The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-10-2014, 06:19 PM   #26
t76turbo

Re: Front end isn't level after all new parts. Can't drive it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidaxel View Post
I need to raise one side of my 78 Silverado 1 inch, so you are saying that a one eight inch spacer will yield one inch, so I guess that is what I am going to look for
No. I needed an inch as well. I added a 1/2 inch spacer which added a total of 1 1/8 with me in it which is what I wanted. I wanted it to sit level or as close to it when I am driving. The maker of the spacer I got from summit says you get 2.5-3 times the spacer size in actual lift. I would say they were pretty close. But on the very lowest end of their range of course..

I imagine a different gen truck with different distances between the pivot point, spring location, and wheel could yield a different amount of lift. But this is what I saw on mine.
Old 02-10-2014, 06:25 PM   #27
t76turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampshire View Post
Most 235/75/15 tires on any tire chart are close to 29". I have them on my AD truck & they measure about 28.75. I suppose wear and inflation could make a bit of a diff. If something is hitting, I would think the measurement the matters is the radius from center to top of tire. The backspacing sounds standard for your rim size.

I'm in the tail end of changing to IFS and a different rear axle. I'm only going down a couple inches (stock height spindles, too). I'm getting new rims and am contemplating about a max 28" tire on front and a 29" in back. Doing a mockup tomorrow to scope some of this out...

Pics???

The tires are just over 28 tall now. But that is with some wear and my buddy eyeballing the measurement. It could easily have been on the higher side of 28 inches.

I need to crawl under it and try and take some meaningful pictures that someone may be able to pick something out of. I was going to do it while we put the spacer in but he had some free time and did it for me.

Anything in particular that would be best to take a pic of? I guess a straight on shot of the control arms would be a start. I may try to go grab some like that now.
Old 02-10-2014, 07:10 PM   #28
t76turbo

Not sure if any of this helps. But all I can get for now. Let me know if there is a specific thing that could help. And sorry for the crappy cell pics.

Old 02-10-2014, 07:25 PM   #29
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

Hard to tell in this pic,... but do you have a spacer under the lower balljoint castle nut?
Attached Images

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823
lolife99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 07:38 PM   #30
t76turbo

No spacer. Just a stepped area built into the mcgaughy spindle.

Here is a better pic.

Old 02-11-2014, 02:50 PM   #31
NEWFISHER

okay...I'm not a suspension guru but just making an observation that may or may not help:

You covered it early on and mentioned they were installed correctly but are they both upside down or is the passenger side right side up?

Coil springs are designed to have a "spring rate" that affects how they sit and travel. The Drivers side is upside down. Is the passenger one right side up or correctly installed and would the 180 flip of the spring crate a difference in spring rate and static height under a load i.e. collapsed with engine in etc.??

Thing 2
working at a body shop we have seen just the slightest dip, rise, mash, sway in a forward frame rail create the same issue you are seeing. Jackstand the truck under the floor of the cab and take measurements of the frame down from the firewall to the floor working your way forward. This eliminates the suspension and will tell you if your frame is somewhat square to the "supposed to be " level floor. Run a level across the floor area prior, just to find the best spot to do this. Also look for cross or diagonal points to measure to and from at a horizontal plane. You may find something.

Last edited by NEWFISHER; 02-11-2014 at 02:58 PM.
NEWFISHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 02:53 PM   #32
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWFISHER View Post
okay...I'm not a suspension guru but just making an observation that may or may not help:

Coil springs are designed to have a "spring rate" that affects how they sit and travel. The Drivers side is upside down. Is the passenger one right side up or correctly installed and would the 180 flip of the spring crate a difference in spring rate and static height under a load i.e. collapsed with engine in etc.??
These springs can't be installed upside down.
The ends of the springs are two different sizes.

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823
lolife99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 10:21 PM   #33
Hart_Rod

Dumb question, but do both of the spindles have the same drop?
Hart_Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 10:27 PM   #34
t76turbo

They looked the same . But worth looking at. I will put a tape measure on it and confirm. Just in case.
Old 02-11-2014, 11:40 PM   #35
tsmith

I not a expert on lowering and might sound dumb but a friend changed coils on his truck and didn't set the coil down in one side all the way, I guess what I'm saying is be sure the coil is turned where it sets all the way down in the notch where the coil spring ends, you would think it could force itself but his did not, Just saying
tsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 11:55 PM   #36
t76turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsmith View Post
I not a expert on lowering and might sound dumb but a friend changed coils on his truck and didn't set the coil down in one side all the way, I guess what I'm saying is be sure the coil is turned where it sets all the way down in the notch where the coil spring ends, you would think it could force itself but his did not, Just saying
Thanks for the input. We definitely did that. There is a slot in the lower control arm that the 'pig tail' on the bottom of the spring fits in. You can actually feel if it is in the slot or not with it fully assembled. So we checked during install as well as a couple times since.
Old 02-12-2014, 12:43 AM   #37
87chevy.com
BMW & ASE Master Certified

try this.. seems like a logial thing to do to check. raise the truck at the cross memebr and put jack stands on the frame around the cab support area. making sure both jack stands are in the same spot on each side and same height. then measure points of interest like bottom of rim to bottom of fender, lower control arm to another point and so on. compare and see whats different. if nothings different, maybe a weak spring, wrong spring, or something else wrong with that spring. if all measurments are the same, swap the springs.. does the height problem migrate?

New project: 2006 BMW x5 6cyl AWD to L83 6l80e 4wd to 2WD / RWD

A poor man buy's it twice

finally got my domain name back, 87chevy.com.... site rework in progress
87chevy.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 09:50 AM   #38
t76turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87chevy.com View Post
try this.. seems like a logial thing to do to check. raise the truck at the cross memebr and put jack stands on the frame around the cab support area. making sure both jack stands are in the same spot on each side and same height. then measure points of interest like bottom of rim to bottom of fender, lower control arm to another point and so on. compare and see whats different. if nothings different, maybe a weak spring, wrong spring, or something else wrong with that spring. if all measurments are the same, swap the springs.. does the height problem migrate?

I'll try your suggestions. It did have the lean with the old springs. But it can't hurt to try it.
Old 02-12-2014, 11:19 AM   #39
Hart_Rod

Another suggestion, swap springs side to side. It's a pain in the butt, but should confirm or eliminate the springs...
Hart_Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 06:30 PM   #40
Tork?

First of all your truck looks great! I'm lovin the steelies especially the 8's in the back (I have the same setup).

Based on this picture it looks like the spring is upside down. The McGaughy's logo looks upside down. Like was said above, being upside down really affects the spring rates and ability of the spring to travel. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't these progressive rate springs? Also, it probably won't seat correctly into the lower control arm.

Tork? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 07:27 PM   #41
t76turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tork? View Post
First of all your truck looks great! I'm lovin the steelies especially the 8's in the back (I have the same setup).

Based on this picture it looks like the spring is upside down. The McGaughy's logo looks upside down. Like was said above, being upside down really affects the spring rates and ability of the spring to travel. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't these progressive rate springs? Also, it probably won't seat correctly into the lower control arm.

Thank you. I appreciate it.

I don't think you can putt hen in upside down. The top has a much tighter spiral on the spring. The bottom has a pig tail that is exposed that let's it sit in the channel on the lower control arm.

Maybe mcgauphy should turn their stamp the other orientation to avoid confusion. I have seen other applications in the past that you had to specifically put the writing right side up. So I know what you ar saying. But I don't think these suffer that issue.
Old 02-28-2014, 04:00 PM   #42
65Gregg

Have you found the answer to this puzzle yet?

Blue long bed
White TBSS
61 Impala
“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.” Mark Twain
65Gregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 04:10 PM   #43
t76turbo

Nope.

I ended up putting a 1/2inch spacer on the drivers side which eliminated the inch lower stance but was still slightly too low for my tire height.

So I ordered a 1 inch spacer and put it in the drivers side and moved the 1/2 inch to the passenger side. It now rides great. No rubbing. And sits within an 1/8 inch of even.

So I guess it is just the Chevy lean as I have come to read a lot about.
Old 03-03-2014, 05:47 PM   #44
smashingchuck
It'd be alot cooler if you did

Quote:
Originally Posted by t76turbo View Post
So I guess it is just the Chevy lean as I have come to read a lot about.
Probably. But....

Since it undoubtably needs an alignment after these suspension mods, why not take it someplace that has a frame rack to have it aligned, and they can check the frame and pull it in while they are at it if its out. Then you'll know its right.

4Runner Build
smashingchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 10:36 AM   #45
t76turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashingchuck View Post
Probably. But....

Since it undoubtably needs an alignment after these suspension mods, why not take it someplace that has a frame rack to have it aligned, and they can check the frame and pull it in while they are at it if its out. Then you'll know its right.
That will probably be the next step. I am working on fuel stuff now. HAvent been driving it. Putting in a new Quadrajet for now until I can find an LS motor close by.

After the fuel stuff is done, I am going to try and find a shop that does the frame work. Off the top of my head, I dont know any. But I know some people who do. If it isnt too much more money to get it checked on the frame machine as well as aligned, I will be doing that for sure. Otherwise it is just an alignment first and frame shop later.
Old 03-05-2014, 09:08 AM   #46
RexDodge

A good alignment shop will be able to tell you if your frame is out of whack. Be sure to ask for a thrust alignment. When they do their set up and take initial measurements they'll see it.
RexDodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 12:06 AM   #47
Lowl!f3

This may sound really stupid. But measure from The upper a arm to the bottom a arm.
If they don't match the problem will be with the spindle or where the a arm connects to the crossmember.

Also I'm not sure. But do the springs have rubber above them in the pocket? If so that could be causing the issue as well.

All other things point to spring issue. Possibly a little more of one spring was cut back just enough to cause this crazy lean. Or something from the rear suspension is making the truck lean.
I know for a fact on S10. It has this issue and is called the S10 lean. It can be corrected by adjusting the rear suspension.