The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-13-2014, 01:53 AM   #1
kxmotox247

Baby Blue 1967 Renew Project

I probably should have started a post when I began disassembly. I've gotten a bunch of PM's asking about the project over the past year when people figured out I dissected the truck. Most people will recognize it as the 1967 SWB truck from the House of Kolor digital digital paintbooth software.
The truck hasn't been on the road since around 2008. I kept putting it off since every time I thought about what I wanted to do...the list kept growing. I finally dove in and disassembled the truck completely over a long labor day weekend in 2013. My motivation has been giving my wife something fun to drive and to also perfect a truck that had a good look to it before but was short on details. It still won't be perfect but it will be a very nice truck that I want her to drive.

I paid a guy to come to my house to blast all the large pieces with crushed glass. It was $150 an hour and well spent. Lucky for me I work at a place with a large glass bead blaster so I did a bunch myself. Within a month and a half I had everything blasted and recoated with epoxy and back on the frame. The truck had several surprises waiting for me under the old paint. Even the good areas weren't that great. Fortunately rust was fairly minor. I reassembled everything to replace the inner and outer rockers as well as several other very small patches. I had lots of "gapping" to do and was less than pleased with the fit of the repro goodmark fenders. The drivers side was decent but the passenger side was a joke.
The truck had a 350/350 in it and everything I have gets a big block so that had to go and a dual quad topped 468 sits in it's place. The truck had a Camaro rear that fit but was a wimpy 3:08 open so I cut down a Ford 9" traction-lock that fits even better. Tire sizes remain virtually the same but the rear is slightly taller. I always felt the rears on there before were a little too thin.
Once all the sheetmetal work was finished I stripped it back off the frame and dissected the chassis. I fabbed several new crossmembers and put in a PB trailing arm crossmember for the adjustability and ease of running the exhaust thru it for clearance. All new stainless brake lines and virtually everything is powdercoated.
I finished the chassis and have been working on bodywork and final paint for the past 3 months at home in my booth. I was trying to beat winter to get everything done but it looks like I'll have to save the work on the bed till early Spring since it's harder to keep the place adequately warm without breaking the bank on utilities. My wife and I mixed the color ourselves. It's a little darker than what was on it before but still lighter than the stock 1967 light blue. We mixed House of Kolor shimrin2 white with a Valspar blue toner. Over that we sprayed 3 coats of SG-150 flake carrier with blue ice pearl suspended in it. The clear coat is UFC-35 which is a flow clear that has excellent gloss.
The truck was a factory air truck but everything in the stock system had issues so I've gone the vintage air route. Hopefully over xmas I'll get my new wiring done. Everything will be fresh.
I've enjoyed reading the build threads on here. I'm amazed at how well some of these guys document their projects. I've taken a ton of pictures but just haven't taken any time to share until now. I'm super pumped up because I've got the cab back on now with the doors in place and by the end of the weekend I'm hoping to have the front clip back together. Hope you guys like the progress.
Attached Images

kxmotox247 is offline   Reply With Quote