The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-27-2012, 11:39 AM   #1476
aggie91
I'm just glad to be here!

Re: Make it handle

dmw319 - it will make them stronger since the two parts are only spot welded together from the factory. I would weld about an inch long, skip a space and weld about an inch long the entire length of the arm. Do the top AND the bottom of the arm. Before welding, make sure to get all the paint and junk out of the seam. I will be doing mine once I get my son's truck rolling on it wheels and I have room to take mine apart again...

1965 Chevy Stepside(Grandpa's Old Blue) and (July 2015 Shop Build!)(2020, the Saga Continues)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=372424

The LST Challenge:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post7812257

Korbin's 1st Square: "Sunburn"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=418618

1985 GMC Sierra: "White Trash", Korbin's 2nd now...
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=632305

Henry - 1984 Chevrolet, Owen's 1st Square
aggie91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 12:58 PM   #1477
robnolimit

I am in favor of 'capping', 'plating', and 'boxing' the ends of the arms. They do need a little help here. I also think it's OK to add some weld, like Aggie suggested to the seams. But, I'm not sure it's such a good idea to box or plate the entire arm,- for ride and handling. For drag racing - yes. Show truck - yes. Canyon carver -no. The arm needs to 'twist' to let the suspension articulate freely. We want to control movement with springs, shocks, sway bars, not with 'binding' or suspension 'friction'.
2011 Truckin' Throwdown Champion
GoodGuys 2010 National Champion

Proud to put our products up against all others!
robnolimit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:51 PM   #1478
dmw319

awesome thanks for your suggestions guys! my truck is just a weekend driver, occasional non-pro show, occasional haul of mulch, etc. So my idea was to just beefen them up just a little and keep them from splitting down the road.

dmw319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 06:02 PM   #1479
jimmydean

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnolimit View Post
I am in favor of 'capping', 'plating', and 'boxing' the ends of the arms. They do need a little help here. I also think it's OK to add some weld, like Aggie suggested to the seams. But, I'm not sure it's such a good idea to box or plate the entire arm,- for ride and handling. For drag racing - yes. Show truck - yes. Canyon carver -no. The arm needs to 'twist' to let the suspension articulate freely. We want to control movement with springs, shocks, sway bars, not with 'binding' or suspension 'friction'.
So what about a tube arm vs the stock arm? Does the tube arm allow the same flex to let the suspension articulate?

I know there is a kit that bolts a plate to the bottom to stiffen the stock arms, but based on your input, Rob, this might not be a good idea from a touring performance standpoint.
Dropmember front
Dropmember rear
Corvette discs
Restored raised bed

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php?p=4295210
jimmydean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:48 PM   #1480
theastronaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmydean View Post
So what about a tube arm vs the stock arm? Does the tube arm allow the same flex to let the suspension articulate?

I know there is a kit that bolts a plate to the bottom to stiffen the stock arms, but based on your input, Rob, this might not be a good idea from a touring performance standpoint.
Tube arms need more flexible joints than the original style bushings. This thread shows what's needed.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=387475
Posted via Mobile Device
theastronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 12:14 PM   #1481
derrickmanx1

Loving the thread guys. Keep it up.
JAKES 4L80E TCI TCU PTC 10.5" 2800 STALL
My build thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...30#post5779530
derrickmanx1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 03:40 PM   #1482
jimmydean

Quote:
Originally Posted by theastronaut View Post
Tube arms need more flexible joints than the original style bushings. This thread shows what's needed.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=387475
Posted via Mobile Device
I recall Nate talking about these when another member made his own arms. I didn't think about the flex being in the joint. Thanks.
Dropmember front
Dropmember rear
Corvette discs
Restored raised bed

Old 12-01-2012, 07:06 PM   #1483
derrickmanx1

I just bought a cpp rear trailing arm coil spring kit w/3" springs, but it's to convert from leaf springs. I got their rear sway bar. I also got their a-arms and 2.5" drop spindles w/bilstien shocks. I hope this will help out a bunch. I want to run 18" rims. I like the JD wheels ridler 18x8's or 18x9.5. I want to run the same size on front and rear. I just wish I could figure out what back spacing to run.
Old 12-01-2012, 08:55 PM   #1484
gringoloco
A guy with a truck

It's tough to run the same BS front and rear on these trucks due to the difference in track width front/rear. Did you get the new 'school/old school' spindles? That would help get them closer. And you could probably get away with ~4 to 5" of backspacing all the way around, depending on your wheel width and the look you're going for, ie tucked or flush...
Posted via Mobile Device

Instagram _elgringoloco_

'70 Short-Wide How to: Ruin a perfectly good C10
‘70 Blazer ConversionHow To: Ruin a Perfectly Good 4wd
'72 Highlander How To: Ruin a Perfectly Good K/5 (SOLD)
'72 Blazer 2WD How to: Ruin a perfectly good Blazer (SOLD)
'05 Yukon Daily Driven (not so stock) Yukon (SOLD)
‘07 Yukon Denali (daily)

Members met list: SCOTI, darkhorse970, 67cheby, 67cheby'sGirl, klmore, porterbuilt, n2billet, Fastrucken, classicchev, Col Clank, GSFMECH, HuggerCST, Spray-Bomb, BACKYARD88, 5150, fine69, fatbass, smbrouss70, 65StreetCruiser, GAc10boy
gringoloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 11:10 PM   #1485
fatgump

I installed the Nolimit wideride which is going to allow me to run 20×10 , same bs, with 285x40x20 on all four.
fatgump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 07:19 AM   #1486
derrickmanx1

I got the normal 2.5 cpp drop spindles I think 1.5" wider. I just want to run 18x9.5 w/5.25 bs on all four.
Old 12-04-2012, 01:00 PM   #1487
robnolimit

OK, this is probably out there some where. Is there a chart of wheel size and back space for these trucks? I have some info on our suspension set ups, but it would be good to have a chart we all could use. If not, start posting up what your running and I'll sort it out.

Old 12-04-2012, 02:41 PM   #1488
jimmydean

Rob, I am fighting with the wheel options myself. I am running a 9C1 rear that measures about 62" wide. The wheels I want to run are 18x7.5 with +51mm offset.

So for my truck:
62" wide axle + 2" of wheel + 1" of tire (max) per side would be a 68" rear end that looks like it will tuck without cutting the fenders at 72" of space.
Dropmember front
Dropmember rear
Corvette discs
Restored raised bed

Old 12-06-2012, 08:22 AM   #1489
jjzepplin

OK. So I switched the upper control arms and did the lower control arm move it forward thing about 3/4" . So far so good but the upper ball joint seems to be close to binding. Is this just because the body is not on the frame yet? 73 heavy duty front end. Should I put more spacers on the rear upper control arm until I can get it aligned?
jjzepplin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 03:28 PM   #1490
C0UCH

I'll be tearing apart my truck next week, finally. I have a 67 shortbed, but it looks to be built on a newer chassis. Has discs up front, power steering (frame is formed for the PS which is why I'm thinking it isn't a 67 chassis), 5 lugs front and rear. Doesn't really look to be a major parts swap, more of a front end and cab swap if anything, if any of this makes a difference for suspension/wheels.

Anyways, I'm looking to install the Hotchkis TVS and bigger brakes (haven't decided which yet but I'll be going disc front and rear) and run it on a set of Bassett D-Hole wheels. For the wheels/tires, unless you guys advise against for any reason, I'd like to keep all four the same and go 15x10 (unless it won't clear) with as much rubber stuffed in there as possible.

Given that info, I now need to calculate the ever troublesome backspacing. With that wide of a wheel/tire and that suspension I'm assuming I may run into some rubbing issues if the backspacing isn't dead on. I can pull the wheels off and measure the rearend width, but the Hotchkis widens the front by 1.8" What would be the most efficient way of figuring all this out? Backspacing, making sure I have enough clearance/etc. I'll need to order the wheels since I can't find them locally, so I'd rather not order and find out they don't fit and start over.

For the front spindles, will the TVS 4/6" drop sit the truck level or will it need the 2" drop spindles to drop the front end level with the rear? I want it as low as possible but again, don't want to run into rubbing issues with the tires and I want to keep it level.

Tires, this may sound like a silly question but Goodyear Eagle G-23 (or similar) tires. Will a tire like this drive well on the street? As terrible as it sounds, the massive yellow Goodyear Eagle logos are primarily what I'm after to be completely honest.
http://www.racegoodyear.com/tires/short_track.html

Long list of questions and a bit scattered, I know, but any advice/help would be greatly appreciated, and will help narrow things down. I drive this truck daily and often push it fairly hard. Figure with the upgraded suspension/brakes/wheels/tires I'll be driving the snot out of her!
C0UCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 03:36 PM   #1491
skorpioskorpio

Don't know about those specifically but racing tires tend to have a life expectancy on the street of not dramatically more than they do on the track, and most track tires have a life expectance on the track of a couple hours or a couple hundred miles.
skorpioskorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 03:42 PM   #1492
C0UCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by skorpioskorpio View Post
Don't know about those specifically but racing tires tend to have a life expectancy on the street of not dramatically more than they do on the track, and most track tires have a life expectance on the track of a couple hours or a couple hundred miles.
Thats what I figured. Considering I'll be painting the truck a creamy high gloss tan, the yellow may not work well anyways. Just been meaning to ask about them for a while. Figured I'd get it out of the way with the rest of the questions.

Thanks!
Old 12-06-2012, 04:01 PM   #1493
theastronaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by C0UCH View Post
Thats what I figured. Considering I'll be painting the truck a creamy high gloss tan, the yellow may not work well anyways. Just been meaning to ask about them for a while. Figured I'd get it out of the way with the rest of the questions.

Thanks!
Don't race tires need heat in them to make them stick? That reason alone would probably make them a bad idea on the street. 15" wheels will limit the brake size alot too. If you want wheels that are similar to the ones you posted, Cragar soft 8's are available in 17's which would give you more brake options. Leave the cap off and paint a pinstripe around the edge and they would look very close.

Old 12-06-2012, 09:58 PM   #1494
bdiamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by C0UCH View Post

but the Hotchkis widens the front by 1.8"
I was under the impression that the Hotchkis stuff extended the wheelbase 1.8" .
bdiamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 10:04 PM   #1495
bo-w

so I am in the midst of a front disk swap on my 66, and founf that the po heated the spring un-evenly so its rolled over in a spot, leaving me to buy new springs front and rear, im going with 2.5" drop spindles and cross member from an 85 im thinking 2" drop springs(front)4-5"drop rear not trying to notch it though , however im questioning weather to go with an off the shelf (cpp, etc) spring or if there is maybe a a decent progressive rate or stiffer/softer spring package .Any input would be great, truck is a 66 short fleet with a small block and will get an 85 stock front sway bar may be some stock rear if i can fit one without welding much . its not necessarily a track truck just a fun driver. thanks a bunch
bo-w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:10 PM   #1496
C0UCH

Red face Re: Make it handle

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdiamond View Post
I was under the impression that the Hotchkis stuff extended the wheelbase 1.8" .
I must have read it incorrectly or there was incorrect info somewhere. Just checked the Hotchkis site and its the wheelbase. My mistake. Thanks for pointing that out!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-08-2012, 06:18 PM   #1497
theastronaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by theastronaut View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by undr8ed View Post
My $.02 on the adjustable bag mounts is it would be overkill. (Not that I'm not a fan of overkill!)

+/- ~1.5" from the bag's normal height (no pressure) is where the best ride will be. This depends on the bag, pressure, mount angle, etc. and I've also found no matter where I've put the sweet spot, I'm always driving just on the very bottom of that, lol

I would think air bag load rates and pressures you want to run would be more important.......
That something else I've wondered about- how does the bag size and design (bellows vs rolling sleeve) affect handling? I remember it being mentioned that bags naturally have a progressive rate; would smaller bags have a quicker rise in rate vs larger bags? If so, wouldn't smaller bags resist body roll more? I've already bought D2600 bags for my '66 since I will be towing occasionally but I've never thought about how well they'll work for auto X until lately. Maybe they'll be fine for a soft spring/big sway bar set up?
Bump for input on this?
Old 12-09-2012, 12:15 PM   #1498
DM Garage

If we only had one of these to play with every time we go to make a change!
Attached Images

DM Garage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 12:59 PM   #1499
robnolimit

Too cool. Is that from PRI? So, caster, camber toe and bumpsteer all at once, and scales?, and is it active? - can you raise and lower the suspension?

Old 12-10-2012, 05:58 PM   #1500
DM Garage

It was at the IMIS Show(soon to be PRI) last week! It was super cool, I tried to get more screen pics but they didn't come out good. Yes it has scales on all four wheels and you can pull down or raise up and watch the load vs. travel change along with bump steer, camber curve and several other options. I was so geeked out over it that it took a couple minutes for me to realize I was standing next to Brad Keslowski!
Attached Images

DM Garage is offline   Reply With Quote