The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-10-2022, 04:28 PM   #26
LS short box

Re: parts counter stories

One thing I think the parts stores miss when they hire a non-car person it prevents them from selling someone additional parts the may need for the repair. Like when a person come in for brake shoes. A good parts person should say "how do your wheel cylinders look"?
LS short box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 08:00 AM   #27
special-K
Special Order

Yeah, "Need a hardware kit?", "Got plenty of fluid?".

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 08:55 AM   #28
FleetsidePaul
R.I.P. E.S.L.L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS short box View Post
One thing I think the parts stores miss when they hire a non-car person it prevents them from selling someone additional parts the may need for the repair. Like when a person come in for brake shoes. A good parts person should say "how do your wheel cylinders look"?
They probably aren't paying these people jack squat. You get what you pay for.

You really can't blame the counter people for trying to make a living. I've had jobs where I had no idea what I was doing. I just needed the money.

1970 CST 20

1970 C/30 Flatbed

1983 C/30 Dually

2015 Corvette Z51 2021 Corvette Z51 1991 Cadillac Hearse 1982 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz 2000 Porsche Boxster S 2020 Jeep Gladiator 1973 VW Thing 1973 Plymouth Satellite wagon 1963 Baja Bug 1959 Bug Dune Buggy 1970 Baja Bug 1987 Jaguar XJ 350.

R.I.P. El Jay

R.I.P Jessie.

R.I.P Grumpy.

Every day is a gift from God.
FleetsidePaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 08:22 PM   #29
theastronaut

Me- I need an A/C belt for a '92 Miata.

Parts counter kid- *clicks through menus on the screen... "Does it have air conditioning?"
theastronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 08:45 PM   #30
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Haha.. John, that sounds like my parts guy..!!!

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

1981 C30 LQ9 NV4500..http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753598
Mongos AD- LS3 TR6060...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...34#post8522334
Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563
2023 Chevy Z71..daily driver
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 09:18 PM   #31
Accelo

I had good friends at the parts counter.
(since shut down couldn't compete with the internet)

The story;
Guy brings in a towel int and unwraps a air-condition pump.
Tells the counter guy he needs a starter.
Counter guy "that's a air-condition pump are you sure you need a starter."
"Yup", he says.
counter guys on to him now and asks him "what's it for."
Describes the vehicle he pulled up in. (large windows in the front of the building)
Counter guy, "You meant that one."
Yes, he says.
Never go the rest of the story, we were all laughing too hard.
Accelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 10:17 PM   #32
LS short box

I haven't seen the current parts store computer screen but would it be so much different from the latest Rock Auto web site?
At the parts store why couldn't after it's done searching for the part needed bring up here's the additional parts you might need? Seems so simple.
LS short box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 01:02 AM   #33
Accelo

My only experience with Rock Auto was a window motor for my Silverado.
Had one for less than anyone else. Ordered and installed. Didn't work even once.
The cable wound out like a reel of an amateur fly fisherman.
The one I removed said USA on it. The Rock Auto was china.
So I ordered a replacement from GM. When it arrived it said "China" on it also.
It was disappointing but at least it worked out of the box and it is still working.
Never ordered from Rock again. I just figured it cost is the only criteria I am not interested. I don't like doing it twice!
That means I am China's quality control department. And I am doing it for free.

I never purchase any sensors except from the OEM. Caused more headache than you could imagine.

Sound like your experiences were better than mine.
Cheers.
Accelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 05:26 AM   #34
special-K
Special Order

My criteria is quality when buying parts and Rock Auto offers options in that area. Often the GM replacement is offered or a top brand name such as Timken. It's a plus that Rock Auto offers the quality part at a better price than others. That's why I go to them first for my online parts shopping.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
Old 08-14-2022, 12:01 PM   #35
Axle

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS short box View Post
I haven't seen the current parts store computer screen but would it be so much different from the latest Rock Auto web site?
At the parts store why couldn't after it's done searching for the part needed bring up here's the additional parts you might need? Seems so simple.
Very different. I'm sure it varies by brand, but the store computer literally demands year make model before it lets you proceed. The other option it allows you is part number/cross reference part number.
There are other searches you can do, but you need time to look through it all as (the ones I've seen) will not let you drill down by model, its an all or nothing deal and you have look at each part individually to see its specs.
Napa used to have something like that on-line (behind a login now) where you could search "brake rotor" and you would get every rotor in existance presented to you. The good thing, but it took forever to look through, was that the parts specs where all there in great detail. You wanted a 13.5" rotor x .75" for something custom you just poked along until you found what you where after. Then you could see what it came from. BUT, again, you had to poke through it one by one.
No parts guy is going to do that. I used to spend untold amounts of time looking for stuff, and part of it was doing further cross referenceing and research to cover all your bases.
Here in Canada, PartSource had an excellent search that let you do the same sort of thing, but that disappeared years ago. Probably because other people also discovered that you could order parts individually in some cases that cost less than the kit version, or you discovered a kit that no body tells you about that is a bargain.
Axle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 07:46 AM   #36
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axle View Post
Here in Canada, PartSource had an excellent search that let you do the same sort of thing, but that disappeared years ago. Probably because other people also discovered that you could order parts individually in some cases that cost less than the kit version, or you discovered a kit that no body tells you about that is a bargain.
Seems like the better way to handle that would have been just use honest pricing and let your customers find their bargain. Should work to create repeat business, but what do I know?

Tim

Old 08-15-2022, 09:48 AM   #37
CAMAROBOY68SS

My best part counter story was back when I was in high school (12 years ago) A buddy had a 68 Camaro with a 396 in it. It was his dads, but it had been sitting since the late 70s. So my buddy wanted to try and get it running and ask me to help. Once to check and see if the motor was free, gave him a basic tune up list of stuff to replace (plugs, wires, points, some fuel line and carb rebuild kit) and then rode up with him to the parts store he preferred. Walked up to the counter and answer the year/make/model. 1968 Chevy Camaro SS with a 396, guy behind the counter clicks furiously then turns and says "Its not here, Chevy didnt make a 396 Camaro in 68." Told him, no Chevy did make one, but the counter guy was adamant since it was not on his computer that it was never made. So since we are looking for basic engine stuff, then told to then just lookup a 1968 Chevelle SS, figuring well that has to be there. Counter guy then looks at me as says "why should I look that up? Those parts wont fit your Camaro." At that point I just grabbed my buddy and walked out and we went to my parts store and got his parts. That has stuck with me ever since it happened as the dumbest thing to happen at a parts store for me.

C10 Build Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=833278

The "Others"
1933 Ford Pickup (Camaro in disguise)
2017 Camaro SS

Life long Chevy guy
CAMAROBOY68SS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 03:22 PM   #38
truckin 79

I worked at Western Auto for a while when I got out of the Army. I can tell you half the people dont even know what kind of vehicle they are driving. They may know it is a Chevy or Ford but ask the model and you get a blank stare back. Can you come outside and look and tell me what it is and tell me what is wrong with my car?????? NO Wow some people just should not try and fix a car.
I will say in todays modern times no one should get mad at a counter person when they could easily look up the part #they need on the internet. Like someone said, you can order and pick up the part you need in 15 minutes and usually can apply a 15% discount (advance auto). I always look up the part I need and check to see if the nearest store has the item I need and compare prices.
Old 08-19-2022, 09:21 AM   #39
Axle

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
Seems like the better way to handle that would have been just use honest pricing and let your customers find their bargain. Should work to create repeat business, but what do I know?
Your bargain is not their profit makers. They also do not like the fact it seems that customers have access to parts lookup. When it first went offline with a message "we're working on it, it will return shortly" I emailed them asking about it, give us another month or two, technical issues. Followup email after that time "we no longer offer parts lookup online, but our store associates will be more than happy to look up items on the computer".
No they are not, they do not want to deal with a guy looking for a non-stock application part by dimensions, I can spend hours looking up parts cause I like doing it. The guy in the store just wants to sell me a part and get me the hell outta there.

And in line with Camaroboy68SS and the non-existant engine, at one parts store here, apparently GM never offered a 350cid engine in a 1983 square body. News to me. =-)
Old 08-19-2022, 10:22 PM   #40
dagnabbitt

I had a rare, good experience with a NAPA store in Edmonton AB Canada yesterday.

Guy knew exactly what I meant when I asked if they had the old Trico-style wiper blades, and when I told him what kind of truck it was for and that it was outside he came out and installed them for me: I was on my way to work and he didn't want me to get dusty in my nice clothes. I'll be back again for sure.
1967 K20
1968 C20
1970 C10
1972 GMC 2500
1981 C10
dagnabbitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2022, 12:16 PM   #41
Axle

Gotta give it to Napa here, at least they have the exact fit wiper blades that don't need any stupid plastic adaptors that never stay together and let the wiper go off on its own adventure randomnly.
Old 08-26-2022, 07:47 AM   #42
special-K
Special Order

My buddy Rich at NAPA said when Advance first came to town with it's inexperienced counter help they would call NAPA, as if they were a customer, to look parts up for them. Once he realized that he started giving out wrong parts numbers

Tim

Last edited by special-K; 08-26-2022 at 10:04 AM.
Old 08-26-2022, 09:00 AM   #43
GOPAPA
"Tail Gate Best Seat In House"

My thinking about what it is like getting a part you need at the parts stores,

It seems here where I am ,,that parts stores just like hamburger joints cannot get workers to stay a working.. every time I go to any of the 3-4 parts stores ,new employees are there ..or short handed,, lots of girls now working in the stores and if one thinks they are way off course trying to find a part for you in their books ,,well. the guys are the same ,, hardly know anything about what the parts do ,,,they are looking up . If I wait long enough sometimes I can get the ol guy who knows what I am looking for .. but, now lots of the managers are young and inexperienced auto knowlege people too,, so,, we are at the disposal of just a guy or gal who stands behind the counter looking up page after page on the wrong page for the part you want .
Old 08-27-2022, 06:45 AM   #44
72velle

When I bought my 72 Chevelle i was going to do a basic tune up. It was originally a 350 car but had a 400sb under the hood. I went to the older guy at the counter and that was a mistake. I told him what I needed and he asked for the year, make, model and engine size. It went south from there. He argued that Chevy never put a 400 sb in a Chevelle. I agreed and told him that the motor had been swapped. He then told me it would never fit. I told him that it not only fit but did in fact reside under the hood.
Out of frustration I had him pull up a Caprice with a 400sb and bought the plugs for that.
Once I got to SC I found a Car Quest that was great. They kept the old paper books when the company switched to computers. They always got the right part the first time.
72velle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2022, 09:09 AM   #45
burnin oil

My mom and pop is pretty good. They will dig and find what I want and have a bunch of crazy stuff in stock. I recently bought the bolt that goes through leaf springs off the shelf along with the pre saginaw CV joint rebuild kit from store stock. You pay a little extra but they can normally help you out that day. I did have to order brake shoes off line since they couldn't get riveted shoes for a 14 bolt that were 3.5"s wide. Rock auto hooked that up for 1/3rd the price shipped.

I hate part stored that won't grab the spark plugs off the shelf without looking them up first. My old combo had autolite 606 plugs. Just grab them already. You carry autolites and here is the part number. Simple.
burnin oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2022, 10:16 AM   #46
special-K
Special Order

I know nothing about this stuff, but maybe they have to punch all this in to get a price?

Tim

Old 08-27-2022, 04:56 PM   #47
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

My parts counter story isn't a gripe about the hired help, but about the part application listings. My original fan clutch was a factory heavy-duty unit. When it finally failed, the only ones listed for my 72 K20 were standard-duty. Ended up getting one for a 76 K30 -- a heavy-duty unit that fits (and works) perfectly.

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2022, 05:16 PM   #48
Warrens69GMC

Its not encouraging to see ALL of the employees outside for a 20 minute break
Attached Images

Warrens69GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2022, 05:13 AM   #49
FleetsidePaul
R.I.P. E.S.L.L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrens69GMC View Post
Its not encouraging to see ALL of the employees outside for a 20 minute break
Maybe they were waiting for the computer to reboot.

1970 CST 20

1970 C/30 Flatbed

1983 C/30 Dually

2015 Corvette Z51 2021 Corvette Z51 1991 Cadillac Hearse 1982 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz 2000 Porsche Boxster S 2020 Jeep Gladiator 1973 VW Thing 1973 Plymouth Satellite wagon 1963 Baja Bug 1959 Bug Dune Buggy 1970 Baja Bug 1987 Jaguar XJ 350.

R.I.P. El Jay

R.I.P Jessie.

R.I.P Grumpy.

Every day is a gift from God.
FleetsidePaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2022, 04:05 PM   #50
special-K
Special Order

They're trying to find the windshield so they can change the guy's wipers

Tim