The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-23-2013, 08:21 AM   #1551
68Stepbed

Re: Make it handle

BTW, I love the background with the AD truck with the muffler "cannon" in the back.

68 C10 stepside, LS1/700R4, TCI Engineering suspension system
68Stepbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 03:05 PM   #1552
AutoX_a_Truck?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68Stepbed View Post
Can you tell alot of differences in different tires? I'm currently running a hard(420TWR) Hankook, but plan to switch to something closer to 300 or so later. What tire do you like best?
In my experience tires make a huge difference and while tread wear ratings give a general idea, they can be deceptive, particularly with tire companies fighting to make a real street tire for SCCA

My first transition was from 295/50/15 Hankooks (400+ tread wear), which were rock hard to very sticky autocross street tires Kumho Ecsta XS (180 tread wear).

There's nothing like building up an old automobile from scratch and wiping out one of these Detroit machines... That'll give you a set of emotions that will stay with you... Know what I mean? Those satisfactions are permanent...

Last edited by AutoX_a_Truck?; 01-23-2013 at 03:20 PM. Reason: Typos
AutoX_a_Truck? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 05:07 PM   #1553
robnolimit

Yes, tires make a difference. Be carefull, sticky tires don't last long. When you get down to the 180-220 tread wear range, they're fun, but don't count on more than 3000 miles. I like the BFG KDW's for an all around tire. 300 TW, good grip and they last appx 8-10,000 miles. I know thats not too long, but if your asking about the grip, I'm guessing you DRIVE them hard enough to tell the difference. - That take the life out of them.
2011 Truckin' Throwdown Champion
GoodGuys 2010 National Champion

Proud to put our products up against all others!
robnolimit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 01:13 AM   #1554
butchp

Rob can you tell me where to get my steering parts. 1956 chevy truck with 1980 camaro stub. I want to put new center link and tie rods, Idle arm. I have heard about a shorter idle arm and maybe installing the tie rods on top of steering arms. I just need help to buy all this stuf from one place.

Last edited by butchp; 01-29-2013 at 01:14 AM. Reason: did not say truck or car.
butchp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:38 PM   #1555
robnolimit

Quote:
Originally Posted by butchp View Post
Rob can you tell me where to get my steering parts. 1956 chevy truck with 1980 camaro stub. I want to put new center link and tie rods, Idle arm. I have heard about a shorter idle arm and maybe installing the tie rods on top of steering arms. I just need help to buy all this stuf from one place.
At first I would say that OEM replacement (such as Moog or TRW) is the best bet. Swappint the TREs to the top would play heck on the steering geometry, as would a shorter idler arm (a crcle track trick, but the only turn left. The Idler and Pitman arm need to be the same length. Using a longer Pitman and Idler arm set will quicken up the steering. Also, there are center links with imroved geometry. Caution: many of these type of parts come from the circle track industry, and are designed to help turn left ONLY. Make sure you are looking at 'road race' spec items. Howe racing, Hotchkis, and Afco are good sorces.
2nd gen. Camaros (70-81) are pretty damn goo right out of the box. Buy some good shocks and a 1 1/4" sway bar from Hellwig, put the rest back stock. You'll be happy.

Old 01-31-2013, 02:24 PM   #1556
jimmydean

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnolimit View Post
Yes, tires make a difference. Be carefull, sticky tires don't last long. When you get down to the 180-220 tread wear range, they're fun, but don't count on more than 3000 miles. I like the BFG KDW's for an all around tire. 300 TW, good grip and they last appx 8-10,000 miles. I know thats not too long, but if your asking about the grip, I'm guessing you DRIVE them hard enough to tell the difference. - That take the life out of them.
I would rather have a fun 10k miles than 25k highway miles.
Dropmember front
Dropmember rear
Corvette discs
Restored raised bed

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php?p=4295210
jimmydean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 03:24 AM   #1557
cory d

im drawing up some plans fro a battery box i can stuff behind the rear passenger tire on my stepper. wont help too much with moxing more weight to the back but every bit helps.
cory d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 08:42 AM   #1558
bdiamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by cory d View Post
im drawing up some plans fro a battery box i can stuff behind the rear passenger tire on my stepper. wont help too much with moxing more weight to the back but every bit helps.
I modified the stock tray to do this on my old stepside. Fit like a glove. It was a PITA to access with jumper cables so I'd suggest remote jumper posts
bdiamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 04:59 PM   #1559
68Stepbed

Quote:
Originally Posted by cory d View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdiamond View Post
I modified the stock tray to do this on my old stepside. Fit like a glove. It was a PITA to access with jumper cables so I'd suggest remote jumper posts
Any pics?

Old 02-01-2013, 05:00 PM   #1560
cory d

im just going to have a door in the inside of the bed so it can be sealed off from any mud/snow/rock/grass/water from the back tire. do you have any pictures of it?
cory d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 02:04 PM   #1561
bdiamond

That truck has been gone nearly 20 years. But, if I remember right I shortened up the triangle brackets under the tray and redrilled holes. The bottom holes went thru the angle at the bottom of the bed . It was kinda primitive and the battery sat really high in the fender but it worked was solid and it was all we had back then...
bdiamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 01:23 PM   #1562
robnolimit

OK west coaster's, The first So Cal Challange event of 2013 is coming up on March 2, in Riverside. Don't miss out on a great track day. All American powered cars'trucks are welcome. This year we are capping the Riverside and Camaillo events at 50 enties. Check it out at www.socalchallange.com

Old 02-09-2013, 09:13 PM   #1563
72chevynoob

Finally! Read the whole thing! I have a question, why does the no limit panhard have a bushing in one end and a heim joint in the other? Is it for some give, or would I be ok to put rod ends in both ends of mine?
Justin
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-10-2013, 05:54 AM   #1564
69vetteside

I installed my NO LIMIT panhard this weekend and i have the same question.
would'nt it be easier to adjust having a left and right hiem joint on both ends.i thought it a bit time consuming having to unbolt and take of then adjust and rebolt up till you got the right measurement.
But all that aside it works great and has contributed to the truck handleing a bit better.
Now i definetly have to put my C notch's on as that tiny bracket was just enough to lower it so now it hits on big bumps in the road. must have been close to the limit before
69vetteside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 12:07 PM   #1565
higXtech

this is such a great thread. I'm looking forward to a future Make it stop thread.
Old 02-17-2013, 12:40 PM   #1566
DURG

Rear suspension is now complete. The bolt on brackets will be welded and I will remove the top bolt and sleeves so as not to interfere with the bump stop installed on the underside of the notch. I will also need to weld up the 2 piece Porterbuilt rear end tube mounts when the pinion angle is final. I ended up with 15.5" long arms on the rear bar and it's 37.5 inches wide .095" diameter for a rating of ~175 lbs. @ 5 degrees of twist. I will probably drill some more holes in the arms just to make them look cooler when I tear the truck chassis back down for paint. I used the greaseable bushings. There does look like 10 pounds of **** in a 5 pound bag back here, but everything appears to have adequate clearance and should be fine.

DURG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 12:54 PM   #1567
theastronaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by higXtech View Post
this is such a great thread. I'm looking forward to a future Make it stop thread.
That would be a great topic!
Posted via Mobile Device
theastronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 12:38 AM   #1568
jlsanborn

Quote:
Originally Posted by DURG View Post
Rear suspension is now complete. The bolt on brackets will be welded and I will remove the top bolt and sleeves so as not to interfere with the bump stop installed on the underside of the notch. I will also need to weld up the 2 piece Porterbuilt rear end tube mounts when the pinion angle is final. I ended up with 15.5" long arms on the rear bar and it's 37.5 inches wide .095" diameter for a rating of ~175 lbs. @ 5 degrees of twist. I will probably drill some more holes in the arms just to make them look cooler when I tear the truck chassis back down for paint. I used the greaseable bushings. There does look like 10 pounds of **** in a 5 pound bag back here, but everything appears to have adequate clearance and should be fine.

That's effin handy work there man! Nice job!
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=471776
jlsanborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 09:42 AM   #1569
GEARBOXGARAGE

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72chevynoob View Post
Finally! Read the whole thing! I have a question, why does the no limit panhard have a bushing in one end and a heim joint in the other? Is it for some give, or would I be ok to put rod ends in both ends of mine?
Justin
Posted via Mobile Device
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69vetteside View Post
I installed my NO LIMIT panhard this weekend and i have the same question.
would'nt it be easier to adjust having a left and right hiem joint on both ends.i thought it a bit time consuming having to unbolt and take of then adjust and rebolt up till you got the right measurement.
But all that aside it works great and has contributed to the truck handleing a bit better.
Now i definetly have to put my C notch's on as that tiny bracket was just enough to lower it so now it hits on big bumps in the road. must have been close to the limit before
The NO LIMIT bar has a slight bend in it to clear the diff housing, the welded end with a bushing serves as a way to keep the orientation of the bend in the right location, away from the diff.
GEARBOXGARAGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 01:16 PM   #1570
robnolimit

The heim on one end helps to eliminate any mismatch between the mounts. If the two ends are 'bushed', and one mount isn't parallel to the other, then there is a constant bind. the kit in question is a bolt-on, mostly, and we have to take into account the variables of 40+ year old chassis. If it was a pure weld-on, we would rely on the installer to set these parts accurately. OE bolt holes may force a mount 1 or 2 degrees off, so we use a hiem to eliminate any potential binding.

Old 02-19-2013, 05:58 AM   #1571
69vetteside

thanks rob for clarifying.
69vetteside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 11:07 AM   #1572
72chevynoob

^x2
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-19-2013, 01:12 PM   #1573
robnolimit

BTW, I like the panhard set up shown above. Long and low, very nice. Towards the end of last season, the Hellboy was really coming together after a half season of tuning, and a 'first ever' happened. At the Good-Guys Del Mar show, we actually raised the panhard bar up one step to raise the roll center. ??? Yep. The spring/shock/swaybar set up was so good the the back of the truck was a little 'too' well planted, and wasn't rotating in the corner. The back being so well planted caused the front to 'push' a bit. This is the first time we ever wanted less rear bite. By the time we made the adjustment, there was only time for one run, and although better, we didn't catch Brett's '33. But now we know.

Old 02-22-2013, 12:51 PM   #1574
robnolimit

Last night i was invited to the premier of a new Speed CHannel show, "R U Faster than a Redneck" Its american muscle against import power, with a bunch of good guys in the mix. We know most of the "Rednecks" from autocross and American Streetcar series, and they did a great job showing off our hot rodding and pro-touring addiction. This show will air on monday nights on Speed. Special airing tonight, friday, on Speed, not sure of the time. CHeck it out for a fun 30 minutes.

Old 02-22-2013, 01:42 PM   #1575
68Stepbed

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnolimit View Post
Last night i was invited to the premier of a new Speed CHannel show, "R U Faster than a Redneck" Its american muscle against import power, with a bunch of good guys in the mix. We know most of the "Rednecks" from autocross and American Streetcar series, and they did a great job showing off our hot rodding and pro-touring addiction. This show will air on monday nights on Speed. Special airing tonight, friday, on Speed, not sure of the time. CHeck it out for a fun 30 minutes.
My DVR is already set. I've been keeping up with it on pro-touring.com.