad to see it at work helping those in need.
Mike, The color has grown on me too. I've been keeping an eye on your build thread. Your truck is really coming together nicely!

Old 04-17-2012, 11:31 AM   #240
Mike Bradbury

I wish our church had a ministry like The Service Station, seems like there is always a need out there for something like that. As cars get more computer dependent it gets increasingly more expensive to maintain them, I like the old cars, a screwdriver and a crescent wrench will go far on those engines.

Old 04-17-2012, 12:27 PM   #241
brn agn

Quote:
I wish our church had a ministry like The Service Station, seems like there is always a need out there for something like that. As cars get more computer dependent it gets increasingly more expensive to maintain them, I like the old cars, a screwdriver and a crescent wrench will go far on those engines.
I encourage you to consider starting a ministry. I started by just telling people that I knew a little about working on cars. The word got around and people started calling. I was encouraged to make it an official ministry and recruit other volunteers. Four of us now meet every Sunday morning to review applications, generate ideas for raising funds, figure out how we can reach more people, etc... Later this year, the four of us will take a break from it and four new volunteers will take over for 6 months (at least that is the plan).

Much like you stated, one thing I have learned is that in the long run it is cheaper for us to raise money and pay a qualified Technician to troubleshoot problems vs. us trying to do it ourselves. We will tackle basic jobs, but I have been leaving the difficult problems for the experts. It is refreshing to work on a 43 year old truck with a handful of tools on the weekend.

Old 04-17-2012, 10:27 PM   #242
jbclassix
Junk Yartist

Quote:
Quote:
I encourage you to consider starting a ministry. I started by just telling people that I knew a little about working on cars. The word got around and people started calling. I was encouraged to make it an official ministry and recruit other volunteers. Four of us now meet every Sunday morning to review applications, generate ideas for raising funds, figure out how we can reach more people, etc... Later this year, the four of us will take a break from it and four new volunteers will take over for 6 months (at least that is the plan).

Much like you stated, one thing I have learned is that in the long run it is cheaper for us to raise money and pay a qualified Technician to troubleshoot problems vs. us trying to do it ourselves. We will tackle basic jobs, but I have been leaving the difficult problems for the experts. It is refreshing to work on a 43 year old truck with a handful of tools on the weekend.
When I lived in CO I volunteered at Car Care Clinic through our church. Mike, the owner of Autowerks opened his shop to applicants and we did free oil changes and basic inspections. I loved it. I miss it.

YOU ONLY FAIL IF YOU STOP TRYING

70 Crew Cab Build Link

70 GMC Suburban 4X4 build thread

95 Yukon Daily Driver

Rebuilding an NP205
jbclassix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 03:17 AM   #243
Mike Bradbury

When I was a Deacon we had a benevolence fund that had money in it for these as well as other reasons (rent, roof repair, food, etc...) we had many cars fixed and it was rewarding to be part of the fix. The fund still continues and the needy are still helped but I like the action steps like the service station theory. I actually work at the church as the facilities manager for the last 18 years so I do get a lot of opportunities to jump start, slim jim, or change a flat, for congregation members stuck in the parking lot. We did have a handyman ministry where a bunch of guys would go fix things at peoples houses, the leader has moved on and the ministry kind of faded, though we still do jobs from time to time but not as many as we used to.
Here is our website;
www.cabc.org

Old 05-19-2012, 08:23 PM   #244
brn agn

Roscoe has been working hard this week. The car in the picture below was donated to the car ministry last year. Some volunteers performed some minor repairs, and cleaned up it recently. I had it inspected last week and it should be transferred to a deserving family on Monday. I'll be towing it to church tomorrow morning so it will be ready for them Monday. Besides that, I have also been daily driving Roscoe since last week (well, my wife and I have been sharing him). Driving an old truck always sparks a lot more conversations than driving a plain vanilla sedan!

Old 05-19-2012, 11:15 PM   #245
Rusbuilt

I just gotta say I love your truck. And I am inspired by your story. Ministry is not always easy, it can be very trying on your faith.. We need more people in the world like you!
Rusbuilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 08:09 AM   #246
brn agn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusbuilt View Post
I just gotta say I love your truck. And I am inspired by your story. Ministry is not always easy, it can be very trying on your faith.. We need more people in the world like you!
I've learned a lot about serving others in the last 3 years. I think the best thing that has happened is connecting with a core group of like minded people that help share the load.

Old 05-20-2012, 09:15 AM   #247
Rusbuilt

Quote:
I've learned a lot about serving others in the last 3 years. I think the best thing that has happened is connecting with a core group of like minded people that help share the load.
Yeah, I'd say that makes a difference.
Rusbuilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 09:33 AM   #248
gcburdic
Restoration Virgin!

Roscoe always looks happy working!!!....

1972 Custom Deluxe C20 Suburban A Suburban Named Isabella

1966 Ford Mustang Mama's High School Graduation Present
gcburdic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 09:58 PM   #249
1972CST

Is Roscoe done??? Your truck build and ministry efforts are an inspiration to me!
God Bless!
1972CST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 12:34 PM   #250
brn agn

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1972CST View Post
Is Roscoe done??? Your truck build and ministry efforts are an inspiration to me!
God Bless!
Kind of. I'm just driving him right now. In fact, I used him to move a donated car for the ministry and a friend's van that broke down a couple of weeks ago. The transmission went out on my daily driver awhile back, so I have been daily driving Roscoe 60 miles a day for the last month.

I've been thinking about some upgrades before next summer...interior re-do, faster ratio steering box and power brakes are at the top of my list.