The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board > 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans and PanelsProjects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-16-2009, 11:56 AM   #751
VA72C10
VA72C10

Re: LFD's 4dr Tahoe Build

That's very cool...will we at least see the finished product.......please
Old 10-16-2009, 12:08 PM   #752
BlueJeep

Hmmm....no build thread... Is this something that will be commercially available in the future? And if so, will it be available in a 2 seater (2 y/o twin boys)?

86 Suburban
88 Jeep 6.0 swap
49 Chevy truck
54 Chevy wagon

86 Suburban lowered 4/6
54 Chevy wagon
49 Chevy/s10 mix
88 Jeep Wrangler rockcrawler

Last edited by BlueJeep; 10-16-2009 at 12:09 PM.
BlueJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 12:45 PM   #753
KLINGER

is that the t-bird irs i spot? I WOULD LOVE to see the finished write up on this as i am planning on doing the same to mine.
KLINGER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 01:18 PM   #754
ccreddell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokcrln View Post
The stock rack doesn't work and is replaced by a widened MII rack. I think it is still narrowed up but about 2" less then the regular DM but I may be incorrect about width. But the rack does need to be replaced that I know.

Kevin
LFD Inc.
I guess I was mistaken then. Ive been reading everything I can on the DMs and I could have sworn the C4 DM used the stock Vette rack. I do know that the regular DM is narrowed 2" and uses a widened MII rack, but I was under the impression that the Vette was already a bit narrower in stock form.

http://www.classictrucks.com/tech/07...ember_kit.html
ccreddell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 01:27 PM   #755
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccreddell View Post
I guess I was mistaken then. Ive been reading everything I can on the DMs and I could have sworn the C4 DM used the stock Vette rack. I do know that the regular DM is narrowed 2" and uses a widened MII rack, but I was under the impression that the Vette was already a bit narrower in stock form.

Originally, it did use the stock C4 R&P. Now it uses a MII unit.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 01:37 PM   #756
Frizzle Fry

Quote:
i guess i was mistaken then. Ive been reading everything i can on the dms and i could have sworn the c4 dm used the stock vette rack. I do know that the regular dm is narrowed 2" and uses a widened mii rack, but i was under the impression that the vette was already a bit narrower in stock form.

fyi...
Quote:
Originally Posted by porterbuilt View Post
...as for the dropmember being narrowed, it's not quite four inches. The geometry was designed utilizing stock spindles and arms and a mustangii rack.
Frizzle Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 06:42 PM   #757
ccreddell

yeah, I should have said 2" per side.
Old 10-17-2009, 12:42 AM   #758
Frizzle Fry

and an unmodified MII rack.
Frizzle Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 04:47 PM   #759
Rokcrln

Ok bare with me as my ADD kicks in today! I have customer trucks to be working on but my mind is wondering so I wanted to get the evil thoughts out of my head.

First was the exhaust and a friend of mine just picked up a 99 F-body LS motor complete for a 45 chevy PU he is building and the first thing he bought for it were headers. That left his stock manifolds sitting their and after seeing Hart_Rod's Donkey build and how well his stockers fit I drove down to my friends and picked them up for a test fit. Rob is running the stock front cross-member and I have a DM C4 in this so I was not sure how it would work. Well it works great and for the price of free I do believe their are just the one's I was looking for. My steering will work out great as well and with these DM that is a big plus! So here are a few pic's.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Then I decided to lift the Tahoe up so I could take a few measurements to make sure an oil pan I just ordered for the 5.3L would work with the drop member (and it will) but I had to wait for the elect comps to charge up the system before I could lift it (been sitting for a few weeks untouched) and the system was empty.

So this got me thinking of how I would like to have an On Board Air (OBA) system on the motor as well as the elect (for back ups) pumps. See how ADD really gets in the way of work! So out came the wrenches and about 30 min later I had the system designed in my head and laid out on the motor. I removed the tensioner and put the ALT. over on that side and with a very simple bracket it will mount and line up real well. Then over were the ALT. was I will mount a small compressor (this one is off my Rock crawler and has worked great for years with a small mount of oiling and puts out close to what the York's put out since a york will not fit. This one is off a 5.0 mustang if I remember right and with a bracket or two should mount up just fine as well and the pulley matches what is on the motor already. So for a tensioner I will use the old ALT. mounting bracket for the solid base and build an adjustable rod that will hook from their over to the ALT. and allow me to tighten the belt. It will be a fancy adjuster rod since I need to clear the radiator hose inlet.

Now after doing all this I have never looked to see if their was a kit already for this and I have just been wasting my time or not. So if you know of one or have a pic of something out their please lets see it.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

Well that is it for now, but the day is young so who knows

Kevin
LFD Inc.

Last edited by Rokcrln; 11-11-2009 at 04:55 PM.
Rokcrln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 05:16 PM   #760
NTR72GMC
2wd FTW!!!!

You got to love ADD!!!!
NTR72GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 08:45 PM   #761
Hart_Rod

ADD can be a good thing, . I'm glad the manifolds worked out. Do you think the that compressor would work with my Magnacharger setup?
Attached Images

Hart_Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 09:17 PM   #762
Rokcrln

I don't know, I would need a good front shot with the belt on to see. I will have mine done by morning so I will post up a few pics when done. I have seen a company out their that sells a kit to mount a York style off the side of the ALT bracket but it looks terrible and runs off a single small V-belt. My set up will look real clean and uses a 6 rib 7/8 belt.

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Old 11-11-2009, 09:31 PM   #763
Hart_Rod

Looking forward to seeing the final setup. Here's a front shot.
Attached Images

Hart_Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 12:14 AM   #764
VA72C10
VA72C10

Well, I for one am glad the tahoe got some much deserved attention
Old 11-12-2009, 12:40 AM   #765
Rokcrln

Now I need a shot of the ALT and the clearance to the blower. That is were it will be tight.

I got a little bit ahead of my self and cut off a mounting ear on the factory ALT. bracket so I would have clearance for the A/C pump only to realize I did not have the coil packs mounted and the A/C pump hit them So now I get to weld it back in place in order to make a nice clean belt adjuster that will use that stock mounting tab. I have all the clearances worked out now so I just need to have a full day to build it all and order a few hiem joints for adjusters. With the larger diameter pulley on the A/C pump compared to the small ALT . pulley caused a bit of a clearance problem that was solved by sliding the A/C pump forward .045 and milling the head of the bolt off by .045 to get just enough room so they will not touch each other.

So in the morning I will Tig the ear I cut off back on and make the new ALT mounting bracket then find a belt that fits. You can also see their is about 1/4" of free space between the belt and the lower Radiator hose. How do you like how well the rear of the A/C pump fits around the coil packs and the end of the fuel rail? Just like it was meant to be!

Kevin
LFD Inc.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 11-12-2009, 01:09 AM   #766
Puropedo
Account Suspended

Wait,,,Am I getting this right?? You are going to be using that mustang a/c compressor to fill up your air suspension tanks?
Puropedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 01:57 AM   #767
Rokcrln

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puropedo View Post
Wait,,,Am I getting this right?? You are going to be using that mustang a/c compressor to fill up your air suspension tanks?
Actually I am using a nippondenso compressor to fill my air tanks for my suspension Most guys use the York style but they are too bulky and I have used this style for years with out failure. Plus once it is all said and done it will look like a factory set up.

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Old 11-12-2009, 10:33 AM   #768
LOW DOUGH
I'M TRUCK CRAZY!

great work Kevin! That's really neat
LOW DOUGH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 11:01 AM   #769
Tagg33

I've been looking into the Yorks for quite awhile now. An engine driven compressor for on board air is a very attractive idea. I look forward to seeing more on your setup. Since it was on a previous vehicle of yours I'm sure you already have all the air fittings, oiler, water trap, etc. When you get to it please show us all the parts and details, like you always do.

Do you have a part number for us on the compressor? I've been wanting to put one in this smog pump spot.
Attached Images

84 SWB, C4 IFS Crossmember, C4 IRS, RE7 bags, WCC 3pc 22"s
My reBuild: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=346328
Tagg33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 11:18 AM   #770
70 Suburban
Rods

How does the nippin denso oil... The york has an oil resivour.

1965 C-10 Ext cab build. 350??(Does it count at 2 truck if I had to cut one up?)
1966 C-10 lwb 283 auto
1970 Suburban in pieces
1971 Blazer 4wd....restore someday. all factory CST
1972 Blazer 4wd parts truck still a roller
1972 GMC Sierra Grandee

1998 Chevy ext driver.
2005 F**D the wife drive...(cant fix women)
70 Suburban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 11:55 AM   #771
Rokcrln

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70 Suburban View Post
How does the nippin denso oil... The york has an oil resivour.
Good question! Here is what I was told years ago, the york is a piston pump much like a gas engine and produces a lot of friction and needs to be oiled often. The Nip is a rotary style and the veins have some type of wear coating on them and the friction is down to almost zero. If this is true I really don't know. What I do know is this one came from the pick-n-pull and was bolted to my rock crawler and used for 2 seasons with out oil ever being added and will keep a 1/4" die grinder full throttle with the motor at 1200 rpm's.

Now if need be they sell oilers that go inline and put a drop of oil in the system how ever often you set it for but I have never used one with this style of pump. I did use them back when I was running the Yorks back in the day but like I said this Nip pump has 2 years in the crawler and who knows how long in the car I pulled it from and still pumps great.

So I guess we will see just how it does if I ever get this beast on the road

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Old 11-12-2009, 08:01 PM   #772
Rokcrln

So after about 8 hours here is were I am with my set up. I still have some bracing to do on my comp once my 10mx170 bolts come in. It is a tight but good fit.

Kevin
LFD Inc.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 11-12-2009, 08:15 PM   #773
ccreddell

Is it a bad angle, or are you not going to run the A/C comp?
Old 11-12-2009, 08:32 PM   #774
Rokcrln

Quote:
Is it a bad angle, or are you not going to run the A/C comp?
It is in the lower Passenger corner still hooked up for cabin air. It runs on its own belt that is behind the new belt.

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Old 11-12-2009, 09:14 PM   #775
Ackattack

I was going to mention you could relocate the coils off of the valve covers, but it looks like you already came up with your solution.

Looks great!
Ackattack is offline   Reply With Quote