The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-23-2014, 02:23 AM   #1
Andy4639
Old member

Question Another Question

Would buying HP tuners be worth it for just a guy who wants to see what his truck is doing and not doing? I like the idea of being able to look at the data and changing stuff to see how it does. I just don't see it being that big of a help for a truck on the street. Once it's setup that's all I would want to do with it. I guess if I was going to be on the dragstrip on weekends maybe. I guess to if I change the cam and such it will need another tune also.

I've been thinking about buying it and having it just for my truck maybe my 08Tahoe. Would it be worth the $500.00 to have it.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 02:37 AM   #2
truckdude239

Re: Another Question

Not really cause youd have to buy 2 licenses talking 1000 to 1500 buxs and if you dont know what your doing can really mess stuff up.

Just my honest opinion

1971 Chevy c-10 under going a 4.8l LSx swap

Build Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=421305

2007 Honda Accord my daily 145kmiles
2002 Honda Accord 4 door With 330k(sisters car)
2005 toyota Avalon 228k( brothers car)
2002 Sububran 5.3 245k
2000 Tahoe 5.3l 378

General manager for Marco's Carwash & lube
truckdude239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 04:22 AM   #3
Andy4639
Old member

Lightbulb Re: Another Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckdude239 View Post
Not really cause youd have to buy 2 licenses talking 1000 to 1500 buxs and if you dont know what your doing can really mess stuff up.

Just my honest opinion
I was looking on HP tunners website and thought for the $500.00 it was good for 2 vehicles. I may have looked at it wrong though. For that kind of dough it want be bought for sure.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Old 11-23-2014, 11:11 AM   #4
Hart_Rod

You get 8 credits when you buy HPTuners Pro ($649). It requires 2 credits/VIN that you license (good for 4 car tunes). After you license the tune, you can change it as many times as you would like. Each additional credit you buy is $50/credit. With that being said, if you are only buying it to monitor what your engine/transmission is doing, there are probably cheaper ways to do it.
Hart_Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 05:48 PM   #5
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Odd vehicles and the use of any Custom OS's takes extra credits, I'll throw it out there.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 05:59 PM   #6
Andy4639
Old member

Question Re: Another Question

I thought for the $499 I got enough to do 2 vehicles. What I read is once I buy it I can do as many reflashes as I want to these two vehicles. I can view as many as I want for free. Is this not right.

http://www.hptuners.com/order.php

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

Old 11-23-2014, 10:49 PM   #7
clinebarger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy4639 View Post
I thought for the $499 I got enough to do 2 vehicles. What I read is once I buy it I can do as many reflashes as I want to these two vehicles. I can view as many as I want for free. Is this not right.
The standard & Pro comes with 8 credits. Generally each vehicles takes 2 credits. From the website "Yes, both the Standard & Pro Version come with 8 credits."

I bought HP Tuners to turn off the EGR on my Duramax, After getting quoted some outrageous amounts to get it done with EFI Live & Have some A$$-Hat lock my ECM. The Scanner is not worth a crap on my Diesel, But works very well on gas stuff....But I don't use it because I have a GM Tech II.

Always save your tunes to separate files before making changes! That way, If you make mistakes...You can start all over.
clinebarger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 01:56 AM   #8
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by clinebarger View Post
Always save your tunes to separate files before making changes! That way, If you make mistakes...You can start all over.
THIS. You should see my guys latop file structure...its an OCD dream. He does time-incremental saves during each session, then puts them in master folders etc etc. Its really impressive to see him navigate probably 2-3k files for 5-600 tunes.

Old 11-24-2014, 11:40 AM   #9
e015475

Wish I had HPTuner and knew how to use it - so I could "change things and see what happens" too, but without a lot of tuning 'cycles of learning' I'm spooked I'd screw something up - I'll continue to support my local tuner and not buy HPTuners

But if you just want to see what's going on, read codes and reset them, you can buy the ELM 327 chip in a cable that connects to your OBD2 port and a laptop USB. Scantool.net sells the software to display the diagnostics. I think you can buy the cable and the software for about $25 and it works on multiple vehicles. You can get real-time fuel trims, throttle angles, engine temps, speed, rpm and a bunch of other parameters too. Has some data logging features too. I found it a little fussy to set up, but it was fun watching what the engine was doing during normal driving cycles.
e015475 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 01:30 PM   #10
Custom 68

I have it and have the pro version. I wanted to easily hook up my wide band. My tuner offered lots of free tunes for me as I swapped things around however I always had to pay shipping back and forth. Plus my computer was somewhat burried so it was tough to get to. I bought it thru him and he sent me a new pcm unlocked and we could e-mail tunes back and forth.
It became necessary for me when I went turbo, it became tough to get it just right thru the mail. It did cost me extra credits since I went to a 2 bar tune. Anyway with the version like said you can really do 3 vehicles with it. I was able to tune my buddies and get his stuff turned off when he did the swap he kicked in for the credits plus a bit to help. It is fun and you will spend tons of time researching. I tuned my tahoe It helped as it runs great but I was hoping for better MPG but didnt help.
"A good friend will bail you out of jail...but a true friend will be sitting next to you saying "that was frekin awesome".
"If it doesn't fit force it...If it breaks then it needed to be replaced anyway!"
Custom 68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 02:23 PM   #11
Hart_Rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Custom 68 View Post
I have it and have the pro version. I wanted to easily hook up my wide band. My tuner offered lots of free tunes for me as I swapped things around however I always had to pay shipping back and forth. Plus my computer was somewhat burried so it was tough to get to. I bought it thru him and he sent me a new pcm unlocked and we could e-mail tunes back and forth.
It became necessary for me when I went turbo, it became tough to get it just right thru the mail. It did cost me extra credits since I went to a 2 bar tune. Anyway with the version like said you can really do 3 vehicles with it. I was able to tune my buddies and get his stuff turned off when he did the swap he kicked in for the credits plus a bit to help. It is fun and you will spend tons of time researching. I tuned my tahoe It helped as it runs great but I was hoping for better MPG but didnt help.
Hey Dave. I know it's too late for you, but HPTuners allows you update to a custom OS for free now....
Old 11-24-2014, 03:48 PM   #12
Custom 68

thanks Rob, I am sure this wont be my last one... It was a little confusing at the time when I did the upgrade. It also got me real time tuning, I have yet to do this...
"A good friend will bail you out of jail...but a true friend will be sitting next to you saying "that was frekin awesome".
"If it doesn't fit force it...If it breaks then it needed to be replaced anyway!"
Custom 68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 07:18 PM   #13
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hart_Rod View Post
Hey Dave. I know it's too late for you, but HPTuners allows you update to a custom OS for free now....
When? That sh!t cost me an extra credit or two 6 months ago. Does that still include the upgrade to 3bar if you want it?

Old 11-24-2014, 10:16 PM   #14
Hart_Rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR3W CITY View Post
When? That sh!t cost me an extra credit or two 6 months ago. Does that still include the upgrade to 3bar if you want it?
J, this just happend in the last month or so. As far as I know this applies to all custom OS's. You also can now do your own transmission segment swaps, instead of having to get the HP customer support to do it. They are also working on incorporating a new tool that will allow you to do the Gen IV VE tables....
Old 11-25-2014, 02:07 AM   #15
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Quote:
J, this just happend in the last month or so. As far as I know this applies to all custom OS's. You also can now do your own transmission segment swaps, instead of having to get the HP customer support to do it. They are also working on incorporating a new tool that will allow you to do the Gen IV VE tables....
Again, I feel like I'm on another planet...we never had to call customer support for trans segments. I'm well aware I get to use "non release" versions of HPt, but I don't recall any of this stuff happening. Maybe I'm just really really jaded, but I guess I never noticed that we couldn't do ve tables on the Gen IV motors.

edit: we were using a stand alone on gen iv and not a GM ecm, NVM.

Last edited by BR3W CITY; 11-26-2014 at 12:59 AM.
Old 11-25-2014, 02:11 PM   #16
boostedc10

Quote:
The segment swap feature in 2.25 is so nice to have. I hope they move it along with the Gen IV VE's though!

Instagram: DRVFSTR

Current Project: Beatrix - 1967 SWB LQ4/78mm Turbo/4L80e/ on bags

Build thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=634691
boostedc10 is offline   Reply With Quote