The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board > 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans and PanelsProjects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-09-2011, 09:23 PM   #51
Flint70step

Re: Project Patina Azul

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbassin View Post
I have heard a lot of good about Howell. I wonder how much they charge for an LS3 harness?

Nice work on the exhaust. Sorry to hear about the little bugs, I'm sure you will get that all worked out soon.
The quality of the Howell harness is top notch.The only issue was me being afraid of the wiring into the Burb circuits.I hope the bugs go away,I ran the motor while it was in the van just before I extracted it.

72 Custom Deluxe Burb(Arizona truck)Nice interior
Great patina

Project Patina Azul http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=467668
Flint70step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 09:25 PM   #52
Flint70step

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapperjack View Post
Re-mapping....not sure. Last re-mapping I know of was the Louisianna purchase in 1800 and something. Cool looking truck though, can't wait to see it in action.
Ha ha Thanks for the compliment Jack....you'll get to see it action soon enough.I plan on taking it out to your house to get some pics next to your panel

Great patina

Old 09-14-2011, 09:09 AM   #53
Hart_Rod

Nice progress!
Hart_Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 12:36 AM   #54
1972hays

wow nice burb yah thats helps a lot thanks
Old 09-25-2011, 09:13 PM   #55
Flint70step

Bad news yall.......the engine I worked so hard to get into the Burb is crap.The oil looked like peanut butter and had a lot of water in it.A friend of mine who has a tow service had a 93 TBI motor listed on CL and I called him and struck a deal.I drained the oil out of the van motor at 8 this morning,saw the state of it and had the other replacement motor out by 11:30am.

This motor was well cared for.the oil looked great and had an oil change documentation from new.The PO of the truck was heart broken when it got totaled.It has 186k on the motor which is a far cry better than the 263k on the van motor!

On another note I got my drive shaft shorted and got it in the Burb so thats another thing off the list

Most of this engine swap is going to be plug n play as they are the same engine.I'm going to do my best to do this as fast as possible while doing a good job.I want my Burb on the road so bad it hurts

Great patina

Old 09-27-2011, 03:40 PM   #56
1sik7t2
dave

been there done that......tick tock

good luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint70step View Post
Bad news yall.......the engine I worked so hard to get into the Burb is crap.The oil looked like peanut butter and had a lot of water in it.A friend of mine who has a tow service had a 93 TBI motor listed on CL and I called him and struck a deal.I drained the oil out of the van motor at 8 this morning,saw the state of it and had the other replacement motor out by 11:30am.

This motor was well cared for.the oil looked great and had an oil change documentation from new.The PO of the truck was heart broken when it got totaled.It has 186k on the motor which is a far cry better than the 263k on the van motor!

On another note I got my drive shaft shorted and got it in the Burb so thats another thing off the list

Most of this engine swap is going to be plug n play as they are the same engine.I'm going to do my best to do this as fast as possible while doing a good job.I want my Burb on the road so bad it hurts
Old 09-27-2011, 04:16 PM   #57
mcbassin
Still Learning

Well, sorry to hear about the first motor not working out. These motors are known to go well over 300K miles. I know of several my friends that have them. I have a 99 burb with 225k and it still runs perfect and doesn't burn oil or leak. Great design compared to the non roller engines.
mcbassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 09:03 PM   #58
Flint70step

Good news this time.I got the old van motor out on Saturday.Then I switched over some parts(exhaust manifolds,starter,dizzy,so on)and had the"new" motor in on Sunday.I have not had much time after work this week to get things buttoned up.Today I did get the last two bell housing bolts in,torque conv.bolts,fuel lines and a few other small things to get me that much closer.I'm going to do my best to find some time this weekend to get the rest done and fire this baby up.The suspense is making me sic.All I can think about lately.almost there

Great patina

Old 10-09-2011, 10:59 AM   #59
Flint70step

I got a lot of work done on the Burb yesterday.Everything on the undersid is done including relocating the trans cross member for the 4L80E and drilling a new hole for the trans mount.The newly cut down and balanced aluminum drive shaft installed,exhaust hooked up,trans fill tube for truck(instead of long ass van tube) located/bought and installed.I also switched over some sensors and hooked up the wiring harness nice and neat.It has been raining all morning so me and the boy have been playing together looking outside at the burb waitng for a break in the weather.I dont have much left to do now.I need to run the plug wires.hook up the alt. ,power steering and install the front clip.Then hook up the wire for the lock-up converter to my brake light switch.I WILL BE DRIVING THE BURB THIS WEEK AND NOTHING WILL STOP ME!!!I'll keep yall posted.wish me luck

Great patina

Old 10-09-2011, 11:49 AM   #60
gcburdic
Restoration Virgin!

You're getting all so close....I understand the excitement to get her driving

1972 Custom Deluxe C20 Suburban A Suburban Named Isabella

1966 Ford Mustang Mama's High School Graduation Present
gcburdic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 12:19 PM   #61
mcbassin
Still Learning

Nice work on the engine swap. Sounds to me like you have all your ducks in a row
Old 10-09-2011, 07:02 PM   #62
Flint70step

IT'S ALIVE!!!! Got her running about an hour ago!Hooked everything up then disconnected the dizzy lead to turn it over till I got oil pressure.Then reconnected the dizzy lead and she fired right up smooth as a baby's bottom!Thank you all for the kind words and encouragement,I certainly needed it.I need to get a new throttle cable as the one from the donor truck was trashed.Also need to figure out why I have no power to the brake light switch or brake lights/running lights in the rear.Once I have that figured out then I can hook up my lock-up wire for the trans.It's been a long day of busting knuckles and a lot of swearing but well worth the trouble.I know I will be driving my baby this week.Thanks again to everyone for the support.Lots more to come,yall stay tuned and keep the feedback coming because I feed on it to stay motivated in tough times.Yall be good

Great patina

Old 10-15-2011, 02:45 PM   #63
Flint70step

WOOOO HOOO I just drove the Burb around the block a few times!!!There are a few more issues to deal with but I will knock those out in short order.The power steering pump is spewing fluid outta the front where the pulley shaft goes into the housing.I've already located another and will be going to get it soon.I still have no power getting to my brake lights.Need to get this one figured out quick so I can hook up the wire for the lock-up converter.Good points:the power steering box works well when fluid is in the pump,the brake booster works well,everything else electrically works(even the ciggy lighter) and the motor was very responsive and felt very strong and well taken care of.I got the Burb registered in my name this week.The nice lady at the title office even found me a plate that has 72 at the endJust goes to show please and thank you go a long wayStill a few more things to work out but I'm well on my way to enjoying my Burb on the road.Its a good feeling

Great patina

Old 10-19-2011, 09:11 AM   #64
Mt Man Chad

NICE progress and driving it sweet!
Old 10-19-2011, 09:48 PM   #65
Flint70step

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mt Man Chad View Post
NICE progress and driving it sweet!
Thanks Chad,I picked up a PS pump today after work.Tomorrow I'll put it on the Burb and try to figure out whats going on with my tail lights.It felt so good to drive her the other day.All the hard work and bustin knuckles was well worth it.Making her road worthy is the goal for the rest of the week and this weekend if necessary.

Great patina

Old 10-19-2011, 10:08 PM   #66
Street Smart

I`m lovin the sub! Good luck with it

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/gallery/...=74049&cat=500
Street Smart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 10:34 PM   #67
gcburdic
Restoration Virgin!

Get that PS pump on tonight and let's go for a ride everything grounded out for the tail lights?

1972 Custom Deluxe C20 Suburban A Suburban Named Isabella

1966 Ford Mustang Mama's High School Graduation Present
gcburdic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 10:45 PM   #68
Flint70step

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcburdic View Post
Get that PS pump on tonight and let's go for a ride everything grounded out for the tail lights?
It was very,very tempting to get the pump on tonight but I chose to spend some time with my boy tonight instead.Now that I am finally at this point,I want to take my time and make sure everything is in order so I can avoid stupid/costly mistakes that go along with being in a hurry.I will get the pump on after work tomorrow and try to sort out the lights.Not sure on the grounding,but I'm gonna have a friend come help me tackle that prob.Unfamiliar territory for me.I hope it is somthin simple.

Great patina

Old 10-19-2011, 11:03 PM   #69
mcbassin
Still Learning

Congrats on getting it so close to driving! Must feel great to have all that behind you
Old 10-20-2011, 06:41 AM   #70
Flint70step

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbassin View Post
Congrats on getting it so close to driving! Must feel great to have all that behind you
It sure does bud.If I didn't have to go to work I'd be out there wrenchin on her right now.Thanks for all the kind words and motivation.It does help

Great patina

Old 10-21-2011, 04:06 PM   #71
tattoed71

my 71 shortwide lights were the same way a ground wire came off from being britle. i am with gcburb it could be a ground wire. u have a sweet burban buddy,my 6 year old and 4 year old boys are always helping me on my truck too. its better for them than video games
tattoed71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 05:49 PM   #72
Flint70step

Got the PS pump swapped out this morning and got to drive her around the neighborhood for a bit.I was just fixin to go to my buddy's hose to chase down my tail light prob and my boy passed out on me.So back to the house for a nap.While my boy was down for a nap I swapped out the lower front trim for one my friend Steve gave me for freeLooks 100% better.I did also get the driverside rear blinker to work so thats a step in the right direct there.I had big hope of getting an inspection sticker today but it was not in the cards.Getting closer all the time though

Great patina

Old 10-24-2011, 09:30 PM   #73
trapperjack

Hey Flint, lookin good. gotta love that first drive. On the rear lights, justa a thought. on my panel, Uncle Woody had botched in a later 70's wire harness in the column, actually had screws holding wires together that were jumped over. If my brakes or blinkers quit, I could reach under and tug a little on the harness, they'd work again another week. That's one of the reasons I parked it, finally couldn't jiggle my way to lights anymore. Must need a new screw shoved in there somewhere.
1968 Chevy 1/2 ton panel wagon, V8 and powerglide
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=483345
1978 Ford F250, beater stepside
2008 Jeep Wrangler 4 Door
2010 Chevy 4x4 plain jane work truck
trapperjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 12:13 AM   #74
Flint70step

I've been driving my Burb all week!.Yesterday I went to a good friends house and we finally chase down why I had no pass. rear lights.We took off the rear ac cover and at the top of the pass.side corner a mouse had chewed thru all 3 wires!I got out my strippers and made new connections.LIGHTS!!!!While I was at it I changes all the side maker bulbs and they work too!Now ALL of my lights work.Even the dome light comes on when I open the driver and pass. doors.

After me and Lawrence got my lights working I went home and borrowed the front tires from my truck.Then I went to go get my inspection!The first place I went to I waited a good 45 min and then they told me the guy who does inspections had a family emergency.I had them switch out my tires anyway so I would pass at the next place.The guy who did the tire swap gouged my slot mags on the inner lip with the tire machine.I was not happy.4 evenly spaced indentations on inner face.They should sand out and disappear with a good polishing.Then I went to the next place and the guy told me an hour wait.While I was waiting I hooked up the purple sending unit wire from the van tank to the Burb SU wire and made my fuel gauge work!The guy doing the inspections took a cig break and came over to check out my Burb.He really liked it and I told him how I put a TBI motor in it and all that good stuff.After the next car he waved me in and checked my lights, horn and insurance and gave me a sticker!!!

Now I'm 100% legal!I've been driving all over the place with no issues so far.She goes down the road nice and smooth.Today I took the black dash pad from my truck and put it in the Burb.I also installed a stock am radio I got from another Burb.Its got some pitting but looks better that an empty hole.Its feels damn good to be on the road and enjoying the fruits of my labor.There are still a lot of things to do on the Burb and I'll keep yall posted.Let me know what yall think.Be good

Great patina

Old 10-31-2011, 12:23 AM   #75
VA72C10
VA72C10

congrats! Love the truck! Enjoy