The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Racing and high performance (trucks haulin more than hay)

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-17-2015, 10:36 AM   #11
68Gold/white

Re: Ok Boys and Girls it's Storytime

Quote:
Originally Posted by regan wilson View Post
Well the first outing went well. I raced the LODRS event at Thunder Road in Gilliam La this past weekend. I left Wednesday afternoon blew a trailer tire 40 miles out. One of my good friends and racing buddy Charlie Owens rescued me with a spare and an unmounted tire. I got back on the road and blew another in Waskom Tx. Pulled the tire off and limped with five tires to Flying J truck stop in Greenwood La. Got another tire mounted and hit the road again. Got five miles from the track and boom another one let go. I said to hell with it and limped to the track with rubber flying. A 130 mile trip took me 4 1/2 hours, it was beer time. Thursday morning we tried to figure out a way to fix the trailer but I decided I came to race so thats what Im doing. I got my chassis cert done and teched for the race then made three time trials. I tell ya 148 felt like 200 lol. I made some adjustments and felt like the truck was working well. Friday I had a four run reaction time average of .009 needless to say I was happy and confident I could be competitive. On to Sunday morning, I missed the tree and had a .037 light but my opponent went red. Second round I was .025 on the tree to my opponent's .030 light and I won the round. Third round I made some adjustments to shoot for a .010 to .012 light. I ran Tony Fuller third rd, I turned the top bulb on and he ran in and turned on both bulbs. I guess I let it get to me and got in too deep and it rocked on the transbrake. I went .005 red and he was .020 green. It was a round I could have won so I wasnt happy with myself. All in all though the truck did great. I put four tires on the trailer monday morning and came home. I have some videos and some cool Go Pro video coming soon.
Hey Regan,
Had a racer friend w/ similar trailer tire experience. He now runs his tires 4 years, and they come off, regardless of how they look.
Most companies that recap tires will not cap a tire older than 4 years old. Tire knowledge is part of my job. Knowing how old your tires are is a good thing, for any vehicle.
Hope you make it to Oklahoma again soon!!! The Tulsa divisional race is weekend of June 13, 14.
Thanks again for show me your pickup at Noble last fall!!!
Jeff
68Gold/white is offline   Reply With Quote