The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-21-2015, 07:16 PM   #226
tinydb84

Re: 2WD C10 Modern/Performance Alignments

The bolts on my 75 are 9/16''
Rear suspension rework: http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=750557
Instagram: myfabguy
tinydb84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 12:19 PM   #227
67_C20Pres

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMERDOC View Post
The frame bolts that retain the upper control arms are actually 1/2". The part number for the HF shim kit is 67585 and works perfectly.
Posted via Mobile Device
Link = http://www.harborfreight.com/144-pie...ent-67585.html
Old 04-22-2015, 03:02 PM   #228
BMERDOC

Yup. Thats the one. On a side note, I got an 09 Silverado not too long ago. I'll be looking into doing some alignment improvements soon. Both before and after a 4/7 drop.
Posted via Mobile Device
BMERDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 03:59 PM   #229
pablo101

Here's the Alignment sheet
Attached Images

pablo101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 05:02 PM   #230
BMERDOC

You guys are using a Hunter machine. See if this link helps dial it in a little better.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=582187
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-30-2015, 10:12 AM   #231
eightbanger
454 MAKES IT ROAR

I live in the U.K so getting stuff done on my Truck is just that bit harder, the shop I go to will do my Toe, because as luck would have it it's on their computer, but they will not touch the Caster/Camber. So I just had my Toe done today as the truck was pulling to the right, I've had to mess with the camber/caster at home on the drive but still don't really get it, anyway drove out of the shop and its still pulling to the right.

Frustrated at my lack of understanding of technical stuff, im going to have to post this and ask, whats it telling me?
Attached Images

An American living in a British body.

1971 Chevy Cheyenne 10 454

"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." - George Orwell

"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty" - Thomas Jefferson

No more pain.
03.12.60 -- 12.28.10

http://www.youtube.com/Eightbanger
eightbanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 10:47 AM   #232
BMERDOC

First thing's first....swap the front tires side-to-side. If steering is neutral or pulls left you have a tire issue. Hopefully it'll steer straight. Critiquing the other angles if I may, your caster is too shallow and should be between 2 and 3 degrees from the factory. If you can dial in more than 3 that'd be great Too shallow will cause wander other issues that will affect the stability feel of a vehicle.. I'd like to see your camber under 1 degree negative. I understand you frustration. If you'd like, post pics of your shim packs and I'll see if I can help get you straight.
2WD C10 Modern/Performance Alignments
Easiest Alignment Ever!
Old 04-30-2015, 01:20 PM   #233
eightbanger
454 MAKES IT ROAR

Quote:
First thing's first....swap the front tires side-to-side. I understand you frustration. If you'd like, post pics of your shim packs and I'll see if I can help get you straight.

Yes please mate, i'm desperate for this kinda help. I'll get some pics taken and post em up.

Thank you.

"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." - George Orwell

No more pain.
03.12.60 -- 12.28.10

Old 04-30-2015, 05:35 PM   #234
eightbanger
454 MAKES IT ROAR

Nick, I took the wheels off and switched them round as you suggested and to my complete surprise the truck now pulls to the left...how is that possible? is there a right and left wheel because its as different as putting my shoes on the wrong feet

Does it need to be aligned again? surely not!

No more pain.
03.12.60 -- 12.28.10

Old 04-30-2015, 06:23 PM   #235
BMERDOC

Your truck has a condition know as Tire Pull. The old alignment is now "burned" into the tread causing the condition. Swapping tires side to side proved this. The truck now wants to go left. If your tires are the same all the way around you do have the option of swapping one of the tires to the diagonal corners to see if the pull goes away (left front to right rear or vice versa). The only other option if you were serious about eliminating the pull is to purchase a new pair for the front. Aligning it again would not show any improvements. If you decide to mess with the shim packs to correct caster and camber you'll want to have the alignment rechecked.
Easiest Alignment Ever!
Old 04-30-2015, 06:51 PM   #236
eightbanger
454 MAKES IT ROAR

Thank you mate, I really do appreciate your help and advice, I will swap the wheels and let you know what happens, and I really want to get a handle on this whole caster/camber thing, so i'll take some pics of the shim packs tomorrow.

Thanks

No more pain.
03.12.60 -- 12.28.10

Old 05-01-2015, 07:43 AM   #237
eightbanger
454 MAKES IT ROAR

Well Nick here's the scooby, switched all the wheels diagonally as suggested, and when I took her out she drove nice and straight...Thank you man. I can't tell ya how over the moon I'am to have this finally sorted....BUT! when I took the front wheels off (one of which had been causing it to pull to the Right, then when switched it pulled to the Left) well I know why, one of the tires had a large bulge running about half way round the tire.

I took some pics of the shim packs for you also. First two are of the PS, the last iS DS.
Attached Images

No more pain.
03.12.60 -- 12.28.10

Old 05-01-2015, 09:13 AM   #238
jjzepplin

That will certainly do it. I think you may also be missing some big rounded type spacers behind those control arm bolts.
jjzepplin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 08:28 PM   #239
Hart_Rod

Just had my 86 C10 aligned. It's got a flip kit in rear which equated to about 8" of drop and a 3" spindle with 3" dropped springs in the front. Here's the alignment paperwork. Thoughts?
Attached Images

Hart_Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 10:18 PM   #240
Advanced Design

Hart_Rod, are the caster and camber in the positive range? If so, does your truck pull left?
Advanced Design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 11:27 PM   #241
tinydb84

I remember reading in the make it handle thread that you should avoid postive camber. Do you still have any shims in the upper control arms?
Rear suspension rework: http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=750557
Instagram: myfabguy
tinydb84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 04:08 PM   #242
BMERDOC

Sorry Guys. I'm usually quicker with responses. Looks like I dropped the ball. Here we go...

Eightbanger: That tire has a busted belt and should be replaced before it completely fails. The alignment shop should have spotted this before the alignment. It can affect the anlges of your alignment. I feel like they owe you a freeby alignment once you get a good tire on it. JJZepplin was right. It looks like you may be missing some spacers. The top and middle picture shows them behind the shim packs on the right side but its hard to tell if the others have them. You have excessive negative camber (I like to see no more than -1 degree. You don't have enough positive camber. Both the missing spacers and the bad tire can affect this and the readings. Can you confirm all the spacers are intact? BTW, I see an E46 in your driveway. What model is it? They don't call me BMERDOC for no reason.

Hart Rod: This is a great example of how green is not always good. Your camber started out in the negative range, which is good but then they added shims to move it into the positive range. While it is in spec, positive camber is not good. They also show your caster as non-adjustable but we both know it is. The difference in side to side caster is over 1 degree. Because the ride side is higher it would cause your truck to drift or pull to the passenger side. I wouldn't want to see more than .25 degrees difference from side to side. The shop you used has a Hunter machine. In my signature you will find a link called "Easiest Alignment Ever". If you show them this link they can align your truck like I did mine and its the fastest route to get a great alignment for your truck.
Easiest Alignment Ever!

Last edited by BMERDOC; 05-13-2015 at 04:15 PM.
Old 05-14-2015, 07:15 AM   #243
eightbanger
454 MAKES IT ROAR

Quote:
Sorry Guys. I'm usually quicker with responses. Looks like I dropped the ball. Here we go...

Eightbanger: That tire has a busted belt and should be replaced before it completely fails. The alignment shop should have spotted this before the alignment. It can affect the anlges of your alignment. I feel like they owe you a freeby alignment once you get a good tire on it. JJZepplin was right. It looks like you may be missing some spacers. The top and middle picture shows them behind the shim packs on the right side but its hard to tell if the others have them. You have excessive negative camber (I like to see no more than -1 degree. You don't have enough positive camber. Both the missing spacers and the bad tire can affect this and the readings. Can you confirm all the spacers are intact? BTW, I see an E46 in your driveway. What model is it? They don't call me BMERDOC for no reason.
Your a diamond mate, and no appologies nessasary, just glad to have this help from a pro, it's invaluable, at last I have a chance of getting the alignment done right and educated on the way.
The sun was splitting the trees yesterday, but the British weather being what it is it's cold and pissing down today, so no chance to get out and confirm if those spacers are there or not...i'll get back to you on that. Yes my old 1999 323 on the drive, I always say if you want a reliable well built run around as your other car...buy German.

No more pain.
03.12.60 -- 12.28.10

Old 06-09-2015, 10:32 AM   #244
eightbanger
454 MAKES IT ROAR

Quote:
Can you confirm all the spacers are intact?
Yes it looks like they are definately in there Nick.
Can you tell me whether it's positive or negative caster that I need to get the steering to return by itself? also im confussed about shims.....if I want more positive caster do I add or subtract shims from the front or back and vice versa for negative?

Thanks
Attached Images

No more pain.
03.12.60 -- 12.28.10

Old 06-09-2015, 11:19 AM   #245
BMERDOC

Yup, they are there. You'll want Positive caster (upper ball joint is tilted rearward on the axis in relation to the lower joint). You can add shims to the front or remove them from the rear to increase Postive caster. The prefered methos is what we refer to as the "Caster Mod". It will greatly increase positive caster and in something you can do in you fore court. The shims can still be used for fine adjustments. From what I remember you had little to no caster initally and excessive camber on the left side. If you can get camber somewhere between -.5° and _1.3°, caster as high as 6° to 7° and 1/16 toe per side and as equal as possible you are gonna have one nice driving truck. Good Luck and Cheers! Keep the questions coming when needed and keep us in the loop!
Easiest Alignment Ever!
Old 06-09-2015, 01:45 PM   #246
eightbanger
454 MAKES IT ROAR

Quote:
Yup, they are there. You'll want Positive caster (upper ball joint is tilted rearward on the axis in relation to the lower joint). You can add shims to the front or remove them from the rear to increase Postive caster. The prefered methos is what we refer to as the "Caster Mod". It will greatly increase positive caster and in something you can do in you fore court. The shims can still be used for fine adjustments. From what I remember you had little to no caster initally and excessive camber on the left side. If you can get camber somewhere between -.5° and _1.3°, caster as high as 6° to 7° and 1/16 toe per side and as equal as possible you are gonna have one nice driving truck. Good Luck and Cheers! Keep the questions coming when needed and keep us in the loop!
Thank you very much for your help Nick, it is greatly appreciated
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-29-2015, 08:06 AM   #247
eightbanger
454 MAKES IT ROAR

Hi Nick, I have taken a couple of new pics after removing more shims in an effort to get the camber to -.5, you'll notice that on the PS I am unable to get the same reading as the DS, I had to remove all but 1 shim and in an effort to get it near -.5 and to get any pos caster on the PS I now have no shims....this can't be correct, is it?
Attached Images

No more pain.
03.12.60 -- 12.28.10

Old 06-29-2015, 04:08 PM   #248
BMERDOC

Yup, thats pretty much correct! If you look in my Sig you'll see a link called Easiest Alignment Ever. Look at that post. My passenger side had no shims whatsoever and my driver's only required a total of three shims.
Easiest Alignment Ever!
Old 06-29-2015, 05:10 PM   #249
eightbanger
454 MAKES IT ROAR

Thumbs up Re: 2WD C10 Modern/Performance Alignments

Thank you Nick for all your help, we're very lucky to have you here...

No more pain.
03.12.60 -- 12.28.10

Old 07-30-2015, 03:50 PM   #250
picklito

After a little home tweaking, I'm pretty close to "neutral" on all my specs now. Caster is about 2 degrees, and I have equal shim thickness at front and back locations on the upper control arm...

How much shim differential can I run between the front and back locations? Can I add a bunch to the front and remove from the rear to increase caster? I know the answer is "yes," but how much of an angle can I put into that cross shaft?
picklito is offline   Reply With Quote