The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-04-2017, 12:51 PM   #751
knomadd

Re: Knomadd '71 SWB C-10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwilb88 View Post
Firewall looks great!
Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic1947 View Post
What color do you plan for the inner fenders? Everything is looking great!
Thanks Vic, the inner fenders will be the factory 510 Medium Blue, just like the firewall.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckLee View Post
looks amazing. You've inspired me to attempt much more for my engine bay than originally planned. thanks
Thanks! Good luck, and sorry for the additional work you're about to attempt.
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian1971 View Post
Hi Duane,
Looking great I love that color of blue.I had a question about your brake lines that run up to your wilwood proportioning valve.Did you buy those already made up or shorten and reflare the factory lines.I bought the same wildwood setup a few months ago but haven't installed it yet.
Thanks Brian
Thanks Brian! The brake lines were purchased as a reproduction in stainless. I had to straighten them out and re-bend them to work with the wilwood stuff since they aren't in the same position as the factory stuff. It wasn't too hard to do. I used an old metal hanger to figure out where I wanted it bent before I re-bent the brake lines.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbassin View Post
Looking good Duane!
Thanks Mike!

C/10 Club Texas member
1971 Chevy C10 "Brutus" SWB Fleetside 2016 6.0L (L96) 6L90E (driver/project)
1965 Pontiac GTO "Royal Goat" 400/TH400 w/AC (my baby)
knomadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 02:56 PM   #752
knomadd

I did some more reassembly last night. I got the e-brake reinstalled with some stainless oversized acorn nuts. I think it finishes it off a little nicer than a couple of stainless nuts on a painted bolt. Not that the brake cable and grommet look all that great.

I also got the vintage air system reinstalled under the dash. I hope it's all finished under there because, MAN... that was a PAIN!! The firewall looks good though, so it was all worth it. (sorry, no pics... look further back in my thread and you'll see it again.)

C/10 Club Texas member

Last edited by knomadd; 07-14-2017 at 12:03 PM.
Old 01-06-2017, 05:25 PM   #753
mcbassin
Still Learning

Looking good Duane! Keep up the good work, LST is right around the corner.....
mcbassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 05:34 PM   #754
MMcMasters

Quote:
Originally Posted by knomadd View Post
I did some more reassembly last night. I got the e-brake reinstalled with some stainless oversized acorn nuts. I think it finishes it off a little nicer than a couple of stainless nuts on a painted bolt. Not that the brake cable and grommet look all that great.

I also got the vintage air system reinstalled under the dash. I hope it's all finished under there because, MAN... that was a PAIN!! The firewall looks good though, so it was all worth it. (sorry, no pics... look further back in my thread and you'll see it again.)

Duane,

you are killing it !!!

70 Med Olive build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=714804

Instagram- protouring66
MMcMasters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 10:39 PM   #755
knomadd

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbassin View Post
Looking good Duane! Keep up the good work, LST is right around the corner.....
not going to make it to LST this year. Too much to do, including creating my own harness, fuel system, trans cooler lines, rear end rebuild (outsourced), new driveshaft (I'm told about a 4 week build time) and tuning to name a few.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMcMasters View Post
Duane,

you are killing it !!!
Thanks Mike! It's moving slowly, but still progressing. As long as there's still progress, I'm good.

C/10 Club Texas member
Old 01-06-2017, 10:45 PM   #756
slowcpe

Very nice work!

Where are you getting your driveshaft made? I'm getting close to that myself to.
1967/71 Blue SWB C10..SOLD
1977 SWB K10..my grandpa's.....never should have sold
slowcpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 10:48 PM   #757
knomadd

I'm having a local shop rebuild my rearend and they are recommending Denny's Driveshaft. They're based in New York. They've told me out of the many places in the Houston area they've used, they aren't impressed with the work of even the best shop here, as compared to Denny's. I know it's a bit time heavy compared to a local shop, but I think it'll be worth it.

C/10 Club Texas member
Old 01-06-2017, 11:54 PM   #758
Vic1947

Quote:
I'm having a local shop rebuild my rearend and they are recommending Denny's Driveshaft. They're based in New York. They've told me out of the many places in the Houston area they've used, they aren't impressed with the work of even the best shop here, as compared to Denny's. I know it's a bit time heavy compared to a local shop, but I think it'll be worth it.
I've bought several components from Denny's but never a complete driveshaft. Their website is very informative and professional, so you'd think their work would be as well. Likewise, I'm surprised at the delivery time, but like the old saying goes, "Fast, Cheap, Good... pick one, cuz if it's fast, it won't be cheap or good."
Maybelline - my '57 Ford 2dr Sedan "Mecum'd" 3/2016 Location unknown
Silver Streaker "Mecum'd" 4/2013 Somewhere in Texas
Vic1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 04:57 PM   #759
88Stanger

knomadd,
beautiful work!!!! damn fine job!!!
88Stanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 10:32 PM   #760
mooseknuckles

lookin good!
mooseknuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 11:02 PM   #761
knomadd

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88Stanger View Post
knomadd,
beautiful work!!!! damn fine job!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseknuckles View Post
lookin good!
Thanks guys!

Got the VHX gauge computers mounted to an aluminum panel that I plan on mounting behind the gauge cluster. There's also a ground block in the middle. Sorry about the blurry cell phone pic. I couldn't get a clearer shot.

C/10 Club Texas member

Last edited by knomadd; 07-14-2017 at 12:04 PM.
Old 01-09-2017, 11:11 PM   #762
Advanced Design

The panel is a good idea. It will really help organize the module and harness package. Going to keep that in mind for my VHX too. Thanks!
Advanced Design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 09:16 AM   #763
Bennett68C10

Quote:
Thanks guys!

Got the VHX gauge computers mounted to an aluminum panel that I plan on mounting behind the gauge cluster. There's also a ground block in the middle. Sorry about the blurry cell phone pic. I couldn't get a clearer shot.
Good idea, I might have to steal it when I get to that point.

66 Suburban

Burb Build Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=751361

IG: bennett68c10
Bennett68C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 11:29 AM   #764
Vic1947

I saw a display of the VHX setup at Classic Parts the other day and it really looks trick. Was wondering, does it play well with an ECU? I haven't researched what will be required to map things like oil pressure, water temp, tachometer and etc. into the Classic Instruments gauges I purchased to use with the old school Gen I engine. Since switching over to the LS3, it may be worthwhile to consider a VHX panel if you can plug it into the factory harness.
Maybelline - my '57 Ford 2dr Sedan "Mecum'd" 3/2016 Location unknown
Silver Streaker "Mecum'd" 4/2013 Somewhere in Texas
Vic1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 10:38 AM   #765
knomadd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advanced Design View Post
The panel is a good idea. It will really help organize the module and harness package. Going to keep that in mind for my VHX too. Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennett68C10 View Post
Good idea, I might have to steal it when I get to that point.
No problem guys. Glad to be of some use on here.
Quote:
I saw a display of the VHX setup at Classic Parts the other day and it really looks trick. Was wondering, does it play well with an ECU? I haven't researched what will be required to map things like oil pressure, water temp, tachometer and etc. into the Classic Instruments gauges I purchased to use with the old school Gen I engine. Since switching over to the LS3, it may be worthwhile to consider a VHX panel if you can plug it into the factory harness.
I don't have it all hooked up yet, but I was told the OBD-II module (BIM-01-2, bottom right) helps with all of that. The gauges themselves come with some sensors that can be put into any engine to run the gauges. As long as you have a spot for the sensors, it should work without the OBD-II module. If you're going to go with the Dakato Digital setup, look into the OBD-II BIM module. It has some features it can pull from the ECU (depending on the ECU) that will show up in the digital displays. Some guys have said they get trans temp and gear position with the newer 6 speed autos. I'm hoping that's true.

Rob Hartley (Hart_Rod) has done a VHX (in the gold 68) and the new HDX setup in his vehicles. The latest is the HDX in his Superburb project. He's running LS based engines in both. It will be worth looking at his threads too.

Last night I was able to get the panel installed and start to connect the BIM modules to the gauge controller.

C/10 Club Texas member

Last edited by knomadd; 07-14-2017 at 12:04 PM.
Old 01-11-2017, 11:00 AM   #766
Hart_Rod

Quote:
Quote:
No problem guys. Glad to be of some use on here.

I don't have it all hooked up yet, but I was told the OBD-II module (BIM-01-2, bottom right) helps with all of that. The gauges themselves come with some sensors that can be put into any engine to run the gauges. As long as you have a spot for the sensors, it should work without the OBD-II module. If you're going to go with the Dakato Digital setup, look into the OBD-II BIM module. It has some features it can pull from the ECU (depending on the ECU) that will show up in the digital displays. Some guys have said they get trans temp and gear position with the newer 6 speed autos. I'm hoping that's true.

Rob Hartley (Hart_Rod) has done a VHX (in the gold 68) and the new HDX setup in his vehicles. The latest is the HDX in his Superburb project. He's running LS based engines in both. It will be worth looking at his threads too.

Last night I was able to get the panel installed and start to connect the BIM modules to the gauge controller.

There's a setting within the HDX menus that allow you to change where a particular gauge gets it's input, i.e. SENSOR or BIM. It's pretty easy to setup. Let me know if you have any questions.
Hart_Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 05:15 PM   #767
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Nice work on the VHX install. I still have to finish making the panel I started making for mine. I have so many modules to put on it, I was running out of room and haven't gotten back to finishing it.
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 01:21 AM   #768
garciajulian

Nice, I saw you changed your cluster and wiring any chance you want to seel them Im looking for that type of cluster with volts and that wiring.
garciajulian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 10:31 AM   #769
knomadd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher View Post
Nice work on the VHX install. I still have to finish making the panel I started making for mine. I have so many modules to put on it, I was running out of room and haven't gotten back to finishing it.
I know how you feel. I'm still trying to figure out where to mount my ECM and fuse block for the LS.
Quote:
Originally Posted by garciajulian View Post
Nice, I saw you changed your cluster and wiring any chance you want to seel them Im looking for that type of cluster with volts and that wiring.
I'm willing to sell the gauges, as for the wiring, are you talking about the part of the harness between the gauges and the dash harness? I don't think I'll be using any of it, but I'll need some time to figure it out. If you're really interested, PM me an offer.

C/10 Club Texas member
Old 01-23-2017, 11:48 AM   #770
knomadd

I have made some progress over the last week and a half. Not much, but progress is still progress...

I finally got the high hump installed. Had to mark and drill the holes, then cut some more of the floor for the clips I used, but it's in... or was.

I dropped the engine in this weekend so I could test an idea of where I want to mount the ECM. I had been thinking I'd mount it under the dash, but it's really really cluttered in there now... Here it is sitting on a plate I made to bolt to the dash, and was going to somehow tie it to the pedal mount plate I still need to make.

Instead, I thought I'd try and see if the harness would reach to under the seat. So, I started routing the wires from the sensors back to the cab.

It appears to be long enough that I can make that work, so I'm going to try and use the junk harness first and get it where I want it, then copy it with the new replacement (good) harness.

It looks like there's a ton of extra wire, but there really isn't. Some of all that coiled wire is useless (rear O2 sensors, EVAP stuff and such). The MAF sensor wires are too short, but I can add to them. Also, since the back of the engine and trans are the furthest from where the ECM used to mount in the Express Van, there is a lot of extra length for those wires, but not so much for the front drivers side sensors. Should be interesting, and make for some "fun" nights and weekends ahead. I'm not a big fan of wiring...

Oh, and in case you can't tell, I have some peeling paint issues on the engine and trans. I guess I either didn't clean it or scuff it well enough. I'll be pulling it back out to fix those areas.

C/10 Club Texas member

Last edited by knomadd; 07-14-2017 at 12:05 PM.
Old 01-31-2017, 03:55 PM   #771
knomadd

I have some wiring questions for the LS Swap guru's. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=729064

C/10 Club Texas member
Old 02-04-2017, 12:29 AM   #772
knomadd

So I think I have my ECM and fuse panel mounting location figured out...

It will be behind the seat, next to the subwoofer.

C/10 Club Texas member

Last edited by knomadd; 07-14-2017 at 12:06 PM.
Old 02-07-2017, 10:01 AM   #773
knomadd

Well it's not exactly what I had in mind, but it was easier than my original plan (MDF), and it doesn't require that I cover it with carpet or something.

C/10 Club Texas member

Last edited by knomadd; 07-14-2017 at 12:06 PM.
Old 03-09-2017, 12:27 AM   #774
kehstr

Awesome build! Subscribed to watch this beast come together!

Check out my Youtube channel
@Chad's Fab
kehstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 09:29 AM   #775
mcbassin
Still Learning

Dig the PCM mount setup! I love that pic with all the wiring too. It brings back fond memories
mcbassin is offline   Reply With Quote