The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-10-2017, 10:56 PM   #1
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Win some, lose some, 72 door panels

Nine months ago I bought a 72 with thoughts it being a donor and part out truck First thing I did was pull the door panels. Word was they were the "deal of the week". Heck, I didn't know what I was doing, but before they left the door I can say I wasn't a happy camper. I said I'd sell them, and sell them I did.

Before I pulled anything else the truck grew on me. So I declared it a driver, and since then have kicked myself for having a panel-less truck. LOSE SOME.

Then I opened a box today, and the price was at nearly a wash.....They don't have the inserts, but those can be added, and I don't see that in any near future anyway. But........how about that grain? Word is these came off a rust bucket that's been sitting 20 years. WIN SOME.

71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s of OEM identifications and part numbers, all written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 11:08 PM   #2
Grumpy old man

Re: Win some, lose some, 72 door panels

I know where a set of inner panels and trim in nice condition are hidden in an old junk yard ,I found them in a parts truck and stashed them away I'll have to check and see if they are still hidden away , I hid a 64 posi rear at the same closed down junk yard .
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 11:45 PM   #3
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy old man View Post
I know where a set of inner panels and trim in nice condition are hidden in an old junk yard ,I found them in a parts truck and stashed them away I'll have to check and see if they are still hidden away , I hid a 64 posi rear at the same closed down junk yard .
Ha ha Grumpy. I may be interested, nice gesture. As it sits these panels are far and away better than anything interior on my driver. Less the visors anyway. Including some rust through the ceiling.

Supposed to be concentrating me efforts/resources on the project truck.
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s of OEM identifications and part numbers, all written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
Old 05-11-2017, 01:47 AM   #4
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

On topic, anyone advise on replacement armrests? I see there's a run on the RH & LH sides not matching in color, for blue. Thank you.
Old 05-11-2017, 02:50 AM   #5
toolboxchev

Thats an awesome story, diggin the ending!
toolboxchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 06:50 AM   #6
notsolo

Research SEM plastic coating, It is 1 of the options. Color match, that may need to be a custom mixed for an exact match....Classic Parts has the Wood grain inserts like original / no chrome trim....$219.00 pr.
notsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 11:07 AM   #7
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
Originally Posted by notsolo View Post
Research SEM plastic coating, It is 1 of the options. Color match, that may need to be a custom mixed for an exact match....Classic Parts has the Wood grain inserts like original / no chrome trim....$219.00 pr.
Go figure the chrome trim for "lose some" were the pieces that were perfect. But I'm ecstatic about these new panels. They're faded, but they look awesome. Couldn't have been much activity where they came from. There are 4-5 blemishes in the grain, and all minor.
Old 05-11-2017, 12:43 PM   #8
Hart_Rod

Just had these restored...
Attached Images

Hart_Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 12:45 AM   #9
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
Originally Posted by hart_rod View Post
just had these restored...
outstanding
Old 05-13-2017, 11:46 PM   #10
rkeller411

Where did you get restored? I have some panels need to be deleted done
rkeller411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 05:53 AM   #11
special-K
Special Order

I just picked up a really nice set of blue '72 scroll panels, but someone had installed 6 1/2" speakers under the arm rest area. I figured the trim was worth something to me. Then it hit me, dye these saddle, and run them in my K2500 along with a stereo! I would never do that to the panels, but what's done is done. I'll set my good ones to the side and enjoy the tunes till the truck gets restored. I hang on to the '72 panels since there are no reproductions.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 10:30 AM   #12
Hart_Rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkeller411 View Post
Where did you get restored? I have some panels need to be deleted done
A guy in Abilene, Tx redid them. Gary Terry is his name, his company is CSM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
I just picked up a really nice set of blue '72 scroll panels, but someone had installed 6 1/2" speakers under the arm rest area. I figured the trim was worth something to me. Then it hit me, dye these saddle, and run them in my K2500 along with a stereo! I would never do that to the panels, but what's done is done. I'll set my good ones to the side and enjoy the tunes till the truck gets restored. I hang on to the '72 panels since there are no reproductions.
Special-K - there are reproductions for the front doors (none for the rear), but I'm not sure what the quality and fit are.
Old 05-14-2017, 05:13 PM   #13
special-K
Special Order

I meant the door panels aren't reproduced. Is that what you meant or did you mean the woodgrain inserts? I'm not running the woodgrain in my '72. I like the Sierra/Cheyennes with matching seat and door panels (scroll). Now, one day when I restore the truck I have all the woodgrain to make it a Sierra Grande if I want. Jerry Brown was doing really nice instrument cluster/glovebox applique combos and I still have one more pair of N.O.S. door inserts on ice. BTW, and a big BTW, your interior work looks awesome. I'm actually running a Saddle bench seat cover I bought from Gary in '91 along with a restored to custom Saddle color tilt column he restored that I bought at the same time. I had them in my '71 Custom Camper (Cheyenne). Oh, also the woodgrain dash bezel re-plated, tach dash, and chrome glovebox door with woodgrain from him back then. He's truly a veteran craftsman with these trucks. Sad to see Jerry out of it.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 08:57 AM   #14
Hart_Rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
I meant the door panels aren't reproduced. Is that what you meant or did you mean the woodgrain inserts? I'm not running the woodgrain in my '72. I like the Sierra/Cheyennes with matching seat and door panels (scroll). Now, one day when I restore the truck I have all the woodgrain to make it a Sierra Grande if I want. Jerry Brown was doing really nice instrument cluster/glovebox applique combos and I still have one more pair of N.O.S. door inserts on ice. BTW, and a big BTW, your interior work looks awesome. I'm actually running a Saddle bench seat cover I bought from Gary in '91 along with a restored to custom Saddle color tilt column he restored that I bought at the same time. I had them in my '71 Custom Camper (Cheyenne). Oh, also the woodgrain dash bezel re-plated, tach dash, and chrome glovebox door with woodgrain from him back then. He's truly a veteran craftsman with these trucks. Sad to see Jerry out of it.
Thanks! Hope it all comes together like I have planned it, . I'm not sure how long they have been reproducing them or what quality they are, but LMC lists them in their catalog:

http://www.lmctruck.com/features/cb/cbc92.htm

http://www.lmctruck.com/features/cb/CBC96.htm