The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-10-2015, 03:44 PM   #1
NewType72

Great Grandpa's Legacy reborn

So here begins the story of my great grandfathers legacy, left behind on the other side of the family for the past 40 years as a so and so driven truck on their farm. Joe (great grandpa) was a good ole boy here on the west coast living the farmers life raising his family as all others were. The family had many GM vehicles through the years leading to a sale of the more than reliable 1953 Chevy pickup they used on the farm for the much more conventional 73 c/10 cheyenne he purchased shown shortly after. Boasting better mileage, quieter cabin, and much more fishing and camping trip friendly with the added wooden frame camper shell, she was ahead of her time for the year, at least for the good ole boy enjoying his later years. Spending his weekends taking my father out to the rivers and lakes to fish or camping and being sure to stir the pot and pull over after being a block away from home and letting my father learn how to drive to their next adventure at the age of 12/13 fully capable and completely fearful while flying down the freeways on occasion. That sure did rile up grandma and great grandma more than well enough I'm sure anyone could agree. Sadly that December of 73' Joe passed on leaving behind the truck, wonderful memories, and heavy hearts.

Supposing that eventually when he turned 16 the truck would be his, my father bided his time filling in on the farm for his aunt and uncle and coveting the truck as he went, but when the time came the truck stayed and it continued on for the 41 years after arriving in the family to aide in hauling, construction work, and occasional small trips. So begins the return of the truck that started it all for my father as he now, at the experienced age of 54, fully reunites with the truck of his boyhood dreams forever more. Through years of daily wear and tear and missed maintenance days and fender benders for body shops to poorly repair the truck finally sat for near seven years of recent before we were able to attempt reviving it with the blessing of some fossil fuel, new battery, and a little "think I can" she roared to life leaving smiles all round. Boy was she rough and on her last leg though. So begins the countless sleepless night of what to do on fixing her up.

- Dylan
(209)-985-7721

Last edited by vectorit; 09-20-2016 at 11:23 PM.
NewType72 is offline   Reply With Quote