The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old Today, 09:46 AM   #1
F/51 LRS

Just picked up an LT4 swapped '86 C10

Hey y'all, I just picked up a new to me '86 C10 Silverado with a '96 LT4 swap. Working through some issues with it, but the intent is to daily drive it so I can sell my newer truck & get rid of any car payments! Working on tracking down why I experienced massive oil loss (2 quarts in ~250 miles) without seeing or smelling burning oil. The front of the engine was wet so put new timing cover gaskets/seals in. Hopefully that helps.

Next up is fixing the amateur hour wiring job one of the previous owners did (i.e. turn signals only work when headlights are off). Anyway, glad to be here & I expect I'll be spending an inordinate amount of time on the forum as I work through everything.

F/51 LRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:47 AM   #2
Slammed84

Re: Just picked up an LT4 swapped '86 C10

Nice rig! Sucks you're eating oil though, might be time to bust out the bore scope and take a look in the cylinders. Its either burning it or leaking it, not many options for losing that much oil that quickly.

As far as wiring goes, should be pretty simple to track down if you have a decent schematic and a DMM. If you need any electrical help just holler
Old Today, 10:52 AM   #3
F/51 LRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slammed84 View Post
Nice rig! Sucks you're eating oil though, might be time to bust out the bore scope and take a look in the cylinders. Its either burning it or leaking it, not many options for losing that much oil that quickly.

As far as wiring goes, should be pretty simple to track down if you have a decent schematic and a DMM. If you need any electrical help just holler
Thanks! My concern is it's either the rings or valve seals - the threads on my plugs were soaked, though the tips were dry. One is a pain, the other is a giant pain.

I may end up pulling all the random aftermarket wiring the guy did out & redoing it properly. Can't stand to have stuff rigged.

Last edited by F/51 LRS; Today at 01:37 PM.
F/51 LRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:12 AM   #4
Slammed84

Quote:
Originally Posted by F/51 LRS View Post
Thanks! My concern is it's either the rings or valve seals - the treads on my plus were soaked, though the tips were dry. One is a pain, the other is a giant pain.

I may end up pulling all the random aftermarket wiring the guy did out & redoing it properly. Can't stand to have stuff rigged.
I recently redid my entire engine compartment harness, found all the old style Delphi bulkhead connectors and the terminals that they use. I'm talking about the bulkhead connector that feeds through the firewall from the fuse block. Did some cool tricks with it as well, running some extra 12v and ground wires through the connector and the back out another connector to hide electric fan wiring and other non-stock electrical but its all hidden in seemingly stock wiring harness.
Old Today, 02:51 PM   #5
kipps

It's pretty rare to see a gen2 SBC swap! Do you have any engine bay pics? Those 1990's LT1 and LT4 engines were some of the best looking engines out there.
1987 C6P V20 truck, 2010 LMG 5.3, AFM delete, 2010 Camaro exhaust manifolds, 1997 nv4500, 1991 np241c, hydroboost, 2005 14bff axle & driveshaft, drop-n-lock gooseneck, 4.10 gears, stock suspension, rims, and tires. Still a work in progress. Any questions or suggestions are welcome!
kipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:10 PM   #6
Shifty One

Good looking Square!

1998 C2500 lot-rot rescue
Shifty One is offline   Reply With Quote