The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-15-2009, 02:18 PM   #10
justcuz

Re: 68 S/C update.....

Nice truck and a great set of additions. I like the fact that you made it usable as a truck again and yet maintained all the go fast goodies. A true dual purpose vehicle.
I take it you are done in New Mexico and back in Florida permanently.
Quite a change I bet. Nice picture with the family, now I know why you are building a Suburban and a Crewcab!
Thanks for keeping us in the loop with your builds, they are top notch!

I am considering converting my 72 long bed to 3/4 ton since I need a good tow vehicle. I have the HO52 (4.56 or 4.11 I have both) and front disc spindles, calipers, hubs and LCA's.

Plan is 350 4bbl, 700R4, HO52 with disc brake conversion and a 14 bolt Detroit Locker, 8 lug disk brake front end conversion. I will probably leave the 1/2 ton springs in it and use 265/75x16 tires on late model Chevy aluminum wheels and caps. Air bags or factory add on leaf overloads in the rear to handle toungue or load weight.

Looking at the rear axle I am figuring a 3.20 overall ratio in OD if I use 4.56's and 2.90 if I use 4.11's. Probably only a couple hundred RPM difference at 70-75 cruise speeds. If I use the 4.56's I'll have a lot of low end grunt to get stuff moving.

Final consideration is a Blazer tank in the rear between the frame rails, with the filler behind the tailight or side marker and move the step bumper up, by replacing the S bracket with straight stock and running the receiver hitch through the bumper to the rear crossmember.

I see in your vehicles you have gone away from 8 lug to lighter running gear but for me and the way I use my vehicles I prefer the beef of the 3/4 ton running gear and brakes.

Last edited by justcuz; 11-15-2009 at 02:19 PM.
justcuz is offline   Reply With Quote