The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-12-2011, 03:07 PM   #11
swamp rat

Re: Fuel filler options

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critter View Post
I've pondered on this as well. I like the taillight idea and especially the marker light idea but it looks pretty cumbersome trying to get the pump nozzle in there. I've never seen it done in person so maybe I am wrong. At this point I am leaning towards grafting in a fuel door. I think everyone I have seen is a square door, I am considering using an 88-98 style truck filler which is round. I think it might go better with the body lines, not sure though...

Heres a random pic for reference.
I have read that if you go to a gas pump that requires the fume nozzle to be compressed to activate the pump handle it can be a pita to fill a side marker light filler.

I have seen a few round doors here on the forum that were from an S-10, thats what i got from the junk yard, that and a 1 1/2" filler neck as they also have a 1" one that i read to stay away from for slow filling reasons.

I have not installed the door yet but hope to soon, you will need to make a tunnel that goes on the inside of the bed and wall to allow for the filler neck to pass at a decent angle but if ya plan it right it will be a pretty small tunnel, you may also want to modify the filler neck to lessen the angle.

Swamp Rat build thread :
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=595019

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's

Last edited by swamp rat; 01-12-2011 at 03:08 PM.
swamp rat is offline   Reply With Quote