The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-23-2022, 07:49 PM   #1
HwyStarJoe

To sway bar, or not?

This is the first air bagged vehicle I've owned. '69 C10 Stepper.
2" drop spindles in front, mini C-notch rear.
Picture of rear (best pic I can get right now) at full drop.

I was thinking of installing front/rear sway bars. I haven't driven it much because I bought it when winter started. I don't know how much it leans or if it under steers yet. I drive it with the bags all the way down or very close to it.
Are they even necessary if I'm not auto-crossing or taking the exit ramps at 70? I don't see very much mention of sway bars on bagged suspensions doing a forum search.

Thanks
Attached Images

Last edited by HwyStarJoe; 02-23-2022 at 07:55 PM.
HwyStarJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2022, 08:05 PM   #2
The Rocknrod

Re: To sway bar, or not?

I wouldn't spend the bucks unless after driving a while you feel you need it.
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2022, 09:57 PM   #3
LS short box

That shock angle seems extreme. On my 68 C10 I ran a fairly large aftermarket front sway bar. No rear sway bar. It went around corners just fine.
LS short box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2022, 10:49 PM   #4
HwyStarJoe

Yeah, I'm gonna have to spend some time with it to decide whether they're necessary. I figure bagged trucks like this aren't meant to be driven like my last project. ��

As far as the shocks, they sure look useless at this ride level. When I can get back on it I'm going to research what my options are there. Besides being pretty old, I'm sure there's gotta be a better setup as far as location.
Old 02-23-2022, 10:54 PM   #5
Sovereign

I'm not bagged but I started without sway bars entirely. The truck drove fine but I had to take corners slower than I liked and the truck leaned much more than I would have wanted. I put Ride Tech's sway bar on the front. It helped tremendously. The truck drives like you'd expect a more modern vehicle to drive when going around corners. I'm just a slow street truck but I'd highly recommend a bar on the front.

Regarding the install, I did have to alter the mounting location on their frame bracket and the lower control arms since it's designed for a truck not as low as mine. I wanted the end links to be more vertical at ride height. You may need to keep this in mind with whatever bar you go with if any at all.
Sovereign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2022, 10:58 PM   #6
SCOTI

Sway bars are only required if you feel the ride is too 'loose'. The front usually benefits from a bar by keeping the roll minimized. The rear is much more subjective. Some will swear to the their benefit. Me? Not so much unless there are circumstances beyond normal driving that warrant extra control.

Definitely re-work the rear shock angles. Tweak the stock mounts or get something aftermarket to help stand them up so they actually do something for the suspension.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2022, 11:39 AM   #7
68 P.O.S.

I added front and rear sway bars to my long bed. It came with no front bar, so going to 2 bars was pretty dramatic. So driving it, it handles well and stays nice and flat during turns, instead of almost scraping the door handles on the ground. I have the crappy KYB shocks on it at the moment, so it kinda floats down the road like a Cadillac Overall, I think I would add a rear sway bar again. I highly suggest you get a front sway bar.

For the rear shocks, you need a shock re-locator kit. This one from No Limit moves the shock to the outside of the frame, providing a bit more stability. It might be enough that you won't want a rear sway bar. https://nolimit.net/store/Dropped-Sh...unts-p26244502

Last edited by 68 P.O.S.; 02-24-2022 at 04:43 PM.
68 P.O.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2022, 05:20 PM   #8
HwyStarJoe

Thanks
Yeah, I'm looking into the shock relocation for sure. Just need to pick shocks.
I guess I'm more concerned with a front sway bar. That's an easy and smart upgrade.
Old 02-24-2022, 08:12 PM   #9
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by HwyStarJoe View Post
Thanks
Yeah, I'm looking into the shock relocation for sure. Just need to pick shocks.
I guess I'm more concerned with a front sway bar. That's an easy and smart upgrade.
Definitely.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Old 03-01-2022, 09:54 AM   #10
HwyStarJoe

Back to the rear shocks extreme angle...

Once the shock relocation brackets are done, do I still need to change the shock specs? Or will a stock length shock still work?
If not I know I just need to get the full lift/full drop measurements to pick the correct shocks.
Thanks
Old 03-01-2022, 11:18 AM   #11
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by HwyStarJoe View Post
Back to the rear shocks extreme angle...

Once the shock relocation brackets are done, do I still need to change the shock specs? Or will a stock length shock still work?
If not I know I just need to get the full lift/full drop measurements to pick the correct shocks.
Thanks
Depends on the approach. Making your own brackets means you can build them w/the stock shocks measurements in mind.

Buying aftermarket? You'll need to compare measurements (fully compressed; ride height; fully extended) of the upper & lower brackets once installed vs. the same measurements of a stock shock.

Something to keep in mind:
The stock rear shocks are pretty short though as is. It might be a struggle to find something shorter that works (is valved) correctly for the application.

Stock shock relocation ideas:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=451200
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ation+brackets
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Last edited by SCOTI; 03-01-2022 at 11:26 AM.
Old 03-01-2022, 11:24 AM   #12
68 P.O.S.

Lots of vendors sell drop shocks. As you said, I would compare your measurements to the shocks out there and see which would work best for you. I believe the stock shocks would work in the interim, but probably not the best.
Old 03-01-2022, 11:43 AM   #13
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 P.O.S. View Post
Lots of vendors sell drop shocks. As you said, I would compare your measurements to the shocks out there and see which would work best for you. I believe the stock shocks would work in the interim, but probably not the best.
True.

But.... A longer shock stroke usually will yield a better ride quality since it doesn't infringe on the limits (full extension or full compression) within the suspension travel.

It is easier to go w/a shorter shock when you can find one. If that's the better choice is subjective. I try to keep them OE length & move the mounts if possible but will use shocks for a different application if the travel numbers are within my needed range (I use G-body rear shocks on OBS trucks dropped w/a flip kit +shackles).
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 03-01-2022, 12:17 PM   #14
HwyStarJoe

Great info fellers...
I'll keep this all in mind. Appreciate it.
I plan to just buy a relocation kit so I'll use their recommendations or installed specs to find the best fit.
Old 03-02-2022, 01:08 AM   #15
theastronaut

The posts by Frizzle Fry in this thread has info on relocating the rear shocks using the stock brackets, but flipped side to side. I've done it this way on two trucks so far and it makes a huge difference in how they ride and drive. I'm about to do it on my new '66 too.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...05&post4730005

I installed a front and rear sway bar on my old '66 along with relocated shocks front and rear. It had less body roll than my autocross car but rode better than my dad's completely stock '66.
theastronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 07:00 AM   #16
HwyStarJoe

Thank you