The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-07-2009, 01:16 AM   #376
Ackattack

Re: Ackattack's Pro touring restoration thread

It's ALIVE!!!!!

I have a few issues to work out.
The gas pedal isn't working the throttle body.....I got a DTC for that
The tachometer isn't working and I got a DTC for that.
1 of the electric fans isn't working.
I got an exhaust leak or two.

Earlier today I was using a battery charger to test some things out, but HPtuner wouldn't connect to the ECM. I checked all of the connection to it, and it checked out. Then it dawned on me....the battery charger was only putting out ~10V by the time it got to the ECM.....so I hooked up the battery and that was good. Then it would turn over, but not start....it sure sounded like it wanted to, but wouldn't. Then I realized the vacuum port for the brake booster on the intake manifold was open. Plugged that and it pretty much started right up!

When I got HPtuner loaded, it told me the ECM was an 05, and I thought it was an 04. I'm using an 04 wiring harness. That could be the issue, but I'm guessing not.
Ackattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 01:46 AM   #377
Rokcrln

Sweet good job! I hope I am only a few weeks away from this on my Tahoe but only time will tell.

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Rokcrln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 07:20 AM   #378
Hart_Rod

Sweet! Who did you get your software from and what all can you do with it?

R/
Hart_Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 08:35 AM   #379
menace121978

right on man. now that you heard him run it wont be long now! congrats buddy!! as for the pedal... Bob(glock) had a similiar problem with his. he had a pedal out of a '04 and he needed the new style pedal out of an 05-06 to jive with the ecm. check his build thread here http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...350986&page=34 between page 30-34. just an idea and thought man good luck.

sounds like you need a couple big heaters out there. (unless your garage looks like mine) 36* is a bit chilly

1978 Silverado (2wd, 1/2 ton, short bed)complete nut & bolt frame off restomod LQ9/4L80E
MY LS SWAP/FRAME OFF BUILD BOOK

2006 TBSS way too much to list
menace121978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 08:39 AM   #380
Thealien

I am watching this for your troubleshooting solutions. My engine should be going in within the next couple of weeks? Sounded great, you must be thrilled. I hope the pedal is a simple fix for you!
Thealien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 10:41 AM   #381
lyrikz
PITbut

Normally one fan ties in with the AC system. It doesnt turn on unless it gets a signal the AC is on. Just a thought.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=676047

My new YOUTUBE channel.. Videos of my truck and a current walk around.
Lyrikz74 Youtube channel DONE! SOLD!

My 1971 stepside build thread
My Build Thread UPDATED 6/11. DONE
and sold.
lyrikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 11:35 AM   #382
Ackattack

I got the software from HPtuner (google them). You can pretty much retune everything, fuel tables, spark tables, transmission shifting, fan on/off, speed limiter, rev limiter, error codes......about anything the ecm controls.

There is even options for 2 bar/3 bar setups for high boost turbo/supercharger applications.

I need to check the wiring on the TAC module. Luckily our crewcab is an '05, so if all else fails, I can yank out the gas pedal to see if that's the problem.

I'll have to check on the fans. In HPtuner there is a high setting and a low setting. Only the high setting turns on the one fan. I figured the low setting would turn on the other one.
Old 12-07-2009, 12:12 PM   #383
mcbassin
Still Learning

AWESOME! That thing sounds good coming out of those sick headers! Let us know what you find out about the little bugs. Keep it up! you should be driving that puppy in no time.
mcbassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 12:41 PM   #384
Ackattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbassin View Post
AWESOME! That thing sounds good coming out of those sick headers! Let us know what you find out about the little bugs. Keep it up! you should be driving that puppy in no time.
You're probably right, I could drive it in no time.......but I live in Washington where it rains all winter, and I live down a mile long pot holed drive way, so it may be spring when it drys out a little before I actually drive it. We'll see though....maybe it will dry out for a few days.
Old 12-07-2009, 01:33 PM   #385
lippsgarage

Awesome man, awesome. Although, I think you just convinced me to do my 383 carb swap with a shaker hood for my '79 Gimmie nuts and bolts, wiring, other than stereos, I'm Glad it's all coming together for you though. How's the little guy doing? Happy Holidays, Merry Christmas, and everything else.
lippsgarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 07:13 PM   #386
joejbal

Is the throttle body, tac module and pedal out of the same truck? If so, the problem is usally that the tac module doesnt have power in crank AND run.

Last edited by joejbal; 12-07-2009 at 07:39 PM.
joejbal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 07:50 PM   #387
Ackattack

Got the gas pedal fixed....easy fix.

Basically the TAC module wasn't getting an ignition power supply. I had the wires all hooked up correctly, this particular wire going to the "Empty IGN" wire on the SA-001 fuse block. Well that wire does not come with a fuse installed.

So after a few minutes of testing with a test light I narrowed it down to the problem, installed a fuse, and fired it up.....and then reved it up!

On to the next problem!
Old 12-12-2009, 08:05 PM   #388
Thealien

Sweeet
Old 12-13-2009, 09:35 PM   #389
Ackattack

Last night I was able to remove the steering column, re-weld the tab for the nuetral safety switch, and then re-install it.

I also noticed (after trying out the thottle) that the water pump is leaking at the block. I know that the water pump and the rest of the accessories were on a different block before I got it, and I never changed out the gaskets when I got it. So it really isn't a surprise.

I ordered a rag joint rebuild kit, so hopefully I'll get the tranny shifter set up installed, as well as the rest of the steeriing column shaft this week.
Old 12-13-2009, 09:50 PM   #390
VA72C10
VA72C10

good progress.
Old 12-15-2009, 03:48 PM   #391
72 SHORTBED 7.0

Good work not two much longer keep it up ....
72 SHORTBED 7.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 03:14 PM   #392
Ackattack

Well I've been spinning my wheels (figurativly only )

So in trying to get the tach to work, I used a "pull-up" circuit as described on LS1tech. As far as I can tell, doing this burnt out the ECM, so now the truck won't start at all. I'll be ordering a new ECM here shortly as well as building a circuit board to get a clean (and safe) tach signal.

I started installing the shifter. I'm using a lokar column shifter that uses a cable. Well I ordered the wrong diameter setup, so a new one is coming for that.

Also, I was reading about a board member breaking a tie rod, when it was hitting his pitman arm. Turns out he had the centerlink turned around 180 degrees. Just out of curiosity I went and checked how mine was installed, and sure enough it's 180 degrees out also. So I'll be flipping that around too.

And then I got the water pump gaskets to change out, need to get a bucket to drain the radiator fluid into (we're having our basement finished, and the drywallers stole all of my buckets )

I have the week between christmas and new years off, so I'm hoping to have the truck able to move under its own power by the end of the break. Then I will have a few more things until it will be time to get it inspected by the Highway patrol (since it has 2 VINS), registered, and then aligned.
Old 12-18-2009, 03:31 PM   #393
Sinister
Between Trucks...

That motor sounds sweet, you'll be driving it in no time.
Old 12-18-2009, 04:27 PM   #394
VA72C10
VA72C10

Sorry to hear about the issues with the ECM but I'm sure you'll have it up and running soon. Sounds like you have it all figured out. Do you have a picture or link of how the centerlink was installed wrong? Don't want to make the same mistake when re-installing mine. Thanks!
Old 12-18-2009, 04:48 PM   #395
Thealien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ackattack View Post
Well I've been spinning my wheels (figurativly only )

So in trying to get the tach to work, I used a "pull-up" circuit as described on LS1tech. As far as I can tell, doing this burnt out the ECM, so now the truck won't start at all. I'll be ordering a new ECM here shortly as well as building a circuit board to get a clean (and safe) tach signal.

Could you elaborate on this as a few of us are doing these swaps and you may save us from frying the PCM. Doesn't the PCM send out a tach signal?
Old 12-20-2009, 08:17 PM   #396
Ackattack

OK, I got the engine running.

So here is how I F*&#ed up.

The ECM I was using was from an '05 Yukon Denali with a 6.0L in it. My 5.3L engine is from an '05 Avalanche. I knew some of the engine parameters between the two would be different considering the displacement diffference. So...I took a look at the tune from my '05 Silverado also with a 5.3L. I figured "hey, I'll just copy all of the parameters over to the 68's tune, and for a stock application I should be good.

So using HPtuner I used the "compare" function and quickly and blindly changed all of the parameters to match my '05 silverado's tune.

Here's where I went wrong. There is a parameter in HPtuner called "Pedal Desired Area". I changed this to match my 05 silverado. So I fired it up with the new tune (not thinking anything of it) and hooked up my tach. Well it was the tune.

After going back and looking at my tune, the description of the "Pedal Desired Area" clearly says "WARNING!!! Modify this table at OWN RISK. Incompatibility of this calibration with the vehicle TAC module calibration may render PCM permanently inoperable" So really it's my own fault for going to fast, not paying attention.

So this little lesson in attention to detail has set me back $200....but I'm back up and running again!

More work to do!
Old 12-20-2009, 09:34 PM   #397
mcbassin
Still Learning

Sorry to hear about the $200 mistake. Thanks for the detail description of how it happened. Hope you get it all worked out. What was the deal on the centerlink? It will mount in either direction? Kinda crazy.
mcbassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 11:16 PM   #398
tk-mpl

Can you give us alittle more info on the mods you had to do to the nuetral safety switch. I am also looking for what Lokar shifter cable kit to use, what did you do wrong there.. What is the difference between the two.
Thanx
Trevor
Dominator 2600's all around.
Porterbuilt tubular control arms.
Magnaflow 3" dual exhaust.
tk-mpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 12:45 AM   #399
Ackattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by tk-mpl View Post
Can you give us alittle more info on the mods you had to do to the nuetral safety switch. I am also looking for what Lokar shifter cable kit to use, what did you do wrong there.. What is the difference between the two.
Thanx
Trevor
Actually, I don't think I did anything wrong with the shifter

Basically there are two sizes available. One shifter is for a 2" diameter steering column and the other is for 2-1/4". I originally got the 2" one. When I tried to put it on, it wouldn't slide over the steering shaft, so I thought I just got the wrong size.

I ordered the larger one from Summit, and tried to install it today. Well the large one is too big. So back to the smaller one. Basically between the paint and the primer, it makes the steering column a little larger diameter, so the 2" one is a very light fit
Old 12-21-2009, 12:47 AM   #400
Ackattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbassin View Post
Sorry to hear about the $200 mistake. Thanks for the detail description of how it happened. Hope you get it all worked out. What was the deal on the centerlink? It will mount in either direction? Kinda crazy.
Yeah, it will fit either direction. I got some pictures, but I'll have to post them later.