The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-24-2024, 07:50 AM   #29
6DoF

Re: Project: Tow-Rat (Lil' Blue)

ok, so reality. first drive went REALLY well.

did a little around the block and some quick back n forth while the wife was at home on-call to get me if issues ... then grabbed her and we drove right out to town for bolts. the idea was back roads out to tractor supply and back. well, they didn't have what i needed, things were going well, so WTH n down the road to ACE. they had what i needed and ended up with about a 23mile loop.

it rides good for no adjusting yet, brakes are awesome, clutch is nice, shifts smooth, runs strong, makes all kinds of turbo noises even at next to no throttle, shockingly quite to drive, the air suspension has stopped leaking after the drive even! the looks i got were fun, we'll say it catches some attention.

engine needs more gauges and a good bit of tuning. won't idle below 1000, has a haze at idle, and won't start without a throttle blip. i'm pretty sure the governor springs are set wrong, and i just needs lots of time turning screws. the big issue is that i'm 98% sure if i go full send, i'll YEET the head gasket. so i'm trying to be careful!

steering is a touch stiff, but less notching while driving than i thought it would be moving around the yard. i'll still want to adjust angles one day, but good enough for now. speedo isn't showing, hopefully just need to re-sink the gps module to the dash, S475 turbo drain is leaking oil, and the breather is NOT enough and started blowing oil. much more breathers need added.

Last edited by 6DoF; 05-24-2024 at 08:03 AM.
6DoF is offline   Reply With Quote