The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Paint & Bodywork

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-27-2012, 03:13 PM   #1
theastronaut

Trying Out Homemade Lizard Skin- $10 Per Gallon

I've used Lizard Skin before, both their Sound Control and Ceramic Insulation (for heat) coatings, sprayed with their gun. I really like the spray on approach vs peel and stick deadeners (dynomat) since it adheres to the surface better and is waterproof- there's no way moisture can get underneath the coating. I've seen threads about making homemade Lizard Skin from latex paint and Micro Ceramic Air Balloons and always wanted to try it. I bought a gallon of latex paint from Lowe's mistake rack for $5.00 bucks and the micro air balloons came from Wick's Aircraft & Motorsports. Wicks's has a $15 minimum order so I had to get two gallons of air balloons, at a cost of ~$30 shipped, or $15/gallon. I slowly mixed the air balloons into the paint, trying to get the same thickness as the Lizard Skin I'd used before. It took a whole gallon of the air balloons to get the right thickness. I've only sprayed the first coat so far, waiting for it to dry and will spray another coat or two. I'll report back once it dries. I took a decibel reading with my Iphone by knocking on the panel with my knuckles, which was right around 85 decibels. I'll try the knock test again once it dries and see if there is any difference.

$5.00 latex from Lowe's, not a bad color either. It'll be under a floor mat so the color wasn't too important.

The micro balloons. This stuff is about the consistancy of baby powder. I wouldn't suggest driving around with this in your car for long. Wear a mask when mixing this stuf as it's dusty and could harm your lungs.

Mixed together, one gallon paint and one gallon of micro balloons. Different paint will probably need to be mixed in different amounts.

One coat sprayed. It sprays pretty much like Lizard Skin does, though I may have had it slightly too thick. The first coat doesn't usually lay out great anyways though.

Last edited by theastronaut; 02-27-2012 at 04:16 PM.
theastronaut is offline   Reply With Quote